My quest in getting my VOOM and Twinstick PC to work

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
darwinshah

My quest in getting my VOOM and Twinstick PC to work

Post by darwinshah »

Hi guys.. ive done lots of research in getting my twintick PC to work on my windows 7 laptop.. just a few tips for anyone facing this same problem..
if u emulate windows 98 on virtual PC 2007.. VOOM works well but the music is absent during the game.. could be some soundcard installation problem.. however, the biggest problem about virtual PC is it is unable to recognize any USB port.. this means u cant use your joystick, flash drive, external hardrive etc2.. on your windows 98 virtual PC 2007..
then i tried 'virtualbox'.. unfortunately, this programme turned out to be a real disaster.. it is much2 slower than virtual PC.. takes more than 2 hours to install win 98( with lots of error messages in between).. and it cant detect any USB controller even with the 'enable USB option' present..
im now trying out VMWare 8.. i read a few forums stating that it detects USB ports and works well with windows 98.. lets see how it goes.. ill update u guys soon.. adios.. :D
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Re: My quest in getting my VOOM and Twinstick PC to work

Post by neoKEN »

The SEGA PC port of VOOM is kind of awful. There are emulation of the original VOOM arcade for PC. The emulator is called M2Emulator. It plays all Model 2 games including VOOM, Virtua Fighter 2, Dayonta USA. However, since it is emulation the PC system requirement is much higher.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

The PC VOOM version is still far better than the Saturn VOOM version. It plays at high-res for a game of its time (640x480 haha) and has extra perks like being able to change the color of your robots. Really I only had two complaints for PC VOOM. One being that the game ran at 30 fps, same as on Saturn. Two being that the game was horribly unoptimized, was super picky about needing specific drivers and DirectX, and needed twice as much processor power as a comparable looking game of its time should have. We really had difficulty getting a strong enough PC to play VOOM back in the day.

The horrors of inefficient, high-level programming: now we are looking at having to add another layer by having to emulate Windows itself just to run PC VOOM lol!

Considering that extra inefficiency, it probably is far better to emulate the arcade cabinet directly and play arcade VOOM. Unless you also have to emulate the operating system that runs the emulator.

Fortunately all these problems are solved with VOOM released for the PS2 in Japan!! Except both my 2 Japan-region backward-compatible PS3s died to the YLOD a couple years ago. :cry:
darwinshah

Post by darwinshah »

VMware is so far the best programme to emulate any previous version of windows.. however, i still cant get my VOOM and my PC Twinstick to work on emulated windows.. even with the old game port to USB converter connected to my twinstick, emulated windows doesnt seem to be able to detect my twinstick.. i think even if u have the M2emulater virtual on, it may work well in newer operating systems, but to get the pc twinstick connected, it would still be impossible.. it looks like there is only 1 way to get VOOM to work properly together with a well connected and calibrated twinstick.. install a full version of windows 98 or 95 on ur laptop or computer.. not emulated windows.. or get a 2nd hand pc, install windows 98 and use it specifically for virtual on.. which i think is worth it if you are a real die hard virtual on fan.. :) pls update this forum if anyone has any new discoveries on getting the pc twinstick to work on newer operating systems.. thanks guys for your opinions.. :)
GXPT2000
Gamertag: Brain Leech 419

Post by GXPT2000 »

first timer here on the forums, but.
The PC version requires the disk in the computer while playing to have music.
either buy the disk or mount a virtual disk.
VOOM: Temjin, Viper II, Dorkas.
VOOT: Temjin, Aph B.
VO4: Temjin, Aph J/C, Myzr Delta.