Need friendly advice on button colours/sizing.

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Need friendly advice on button colours/sizing.

Post by Dreamcazman »

I'm in the process of working out what I'll need for my custom twin sticks base that I'm building. I'm down to deciding which Sanwa buttons I should use and would like some input from fellow VO:OT players to help me in my decision.

I originally decided to use three buttons on the base, have an OBSN30 (30mm red) 'Special' back button in between the two sticks and have two OBSN24 (24mm red) buttons in the top right to act as the Guide and Start buttons. The reason I thought red was because the buttons on the Saturn sticks I'll be using are red and it would be nice to have them matching, also the DC uses a 30mm button in the middle.

Then I looked at the arcade VO:OT control panel. It has a yellow 'Special' button in the middle and it also looks like it's only 24mm! Does the size make much difference, and what is the 'standard' colour scheme. (if there's one)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Need friendly advice on button colours/sizing.

Post by MentholMoose »

The color is your preference. I think the standard color is yellow. As for size, note that the arcade VOOT panels have 24mm buttons, whereas the DC Twin Stick controller has a 30mm START button. If you use widely spaced sticks like the full arcade panel, I'd suggest a 30mm button, since the 24mm button is pretty hard to activate on it. Closer stick spacing (like with the versus city panel, or DC Twin Stick controller) works fine with the 24mm START button.

For reference, here are some pics of a VER.5.66 panel:
http://www.oratan.com/projects/566panel.html
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

Thanks MM, it does seem a bit odd with the DC sticks, Sega went with a 30mm button instead of a 24mm one like the arcade, but I guess that's only something they can answer. :?

I'll do a bit more thinking, I might end up going with a 24mm button instead.

Oh btw, you don't happen to have, or know where I can find the arcade template artwork that's on this control panel (I think it's yours ;))

Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

The template art whould be sweet, but I don't know how possable that whould be....

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think it's painted (or other wise directly on) a metal (?) panel. I dunno how easy to copy that is or isn't...

Still, i'd be fun ^^
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I think it may be screen printed on the panel. In any case I don't have a scan of it. Some department at my new work might have a large format scanner, so I'll ask around. I'm not confident the panel would scan properly, though, but I have some other things I'd like to scan (marquees, in strike cards, etc.).
MentholMoose
VR-Eli
Gamertag: Mintzaigar

Post by VR-Eli »

If I could get some measurements along the top, bottoms, and sides I might be able to approximate something in Illustrator
Xbox Gamertag: Mintzaigar
Henshin01

Post by Henshin01 »

My info might not be as useful but I'm in the middle of a twin stick project as well and I figured to save a couple of bucks here and there (since all the parts combined is rather costly) to not buy sanwa quality buttons.

Since it's not like a street fighter arcade stick, the only times u really press the buttons is to bring up the guide menu, pause the game, and perform your in-game specials. Seeing as you don't slam them 200 times per match, I've chosen ordinary standard arcade buttons. You don't have to worry about the life of the buttons since they are barely ever pressed. The sticks are what you have to worry about. And if you get standard buttons you would save say around 12 bucks(AUD) if your from australia like me :P

But of course if you want sanwa quality buttons for bragging rights and to show off your awesome work then by all means :P You have every right to show off such an awesome project ;)

And just another idea I've thought of now... for the special button... you could probably buy the biggest damn button you can find like something from those ticket jackpot games :P I know I always have issues pressing that button whilst holding the sticks too. Maybe if you have a huge button you can headbutt it or something when you want to use your special moves in game :P lolol
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Henshin01 wrote:My info might not be as useful but I'm in the middle of a twin stick project as well and I figured to save a couple of bucks here and there (since all the parts combined is rather costly) to not buy sanwa quality buttons.

Since it's not like a street fighter arcade stick, the only times u really press the buttons is to bring up the guide menu, pause the game, and perform your in-game specials. Seeing as you don't slam them 200 times per match, I've chosen ordinary standard arcade buttons. You don't have to worry about the life of the buttons since they are barely ever pressed. The sticks are what you have to worry about. And if you get standard buttons you would save say around 12 bucks(AUD) if your from australia like me :P

But of course if you want sanwa quality buttons for bragging rights and to show off your awesome work then by all means :P You have every right to show off such an awesome project ;)

And just another idea I've thought of now... for the special button... you could probably buy the biggest damn button you can find like something from those ticket jackpot games :P I know I always have issues pressing that button whilst holding the sticks too. Maybe if you have a huge button you can headbutt it or something when you want to use your special moves in game :P lolol
On my twinsticks, the start/special button is a blue 30mm happ competition button, the other button (pause in omg, recovery disk/dash in marz) is a happ standard concave button.

On my GGX2 stick, the joystick and buttons are sanwa...all very nice quality...

Having said that, if i could afford a pair of sanwa joysticks and swap the bases with my current joystick setup...i'd probrably he happier, but eh...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

I decided on yellow buttons for my sticks, I've ordered three 24mm buttons, plus I also got a 30mm just in case I need it.

btw, does anyone know what the name of the font is that's used on the panel that I posted a picture of? Specifically the START wording. The font on the top, ie ORATORIO TANGRAM would be good too. :mrgreen:
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Dreamcazman wrote:I decided on yellow buttons for my sticks, I've ordered three 24mm buttons, plus I also got a 30mm just in case I need it.

btw, does anyone know what the name of the font is that's used on the panel that I posted a picture of? Specifically the START wording. The font on the top, ie ORATORIO TANGRAM would be good too. :mrgreen:
This page has a breakdown of the various fonts:
Virtual-On - FONT

If you actually find any of them, let us know. For the text in my videos I've been using Nationalyze.
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

Thanks for the links MM.

Just in case anyone's interested, I found this font on dafont. It's not exactly the same, but it's pretty close.