Using Twin Sticks on the Xbox One

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
senappa
Gamertag: Senappa

Using Twin Sticks on the Xbox One

Post by senappa »

Hi all, I've been lurking for some time, and went through some trial and errors, and finally getting my 360 Twin sticks to work on the Xbox One. Couldn't find much about this stuff anywhere else, so I thought I'd post here for some other poor soul trying to get this to work.

I've accomplished this in two ways:

Method 1:
This is how I got started. It's the method I've seen posted in a single article somewhere. But it involves a Cronusmax controller adapter (I used the CronusMax Plus v3), AND a spare PC. I won't get into details as I don't recommend this method, but if you're interested, it basically involves you having to daisy chain connect the twin stick > Cronus max adapter > PC with CronusMax X-AIM App > xbox One chain, and the inputs from the twin stick gets translated by the CronusMax X-AIM app on the PC as equivalent XB One controller inputs and gets sent to the Xbox One. Unless the guys at CronusMax include the twin sticks as a standard, supported controller in the future, you'll need to go through this mess of a setup to get the twin sticks working via this method.

Method 2:
After some trial & errors, I've found that you can do away with the CronusMax, and can use a freeware app in conjunction Windows 10 Xbox App to accomplish the same task. Though this method is still not "plug and play", it's certainly less mess and wires compared to method 1.

What you need:
- Hori Twin Stick EX
- Xbox One - preferably with local ethernet connection to minimize any input lag
- Windows 10 PC - preferably local ethernet connection (on same network as XB One)
- Input Mapper - v1.7.x (I've tried 1.6.10 and 2.0 and neither of these versions worked for me as of this writing)

Basic steps:
1) Install InputMapper 1.7.x - version I tried was 1.7.7124.30180 (updated July 26, 2019). You can install with custom settings if you want to minimize what you install. I installed only:
- input plugins - xinput
- output plugins - VigEm Bus Driver

2) Run InputMapper

3) Plug in twin sticks in the the PC

4) Go to Profiles,
- save a Profile: Twin Stick
- Output Device Driver: VigEm.xbox360Device

5) Go to devices -
- On (Player 1 - or might say TwinStick EX), hit the dropdown menu and select TwinStick Profile

6) this should make it so that your twin stick is emulated as an xbox 360 controller to the PC

7) Launch Xbox Console Companion App on Windows 10 & connect to your Xbox one, and stream XBOne to the PC.

8) (If you're using the same video source for both the computer & the XBOne, change video source to your xbox now.) From here, you can can use your twin sticks on the Xbox One. Also, change the settings on the Virtual On control layout to "twin stick type B" - this will make the input on the twin sticks match correctly.

I personally haven't noticed any serious input lag, but I'm a mid-tier player at best, so someone who's better than me at VO might have a different opinion than me.

So that's it! Now if Sega can just release VOOT on the PC so I can just use the twin sticks directly without all this jerry-rigging... :?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Using Twin Sticks on the Xbox One

Post by MentholMoose »

Nice first post and guide! I wish Microsoft would just support the TSEX on the Xbox One.
MentholMoose
senappa

Post by senappa »

Thanks for the welcome.

I would imagine that a Sega saturn twin stick with a USB adapter can be a substitute for the Hori stick (with some additional remapping pre-work on the Input Mapper software, and perhaps installing the dinput plugin as well). I don't think this is the case for the Dreamcast twin sticks -- as far as I know, there is no DC>USB adapter where the twin sticks map properly to d/x inputs on the PC - someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

As a matter of fact, I suppose any dinput/xinput controller can be substituted but that's beyond the scope and intent of this thread... :)
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive
PSN: TheChexGuy

Post by ChexGuy »

I've only ever heard bad things about CronusMax converters. That seems to be why they're universally banned in fighting game tournaments (to my knowledge). Brook Super Converters, however, are tournament legal since they're (apparently) far more reliable. After VO's PS4 ports were announced, I nabbed a 360->PS4 one to use with my TwinStick EX. No issues so far, it works great on PS3 OMG and...the minigame in Yakuza Kiwami 2 when I tried it on my friend's PS4. Un(?)fortunately, this doesn't work with the PS3 port of Marz because of its twinstick control schemes not supporting simultaneous dpad and analog use like the "twinstick B" layouts in all of the more recent ports.

All that said, they do have a converter for 360->Xbone but I'm a lot less willing to drop $40 on that when I know I won't use it all that much.
ImageImage
senappa

Post by senappa »

If anyone gets to try using the Hori stick via method 2 above (using input mapper + XBOne console app streaming), let us know whether you felt/perceived there was any noticeable input lag. I'm curious about others' experience on this...