Project Near completion - Nobs VO Project

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
Some_Nob
Gamertag: Some Nob 360

Project Near completion - Nobs VO Project

Post by Some_Nob »

For anyone interested... Nobs new project about to commence...

What am I going on about?... Well I stumbled on this site when I started my quest to find a original Virtual On cabinet (OMG) however due to crazy shipping prices to get a hold of it, have gone for option B - Build my own - though it wont be the same as the orginal layout, (something smaller anyways) I am for it to be more easily moved than the 460KG orginal thats for sure.

Anyways I recently took my gear to a lan - give it all a good work out, (twin twin sticks and twin xboxs with twin monitors and yes twin pilots)...

Was great chance to work on some other mechs in as running random to get a good feel of all of them. This however is not why I have posted.. but rather the last major part has arrived....

These are the orginal backlit signs of the 1995 twin arcade cabinet. And hence my excitement. o_O!!!

I here is a (poor) photo of it with some lighting (using power from my server PC - as have not started wiring yet for the lighting...
(and yes its upside down.. taken with iphone quickly and getting it to focus right I had it tilted - to be fixed later).

Anyhow, for those (if any) are interested... Plan is to find a suitable box, and place the xbox, power pack, a switch (in the DNA side) a 12v power pack.. and a few other switches (some input and power).

There will be two boxes, 1 with the DNA sign to have 3 x 120 Blue LED fans (as an xbox in a small tiny box probably over heat with excessive use) and the other RNA to have sign mounted other side with 3 x 120 (yes u guessed it) RED LED fans...

This be my second documented project my first (again if anyone interested...)
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... p?t=902848

As you can see, I am normally a PC kinda guy and do take cooling seriously, so will be doing the same with this project.

More photos to follow once I take snaps of the components I plan on using.

Final phase I plan on adding a Atom Board to both boxes to run a PC version of the VOOM - though I am currently trying to get it running with twin sticks 100% (either VOOM PC or MAME ME2 version) - both have seperate issues to overcome.

Anyhow, Nobs VO Project ... has now commenced! (though actually started a while back .. meh whos counting right).
Last edited by Some_Nob on 08 Mar 2011, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~
Don't argue with an idiot! They will lower your intelligence to their level, then beat you with experience.

GT:Some_Nob 360
VR:Fei Yen Kn
VO4: TBA

Australia, Brisbane - a founding member of BrisVOC - for VOOM(OMG).
~~~~~~~~~~
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Re: Final parts arrive - Nobs VO Project - Officially starte

Post by MasterFygar »

Cool idea. I have a working OMG cab so if you have any questions on how pieces are assembled, parts used to hold other parts, voltages or anything let me know. Also, just a thought, you might want to try a modded x-box instead of a PC inside, that way you could potentially run the PC version of OMG as well as Oratan and Force online.
ImageImage
Some_Nob

Post by Some_Nob »

Don't modded xbox's get banned from xbox live? That would make it a bit tricky to play against you all. :(. Or you thinking run a 'second' modded xbox for OMG - in which case a atom board still cheaper and smaller ;). Atom board to be run off a 2G flash drive - not quite a SSD.

Though if you could provide a few photos/angles would be good - mainly at the angle the sticks are at to the screen and the height of the chair to the sticks.

That would be awesome :D. May also pester you for some high quality photos of some of the stickers used towards the end too, to help give the finished feel.
~~~~~~~~~~
Don't argue with an idiot! They will lower your intelligence to their level, then beat you with experience.

~~~~~~~~~~
Some_Nob

Beta Box DNA side complete- Nobs VO Project

Post by Some_Nob »

Sorry for my long absense - although only had a short online time and have only met a few of you, I have not been idle in my down time. I have been working on my containment project and one side is nearly complete (missing some matching blue lighting) you can see it is in final stages.

Its designed so can be laid flat or standing, just like the xbox would normally be.

Relatively simple process though start with some wood, cut and join:

Drill holes, where needed.

Add black paint, and cable ties and a good amount of double sided tape and you end up something like this:

Though the cooling and lighting system is powered by a 12v adaptor, this is whats under the hood so to speak. Better cable management will be coming soon. Here is the guts of the unit. There is a cable to power the monitor off the 4 way powerpack, 1 for the 12v and 1 for the xbox power.

Going out of the box is the power cable, ethernet cable and hdmi cable, and also power cable for monitor.

main componets are a 3 x 120 fans glued together

Power for lighting and fans

Test to make sure all is working - This photo shows RNA in testing phase:

And this is what the setup will look when fully completed

Though im looking for suggestions for artwork to go on the bottom here for when its running flat

My Some nob 360 account is currently still awaiting its RNA side construction, so I will still be away from xbox live for a little bit more longer.

Look foward to seeing you all soon.
~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~
ClubFED
Gamertag: ClubFED

Post by ClubFED »

Looks awesome, the LED light cooling fans on top is a nice touch :)

Cheers
ClubFED
Some_Nob

Post by Some_Nob »

And a big warm welcome to ClubFED also oringally from little town Brisbane, Australia (though now in Sri Lanka right ClubFED) .^_^.

We have both come along way since the VOOM days in replay :D

Once you get your sticks you know how to find me and we can train up together to give these guys a 1,2 brisvoc combo ;)
~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~
Some_Nob

Near Completion- Nobs VO Project.

Post by Some_Nob »

Well its nearly finished, waiting on a set of fan grills for the DNA side, and a bit more cable management but here it is some completed shots:
RNA Side closeup :D

A quick build step:

After the spray paint, added the xbox power pack, and then all the rest of the guts.

Followed by testing,

Tidying,
And finally the Xbox itself to give you the finished shots above

Now you guys should see me online a bit more (once I clean up the mess that is ^_^)
~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Project Near completion - Nobs VO Project

Post by MentholMoose »

Wow, very nice!!
MentholMoose
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Re: Project Near completion - Nobs VO Project

Post by MasterFygar »

Looking sweet. I took the pictures a week ago but the camera isn't wanting to copy the images over for some reason... just letting you know I didn't forget. If I get any time this weekend I'll see if I can troubleshoot.
ImageImage