Articles covering VOOT VER.5.66 for Xbox 360

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Articles covering VOOT VER.5.66 for Xbox 360

Post by somepunk »

looks like it's getting the coverage it deserves!

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/962/962811p1.html
Last edited by admin on 26 Mar 2009, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: generalized topic subject
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Re: new voot ign topic

Post by RVR - 42 »

WOOO HOO! Heck yes! I'm so pumped. VO! VO! VO! Hahaha! And those new Virtual On models. Already planning on buying a Cypher and Battler. Assuming they have those. They better darnit! I so am wishing for a PSN release though. Oh my gosh...why would they do this exclusively. WHY! WHY SEGA! This is what ive been dying for[kinda] and I still can't access it. =(
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: new voot ign topic

Post by MentholMoose »

Decent article, and there appears to be some new screenshots.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Articles covering VOOT VER.5.66 for Xbox 360

Post by MentholMoose »

There seems to be links to various articles all over the forum. Let's use this topic for sharing links.

Virtual On Playtest, by Anoop Gantayat.
Virtual Ontaku, by Ollie Barder (Cacophanus).
Two Sticks of Fury, by Scott Francis.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

here are a few (slightly) related sites.

http://www.forums.benheck.com/ (system hacking/modding community)
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com (dreamcast fanboy type forum)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Here's a forum thread where people are discussing modding Twin Sticks:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=181283

Here's a video showing some controller options in the demo at a recent event:
http://b.hatena.ne.jp/entry/http://www. ... /sm6438684
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

MentholMoose wrote:Here's a forum thread where people are discussing modding Twin Sticks:
It's funny how I forget about shoryuken.com, i've been a member there for a whlie now ^^;;;;

Interesting thread though.

On an unrelated *sort of* note, it's now "Impossible" to find twin-sticks on ebay...or if so, only the saturn ones...

I really just need the pcb, but i doubt i'll easily find that on it's own...

At any rate, nice find.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:Here's a forum thread where people are discussing modding Twin Sticks:
It's funny how I forget about shoryuken.com, i've been a member there for a whlie now ^^;;;;

Interesting thread though.

On an unrelated *sort of* note, it's now "Impossible" to find twin-sticks on ebay...or if so, only the saturn ones...

I really just need the pcb, but i doubt i'll easily find that on it's own...

At any rate, nice find.
Here ya go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Dreamcast-DC-T ... .m20.l1116

Modify your search entries a bitl ;)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Woah, thanks.

"Way" out of my price range atm...but thanks for the find.

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:Woah, thanks.

"Way" out of my price range atm...but thanks for the find.
Yeah, unfortunately Sega under-produced the DC Twin Sticks (they were probably gun shy after apparently over-producing Saturn Twin Sticks). The strange thing is that they had the chance to produce enough because they did in fact do a second production run of DC Twin Sticks (the second version fixed some design flaws of the first). I guess they ignored their demand forecast analysts, or the forecasts were off. On the other hand, the MSRP of DC Twin Sticks was around $70, so $105 is only a 50% price premium.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

yeah, we're looking at $115 at this one though, which considering everything, isn't "that" bad.

Maybe I "Might" be able to pick these up, but it may or may not happen (probrably not)

Yeah, I know, i've build my own set and all, but i'd still love to own a pair of DC sticks...*shrugs*

Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

I'd say you'd better buy 'em as you see 'em, before the "Street Fighter 4" effect kicks in.

What's that, you ask?

Remember how before SF4 hit, if you wanted a arcade stick, or if you wanted parts to build an arcade stick, it was no problem. When the game came out, all of a sudden, the masses discovered that SF4 and fighting games in general play better with a stick (WOW!!), so then EVERYONE decided they NEEDED a stick. Now you can't find any sticks or order any parts, unless you wanna get raped on the 'bay.

Now, since this game is rather niche, I don't forsee absolute pandemonium on that scale, but remember this: you only see 2-4 auctions for Saturn and/or DC sticks at any given time. So supply is ridiculously low as it is. When VOOT does come out, and the VOOT fans that HAVEN'T heard about it are blindsided by this, then THEY pop on the internet and discover people are modding twin sticks, then THEY tell THEIR fellow VOOT cave dwellers...well...now you get the idea.

In other news, Outrun Coast to Coast is slated for release of XBLA this week...there goes ALL of my productivity. T_T

I predict the week VOOT hits, you'll see Twin Stick auctions spike to $300-$400 dollars.

