Help making my own twin sticks

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
DaveKyzer

Help making my own twin sticks

Post by DaveKyzer »

I can't afford to buy official Dreamcast Twin sticks, so I'm thinking about using two NES quick shots, a case and a Dreamcast controller to make some for myself, but I have no idea where to solder the quick shot controls to on the dreamcast controller
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Help making my own twin sticks

Post by MentholMoose »

Several people have done what you are considering. Check out this thread:
Nes QuickShots on metal Briefcase.
MentholMoose
DaveKyzer

Post by DaveKyzer »

thanks, but I already saw that, but what I need is an idea of what parts to connect between the quick shots and the DC controller, I don't have my copy of Virtual On any more, and the new one isn't here yet.(I guess I should have made that apparent) But I'd like to set it up before it gets here.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

DaveKyzer wrote:thanks, but I already saw that, but what I need is an idea of what parts to connect between the quick shots and the DC controller, I don't have my copy of Virtual On any more, and the new one isn't here yet.(I guess I should have made that apparent) But I'd like to set it up before it gets here.
Oops, I missed the part about this being for DC. Unfortunately it's impossible.

The DC control pad doesn't have enough buttons to be used as Twin Sticks. Even if there were enough buttons, there is no known way to hack the pad so that it gets detected as DC Twin Sticks.
MentholMoose
DaveKyzer

Post by DaveKyzer »

That sucks, I guess the next question is of where I could find an Official Dreamcast Twin Stick, or possibly even a Working PCB from one.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

DaveKyzer wrote:That sucks, I guess the next question is of where I could find an Official Dreamcast Twin Stick, or possibly even a Working PCB from one.
I think the only option is eBay. Watch for a buy it now auction at a reasonable price, and use bing cashback if possible. It's still going to be expensive, though. :cry:
MentholMoose
DaveKyzer

Post by DaveKyzer »

all right, thanks for the help you gave then.

EDIT: I don't want to double post so...

Is there any merit to using a converter on a Saturn stick for the Dreamcast?
DaveKyzer

Post by DaveKyzer »

I don't want to double post, but I need this to show as new, is it possible to use a sega saturn controller to make a pair of twin sticks?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

DaveKyzer wrote:Is there any merit to using a converter on a Saturn stick for the Dreamcast?
Yes, the Total Control 3 is known to work well for this purpose.
DaveKyzer wrote:is it possible to use a sega saturn controller to make a pair of twin sticks?
I don't know if this is possible. I might be able to check this, since I have Saturn controllers, and might have a TC3 somewhere, but I'm not sure.
MentholMoose
DaveKyzer

Post by DaveKyzer »

thanks for the help so far, and I await your answer.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

DaveKyzer wrote:I don't want to double post, but I need this to show as new, is it possible to use a sega saturn controller to make a pair of twin sticks?
Yes, the saturn twinsticks use a standard saturn controller chip, and a specific button mapping.

A standard saturn controller ran through a total control 3 in the right setting will be seen as a twinstick controller.

Here's my question, where can one find a TC3? Does anyone have one (or more) to spare?
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:
DaveKyzer wrote:I don't want to double post, but I need this to show as new, is it possible to use a sega saturn controller to make a pair of twin sticks?
Yes, the saturn twinsticks use a standard saturn controller chip, and a specific button mapping.

A standard saturn controller ran through a total control 3 in the right setting will be seen as a twinstick controller.

Here's my question, where can one find a TC3? Does anyone have one (or more) to spare?
There are some on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Saturn-controller-t ... 2ea16b5f49
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

MentholMoose wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:

There are some on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Saturn-controller-t ... 2ea16b5f49
A tiny bit steep, but worth it considering they haven't been made in...how long?
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament