Recently picked up a VO OM 2-player Arcade Machine

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Recently picked up a VO OM 2-player Arcade Machine

Post by MentholMoose »

twistedsymphony wrote:Apparently in "Little Tokyo" in LA there is a place called "Japan Arcade" that has one of these machines
Too bad I didn't hear about this place when I worked near downtown and commuted through Union Station daily. I'll try to go sometime to check it out. On Yelp there is a review from 2011 that says they have VOOT, so maybe they still have it. I tried calling today to confirm, but nobody answered.
MentholMoose
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

yeah I found their twitter account and asked via twitter but no response yet.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Wow that place still exists. Yeah I remember that ~13 years ago I went to that exact arcade and either found or didn't find VOOT there. It's been so long, I actually can't remember what I found there. ;)

I *think* I found VOOT there and told Mitch about it and he said something about it. I forgot what he said. But anyway they never really went there to play there, but they knew about it. This was also maybe before the SHGL days or at the very beginning of them, and maybe before I knew who MentholMoose was.

BTW Shinjuku Sportsland didn't seem to have a VO machine when I went in 2005 but I might just not have noticed. Sega Club had VOOM, VOOT 5.66, and Force and was really busy, at least during their peak competitive hours. I don't know how it was like at other times because even though I went to Sega Club earlier, I didn't find out when the top players gathered until a couple days before my trip ended, and I didn't even realize there was more than 1 floor to the arcade so I never saw the VO machines until the end -_-;

I'm not really sure of anything though. I forget everything.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Porcupine wrote:BTW Shinjuku Sportsland didn't seem to have a VO machine when I went in 2005 but I might just not have noticed.
There are (or were) several Shinjuku Sportsland arcades. AFAIK the one known for VO (the one mentioned in the VOOT credits, SSL #3 I think) closed. Anyway the game is old so it is expected that arcade would make room for new machines.

For reference here is the web site:
新宿スポーツランド本館 Web Site
MentholMoose
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

The hunt still continues but check this out...
I found this pic:

I'm pretty sure that's the same machine in LA... it's tagged with "Japanese Arcade LA 2007"

Definitely the best pic of the side art I've seen... and it appears that there's a sticker on the side of the hood as well...

----------

Not really relevant to my project but I also came across these pics:

^this confirms that this particular version of the machine was indeed tagged with "5.2"

------------

Now here's something REALLY cool... an alternate version of the OMG machine that I've never seen before:
Ezara
Gamertag: ezara

Post by Ezara »

Wow that place is still there? Last time I went there everything was is horrible condition. I may have to make a trip there and see if everything is really fixed.
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

Ezara wrote:Wow that place is still there? Last time I went there everything was is horrible condition. I may have to make a trip there and see if everything is really fixed.
if you do make a trip I would be greatly appreciative if you could get some high resolution photos straight on of every one of the stickers :D
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:
twistedsymphony wrote:Apparently in "Little Tokyo" in LA there is a place called "Japan Arcade" that has one of these machines
Too bad I didn't hear about this place when I worked near downtown and commuted through Union Station daily. I'll try to go sometime to check it out. On Yelp there is a review from 2011 that says they have VOOT, so maybe they still have it. I tried calling today to confirm, but nobody answered.
I noticed a yelp review from 5/20/2013 that claimed they still have VOOT... so I think it's pretty good that the machine is still there... now I just need to find someone who can take some high quality photos for me.
PizzaDrill

Post by PizzaDrill »

snip
Last edited by PizzaDrill on 15 Dec 2019, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

I wouldn't say I'm as crazy about VO as other people on this forum... I just love Arcade machines and VO is one of my favorites. I have fond memories of playing it in college.

I'm honestly pretty crap at the game but I'm better than my friends to the point where none of them will play against me :P

Where about are you located?
caffeine
Gamertag: CaffeineGunman

Re: Ebay & Craigslist Arcade Thread

Post by caffeine »

Hi, I bought the Japan Arcade's VOOT cabinet when it went to auction. I'm sorry if in doing so I have unintentionally messed up some of your plans to acquire spare parts and art. I am a private game collector as well (Not an arcade dealer). I've always wanted a VO cab, so rest assured that the cabinet is going to be well taken care of.

To be perfectly honest, I had no idea that I was actually going to be able to buy VOOT. I actually wanted to buy the "Typing of the Dead" cabinet (Also from the Japan Arcade) that was also being auctioned off, thinking that all of the professional arcade operators would consider it too weird of a machine to make them a profit with and thus not bother bidding on it. I also assumed VOOT would have immediately gone far out of my price range by some truly hardcore fighting game fans through the internet bidding. Surprisingly, the exact opposite happened. An internet bidder fought me fiercly on TOTD (A bidding war I lost), whereas my only competition for VOOT was an arcade operator that I think wanted to sell the machine for parts. I seriously expected VOOT to go for much more.

I found this site while looking for more information on OT machines. I'm currently storing the game at my parent's house until I actually have room to set it up at my place (An apartment is not the best place for an arcade machine the size of a small car), but I would be more than happy to provide pictures of the internals or cabinet art to anyone that is interested (Although since it is not where I can see it on a daily basis, there might be a bit of a delay). I know this game is a bit of a rarity, so I'll try to provide whatever help and resources I can.
Last edited by caffeine on 14 Dec 2013, 18:03, edited 2 times in total.
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

caffeine wrote:Hi, I attended the auction and bought the Japan Arcade's VOOT cabinet. I'm sorry if in doing so I have unintentionally messed up some of your plans to acquire spare parts and art. I am a private game collector as well (Not an arcade dealer). I've always wanted a VO cab, so rest assured that the cabinet is going to be well taken care of.

To be perfectly honest, I had no idea that I was actually going to be able to buy VOOT. I actually wanted to buy TOTD, thinking that all of the professional arcade operators would consider it too weird of a machine to make them a profit with and thus not bother bidding on it. I also assumed VOOT would have immediately gone far out of my price range by some truly hardcore fighting game fans through the internet bidding. Surprisingly, the exact opposite happened. An internet bidder fought me fiercly on TOTD (A bidding war I lost), whereas my only competition for VOOT was an arcade operator that I think wanted to sell the machine for parts. I seriously expected VOOT to go for much more.

I found this site while looking for more information on OT machines. I'm currently storing the game at my parent's house until I actually have room to set it up at my place (An apartment is not the best place for an arcade machine the size of a small car), but I would be more than happy to provide pictures of the internals or cabinet art to anyone that is interested (Although since it is not where I can see it on a daily basis, there might be a bit of a delay). I know this game is a bit of a rarity, so I'll try to provide whatever help and resources I can.
You realize you are now my new best friend :lol:

I have an original Virtual On "Operation Moongate" (OMG) machine that I've restored and I'd like to convert to VOOT. The machine you bought was an OMG that was converted to VOOT using Sega's official kit. you can tell by the side art and set-back art as it was literally placed over the original art-work. I have a thread on this topic around here explaining the differences between the different VOOT cabs (there are 3 different Twin units including the conversion machines like yours).

I don't mind piecing together my upgrade, but chances are finding new and unused artwork will be nearly impossible so the next best thing is making reproduction, ideally from scans.

I don't know if you have a scanner but the process of scanning arcade art is explained here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOOt-BjISKA

with all the curved pieces on a VO cab you might have to use a scanner like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5pSjP2_rkk

I would seriously be willing to buy you a scanner, if you'd be willing to scan all of the art for me, pretty much every sticker except for the control panels.
caffeine

Post by caffeine »

I saw some of the other topics talking about the earlier cabinets being VOOM conversions. I'd be more than happy to take some scans to help reproduce the VOOT sideart. I think the price of a few NOS VOOM decals is more than I payed for my entire machine! I can't imagine what someone would charge for VOOT NOS by comparison. I think I have a handheld scanner sitting around somewhere, though I don't know what the resolution is on it. Again, I won't be able to take the scans until I have a free weekend to devote to it (Probably sometime after New Years at the earliest). In exchange, I hope you don't mind if I ask you an occasional arcade game maintenence question? (Advice on how to repair some common components, good places to get parts, etc.)
caffeine

Post by caffeine »

Hey Twisted. I sent you a PM with a link to some test scans. Check them out when you have time and let me know if you think scanning like this will be accurate enough.
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

SOOOOOO stoked! I finally managed to snag not one but 2 Model 3 VOOT boards for my cab through YAJ... currently waiting on shipping from Japan but I can't wait to get them in...

both V5.2

Now I need everything else... marquees, cab-artwork and control panels...
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

So after all this time I finally Installed the Model 3 boards in my OMG Twin unit.

had to install new power supplies and re-wire all of the power wiring to make it happen but it's done.

I also discovered there a code in the service menu to translate the game to English! (codes for that and all other Model 3 games can be found here: http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/i ... #post13286)

I haven't done the control panels or any of the artwork yet... I'm still looking for marquees.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Nice work. I didn't know that the language could be changed! I was previously under the impression that it was a different ROM. It's good to know that there isn't some special English VOOT 5.2/5.4 version out there.
MentholMoose
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

yup there are a few different Model 3 games that require different roms for english but most simply need the region changed on the main board by way of the secret service menu code, including VOOT.

the code works on both 5.2 and 5.4

I'm fairly certain that 5.66 is Japanese only though. NAOMI games change region based on the bios and while 5.66 will run with a USA bios it remains in Japanese.