Virtual On Arcade Start Button Problem

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
RetroNick
Gamertag: sinistar56

Virtual On Arcade Start Button Problem

Post by RetroNick »

I'm having a slight problem with my somewhat recently acquired Virtual On cabinet.

Out of the blue that start button the Master side stopped working. I opened up the control panel and disconnected the button and reconnected it to have it toggle "Start". Upon opening up the input diagnostics, I was able to determine that the button is in a perpetual state of "on". Anyone else run into this? I'm about 95% sure it's the button itself, but I have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

Nick
Dig it old school? Why not follow me around on Retronick.com?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Virtual On Arcade Start Button Problem

Post by MentholMoose »

The easiest solution is probably to replace the microswitch.
MentholMoose
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

those old Sega buttons are kind of weird , different than typical buttons, the micro-switch it self isn't replaceable, you have to replace the whole button. (at least the ones on my machine are) I'm honestly not sure where you could get a replacement... the Operators Manual should have a part number and it might be possible to call Sega and get an original replacement.

I believe the Sanwa buttons might be the right size, if you don't mind the slightly different look it probably be cheaper to just find a suitable modern replacement.
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

so I had the operators manual out to look something up and I found the part number and searched on it...

here is the actual sega part: http://arcadefixit.com/product.sc;jsess ... goryId=142

I've ordered from arcadefixit before, great guys they also sell new old stock cabinet artwork for virtual on, it's pricey but it's all brand new original Sega parts.
here's the link to the VO artwork: http://arcadefixit.com/category.sc?categoryId=167
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

$30 for a button!? Would a standard Sanwa or Seimitsu button (at maybe 1/5th the cost) fit instead?
MentholMoose
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

I'm pretty sure it's smaller than a standard "American" style arcade button, you'd have to pull the button and measure the hole to be sure. Not sure if the Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons are smaller in diameter.

I didn't realize they're suppose to light up until I looked up the part... I guess the lights on mine are broken.

If I have time to pull it and test some other buttons I'll post back. I'd hate to have to drill out the control panel just to fit a cheaper button though.

EDIT: for reference Sanwa makes buttons for 30mm and 24mm holes, American style buttons use a 1.125" (~28.5mm) hole

no idea what size the VOOM control panel uses.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

The VOOT Ver.5.2 versus city panels and the Ver.5.66 panels take standard 24mm buttons.
MentholMoose
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive

I asked around and the button is made by Sunmulon model: DHM-3R1YW

I guess a lot of Sega games use these Sunmulon buttons

aside from arcadefixit you can buy them from DeviceTec http://www.devicetec.net for $12 a piece with a minimum order of 5... so, not much more cost effective.

however the spec sheet calls for a 25mm hole and it looks like you can get 24mm Sanwa snap in buttons from paradisearcadeshop.com ... for $3-$5 a piece ($3 for normal buttons, $5 for clear light up buttons) so thats a much cheaper alternative if you don't mind non-original parts.

thanks for your help everyone.
RetroNick
Gamertag: sinistar56

Post by RetroNick »

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone, and sorry for my delayed response (August isn't ready to give me a break yet).

I opened up the panel the other day, disconnected those few wires that connect the start button to the PCB and blew it out with some canned air and POOF! It's working great now. There must have been some small particle that was gumming up the works and keeping the thing toggled in a perpetual state of "on".

Again, thanks for all your suggestions. Now I know where to buy a button once that thing ultimately dies for real.
Dig it old school? Why not follow me around on Retronick.com?