VOOT 5.2 Arcade Panel measurements

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
jiakhang

VOOT 5.2 Arcade Panel measurements

Post by jiakhang »

Hi, I am looking forward to create a custom twin sticks that is similar to the arcade 5.2 version.
Does anyone has the measurement of the distance between the center of the 2 sticks ?
According to another post, there is a difference between the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast sticks in term of the spacing of the sticks. Is the arcade stick any different? Unfortunately, all the arcades that had VOOT 5.2 which I played a lot on in my country went bust, so I could not get any measurement done.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: VOOT 5.2 Arcade Panel measurements

Post by MentholMoose »

Welcome to the forum. I have the measurements for the VER.5.2 versus city panel, but not from the panel from the deluxe cabinet. The sticks on the deluxe panel are even further apart. IMO the spacing on the versus city panel is actually better.

From here:
MentholMoose wrote:Here are my measurements for the VER.5.2 versus city panel:

Code: Select all

Panel layout:
| a |    b    | c |    d    | e |

Measurements:
a = e = 32mm
c = 24mm
b = d = 92mm

Calculations:
midpoint a to c = midpoint c to e = 120mm
midpoint a to e = 240mm
In case it's not clear, "a" and "e" are the holes for the sticks, "c" is the hole for START, and "b" and "d" is the space between the stick and START button holes. These measurements were done using a digital caliper on a bare panel (no buttons/sticks installed), and I rounded to the nearest mm (usually within about 0.05mm of the measurement value).
MentholMoose
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

MentholMoose wrote:Welcome to the forum. I have the measurements for the VER.5.2 versus city panel, but not from the panel from the deluxe cabinet. The sticks on the deluxe panel are even further apart. IMO the spacing on the versus city panel is actually better.

From here:
MentholMoose wrote:Here are my measurements for the VER.5.2 versus city panel:

Code: Select all

Panel layout:
| a |    b    | c |    d    | e |

Measurements:
a = e = 32mm
c = 24mm
b = d = 92mm

Calculations:
midpoint a to c = midpoint c to e = 120mm
midpoint a to e = 240mm
In case it's not clear, "a" and "e" are the holes for the sticks, "c" is the hole for START, and "b" and "d" is the space between the stick and START button holes. These measurements were done using a digital caliper on a bare panel (no buttons/sticks installed), and I rounded to the nearest mm (usually within about 0.05mm of the measurement value).
I have started to design and gather the necessary parts. A few things are now under consideration.
1) Conversion of Xbox360 wired controller's analog stick to digital for the right joystick. How can this be done since Hori can do it in their version.

2) Sanwa's official site does not support shipping to Singapore and accepts only cash on delivery and bank transfer. Is there any online shops that sells them and accept credit cards?

While the Sanwa buttons are easily available, their sticks are hard to get from resellers. (JLJ-PL2-8V). Anyone have any luck on these?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

jiakhang wrote:1) Conversion of Xbox360 wired controller's analog stick to digital for the right joystick. How can this be done since Hori can do it in their version.
To start, the right analog stick has to be removed, and each axis must be set to neutral using two resistors. You can see the process here:
Removing the Analog sticks.

Once the stick is removed and both axes has been replaced with resistors, you can connect the signal for each directional switch on the joystick to each corresponding analog signal line on the controller, and the ground for each directional switch to ground on the controller.

If you don't have extensive soldering experience and the right tools, you will have a very hard time doing this. Even with the right tools and experience, it will be difficult and time consuming. Furthermore, if you mess up either axis on the analog stick, the controller will be unusable for VOOT and many other games because some direction will be permanently "stuck" on.

The ABXY buttons work perfectly for the right stick, and are much easier to mod. Hori is using a purpose-built controller PCB, so they can design the right analog stick to be digital. Since Hori is doing an officially licensed controller, it is highly likely that Microsoft required them to use this bizarre control scheme.
jiakhang wrote:2) Sanwa's official site does not support shipping to Singapore and accepts only cash on delivery and bank transfer. Is there any online shops that sells them and accept credit cards?

While the Sanwa buttons are easily available, their sticks are hard to get from resellers. (JLJ-PL2-8V). Anyone have any luck on these?
Sorry, I don't know any resellers serving Singapore. Hopefully someone else can help with this.
MentholMoose