Live match spectating on VOOT xbla - could they patch it?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
max99

Live match spectating on VOOT xbla - could they patch it?

Post by max99 »

loving this xbla version of Voot to bits but the one massive omission for me is not being able to spectate live matches, particularly in the party lobby setup.

does anyone think this would be possible in a patch? i dont see why it cant be done from a technical point of view. ok so it could introduce some lag but if it was implemented as an option when setting up the lobby people could enable or disable it. also a similar system worked perfectly in virtua tennis 2 and rockstars table tennis.

the online party system in this version of Voot is such a good idea but having live spectating would lift it to another level...you could host proper tourneys and gatherings that way.

looking at the leaderboards approx 19000 people have bought this game so hopefully sega will be motivated to enhance the game with a patch sometime in the future.
Rav3nlock

Re: Live match spectating on VOOT xbla - could they patch it?

Post by Rav3nlock »

I think it could be done. So long as the host/opponent is first priority, broadcasting to a spectator might lag behind a bit but I imagine it wouldn't cause serious lag overall with a decent connection. Then if there are multiple spectators, the code could have one spectator broadcast to other spectators, and if there's some lag for the spectators, it's not such a big deal.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

One of the earliest comments from the developers was that this feature would not be included, so don't get your hopes up. It definitely would be a cool feature, though.

But, there are some concerns about having live spectators. The problem is that the spectators could possible give info on one player to the other. In games with such a feature, this issue is resolved by delaying the game info sent to spectators (typically a configurable amount of time). Though for player matches, it's not that big of a deal... I don't think there would be any problem with having party members spec other party members.
MentholMoose
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Yeah, this would be awesome for party lobby matches.
If they could patch it so that you could upload more replays and could add names to them(to name for example the players), I'd probably like that more instead.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
max99

Post by max99 »

MentholMoose wrote:But, there are some concerns about having live spectators. The problem is that the spectators could possible give info on one player to the other. In games with such a feature, this issue is resolved by delaying the game info sent to spectators (typically a configurable amount of time). Though for player matches, it's not that big of a deal... I don't think there would be any problem with having party members spec other party members.
that's a fair point but would this be much different from the vs city setups in japanese arcades where they have a live monitor showing currently played games? i guess the difference would be the viewer would be in private chat as opposed to standing in a public place.

i'd sort of agree that this feature probably shouldnt be implemented in ranked matches for that reason...but it would be awesome for party lobbies.

the replays in Voot look so incredible....i love watching them.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

They could add it if they wanted, but most likely won't happen since that's a big request for a patch given that this is a $15 and the game isn't that popular compared to bigger names.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken