Fixing a Saturn Twinstick

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
Graalof1ce
Gamertag: Skydriverice

Fixing a Saturn Twinstick

Post by Graalof1ce »

Hey guys, had a question I figured you guys would be able to answer.

I love playing VOOT on my Dreamcast with my Saturn Twinsticks and converter. But lately the right turbo button has been acting up....Pressing it won't acivate a dash sometimes, and I have to push it in harder sometimes to make it work.

So before I go opening a very piece of hardware, do you guys know what the problem is? Or better yet, how to properly open one of these suckers? It cost me around 80 bucks, so I naturally don't want to screw anything up!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Fixing a Saturn Twinstick

Post by MentholMoose »

I haven't seen an intermittent turbo button before, but I have some suggestions.

First I'd inspect the turbo/weapon PCB inside the stick handle with the problematic button. The stick handle and PCB in the Saturn Twin Sticks are compatible with the arcade equivalent, so check out this thread for pics:
VOOT arcade stick pics

Remove the three screws holding the stick handle together, open it up, and look at the PCB. Check the contact on the PCB for the turbo button... I'd suggest cleaning it. For best results use some electronics cleaner. You can also try a pencil eraser, or isopropyl alcohol. Once you clean the contact, reassemble and test.

Another thing to check is the connection from the stick PCB to the Saturn controller PCB inside the base of the Twin Sticks. Remove the six or so screws from the bottom plate and remove it. There is a PCB inside with a variety of connectors. Securely connect any loose connectors. While you're working on these, it would be good to just disconnect and reconnect all of them.

If cleaning the contact on the PCB doesn't work, a soldering point somewhere might be bad. Check the solder points for the wires connecting to the turbo/weapon PCB. If any appear loose, they need to be redone. The fix may be as simple as heating it up with a soldering iron, letting the solder re-flow over the area, and letting it cool again. If that doesn't work, you can de-solder, clean, and redo the soldering point. If the turbo/weapon PCB has good solder points, check the solder points for the headers on the controller PCB in the base.

Another possibility is a problem with the conductive pad that touches the contact. I don't know where to get a replacement, unfortunately, but you can try cleaning it (e.g. using isopropyl alcohol) to see if it helps. You can also try to repair it. I found a guide for repairing those pads, but I don't know if it will work (check the "Remote Control Does Not Work" section), so do some more research before trying any repairs:
Useful Tips

Anyway, let us know how it goes. Good luck!!
MentholMoose
Graalof1ce
Gamertag: Skydriverice

Post by Graalof1ce »

I took your advice MM and found enough courage to open this bad boy. I opened the troubled stick and gave the contact PCB a little rub with an eraser. I put it all back together, and it worked like a champ.

Funny thing is, it looked fine when I opened it. Maybe when I put it back together I re-aligned something that was loose. Oh well, I'm content to calling it luck and moving on. I tried to open the base up, but couldn't really figure out how to. I didn't want to be rough on the poor thing, so I screwed all the screws back in.

Another question though to you twinstick users; do your twinsticks have a twisty motion to them?

My sticks were bought used, and when I got them I noticed I could twist the sticks just slighty. It felt odd since other twinsticks in the arcades never did that. Anyone know if this is anything to worry about?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

The handles on the Saturn and DC Twin Sticks, and some revisions of arcade VOOT Twin Sticks, can twist slightly on the stick shaft. So yes, some twisting is normal. Now if it's 90 degrees or something, it's too much. :)

For getting the base off, you remove the screws and pull the base off. None of the screws are hidden, but the base might be slightly stuck, requiring you to use a screwdriver to pry it off.
MentholMoose