My suggestion: If you don't have VOOT sticks, and you know you want or NEEEEED VOOT sticks, get them NOW. Cause if Sega doesn't release a 360 version, these are gonna go from endangered species to extinct in 2.5 seconds. :shock:
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Knoxximus wrote:I'd say you'd better buy 'em as you see 'em, before the "Street Fighter 4" effect kicks in.

What's that, you ask?

Remember how before SF4 hit, if you wanted a arcade stick, or if you wanted parts to build an arcade stick, it was no problem. When the game came out, all of a sudden, the masses discovered that SF4 and fighting games in general play better with a stick (WOW!!), so then EVERYONE decided they NEEDED a stick. Now you can't find any sticks or order any parts, unless you wanna get raped on the 'bay.

Now, since this game is rather niche, I don't forsee absolute pandemonium on that scale, but remember this: you only see 2-4 auctions for Saturn and/or DC sticks at any given time. So supply is ridiculously low as it is. When VOOT does come out, and the VOOT fans that HAVEN'T heard about it are blindsided by this, then THEY pop on the internet and discover people are modding twin sticks, then THEY tell THEIR fellow VOOT cave dwellers...well...now you get the idea.

In other news, Outrun Coast to Coast is slated for release of XBLA this week...there goes ALL of my productivity. T_T

I predict the week VOOT hits, you'll see Twin Stick auctions spike to $300-$400 dollars.

My suggestion: If you don't have VOOT sticks, and you know you want or NEEEEED VOOT sticks, get them NOW. Cause if Sega doesn't release a 360 version, these are gonna go from endangered species to extinct in 2.5 seconds. :shock:

Great, and i probrably won't get more funds till near the end of the month...ARGG...

You do bring up a good point though.

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

As previously reported in my DC Twin Stick mod thread:

News: Modded DC Oratan Sticks, by Ollie Barder.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:I'd say you'd better buy 'em as you see 'em, before the "Street Fighter 4" effect kicks in.

What's that, you ask?

Is that the price you expect for unmodded DC Twin Sticks in the US? If so, I don't see it happening. There are significant barriers to using unmodded Twin Sticks for VOOT on Xbox 360; $300-400 plus the cost of modding (not a DIY option for 99% of people) is a bit steep for a 10 year old niche title, that is basically just an update of a title that has already seen a domestic release. Even if an adapter is released (like the Total Control 3), I still wouldn't expect many people to pay $300-400 plus the cost of an adapter.

Also keep in mind the supply for DC Twin Sticks on eBay is low because they were never released here. There are a number of auctions on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, at reasonable prices (near original MSRP). The main problem for US players is the killer shipping from Japan, but I would expect to see more Japanese sellers offering Twin Sticks on eBay.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Back on topic, here is a guide for modding an Xbox 360 controller. I found it useful when I was researching how to mod my DC Twin Sticks. It provides some good background info on controller modding. The mod shown in the guide is basically the same as what I did, except different connectors (the guide shows how to mod the controller to connect to a "Universal PCB", whereas mine just connects to the DC Twin Sticks).
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... -a-Univer/
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:

What's that, you ask?

Is that the price you expect for unmodded DC Twin Sticks in the US? If so, I don't see it happening. There are significant barriers to using unmodded Twin Sticks for VOOT on Xbox 360; $300-400 plus the cost of modding (not a DIY option for 99% of people) is a bit steep for a 10 year old niche title, that is basically just an update of a title that has already seen a domestic release. Even if an adapter is released (like the Total Control 3), I still wouldn't expect many people to pay $300-400 plus the cost of an adapter.

Also keep in mind the supply for DC Twin Sticks on eBay is low because they were never released here. There are a number of auctions on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, at reasonable prices (near original MSRP). The main problem for US players is the killer shipping from Japan, but I would expect to see more Japanese sellers offering Twin Sticks on eBay.
People might not end up paying those prices, but never underestimate an eBayer's greed. :lol: ;)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

MentholMoose wrote:Also keep in mind the supply for DC Twin Sticks on eBay is low because they were never released here. There are a number of auctions on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, at reasonable prices (near original MSRP). The main problem for US players is the killer shipping from Japan, but I would expect to see more Japanese sellers offering Twin Sticks on eBay.
I spoke too soon, it seems prices for used DC Twin Sticks have spiked recently, to about $90 on Yahoo! JP Auctions. :shock:
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b96335664
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e90560173
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Thats still not too bad though...

Turbovec

Post by Turbovec »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:Thats still not too bad though...
Until you tack on shipping, and if you use Rinkya, the additional handling and storage fee.