Sunga Twinstick for Xbox 360

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
ClubFED
Gamertag: ClubFED

Sunga Twinstick for Xbox 360

Post by ClubFED »

Hi,

I used to play a lot of VOOM at the arcades in Brisbane, Australia during my uni years. Currently I'm working overseas and only have a PS3, I intend to buy an Xbox360 just for VOOT and Force but need a twinstick... as I missed out on the Hori pre-orders... my choices are limited, but I have found this "Sunga" Twinstick on the net... any thoughts?

http://sungastore.com/fjone.html

Cheers
ClubFED
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Re: Sunga Twinstick for Xbox 360

Post by neo helbeast »

It looks good, it should work.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Wow, nice find. I've never heard of Sunga, or even knew of any other company besides Hori making Twin Sticks for Xbox 360. If anyone buys them, please post some impressions, and pics of the inside if possible.
Attachments
sunga_4a.jpg
sunga_3a.jpg
sunga_2a.jpg
sunga_1a.jpg
MentholMoose
ClubFED

Post by ClubFED »

I'll be heading to HK next weekend, so am thinking of buying it (as well as an Xbox 360), so will let you know how well it works... as for taking photos of the insides... if its simply unscrewing the box, then sure, I'll post some pics of the inside... if it's any more complicated than that, we'll see...

Cheers
ClubFED
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Yeah let us know what you get over there.
ClubFED

Post by ClubFED »

I'm back from HK now - complete with a new Xbox360 console, VO Force and a set of Hori Twinsticks - thanks to shamanic_beat ^_^

So unfortunately the Sunga Twinsticks goes untested...

Cheers
ClubFED

PS - if anyone else is considering this, be prepared to sweet talk the check-in girls at the airport as the twinsticks weigh a ton and I was well over my baggage limit! The Xbox console probably didn't help either...
Gideon Zhi
Gamertag: Gideon Zhi

Post by Gideon Zhi »

I'd love to drop some cash on something like this when I have the cash to drop! Which probably won't be any time soon. Of course, Americaland over here and I don't speak a whit of Chinese, so ordering could prove to be a problem.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

How much would a Sunga Twinstick cost?
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

neoKEN wrote:How much would a Sunga Twinstick cost?
According to here, MSRP is 668 RMB, or about US $102 at today's exchange rate.

While poking around their website, I came across this, which looks interesting. You could easily mod existing DC, Saturn, or Arcade Twin Sticks. Still, for $28 plus shipping, it's not that cheap.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8040853598
sunga1.jpg
sunga2.jpg
sunga3.jpg
sunga4.jpg
sunga5.jpg
sunga6.jpg
MentholMoose
PizzaDrill

Post by PizzaDrill »

The question on my mind about the Sunga sticks is: Will they be detected as twinsticks by the game? I'm sure that the official twinsticks have a unique hardware id which is sent to the 360 during the USB detection process, as most USB devices do. If somebody could confirm this, I would purchase a set in a heartbeat. Hell, if somebody got their hands on MS' privkey and the hardware ID of a legitimate twinstick (USB sniffer logs would help too), I could get one of the EE dudes in the lab I work at to help me out with engineering my own twinstick PCB
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

It's unnecessary as the game has fully customizable controls. As long as the Sunga is actually recognized as an Xbox 360 controller, and all of the buttons register, it will work. I'm using Arcade Twin Sticks modded for Xbox 360 with this abomination and it works great:
madcatz.jpg
MentholMoose
darksakul

Post by darksakul »

PizzaDrill wrote:The question on my mind about the Sunga sticks is: Will they be detected as twinsticks by the game? I'm sure that the official twinsticks have a unique hardware id which is sent to the 360 during the USB detection process, as most USB devices do. If somebody could confirm this, I would purchase a set in a heartbeat. Hell, if somebody got their hands on MS' privkey and the hardware ID of a legitimate twinstick (USB sniffer logs would help too), I could get one of the EE dudes in the lab I work at to help me out with engineering my own twinstick PCB
You are half right on this.

The Older Hori Twin Stick Controller just comes up on the PC as "Hori Hrap EX" Same as there fight sticks, which I suspect the older Twin Stick is a retooled Hori Hrap Ex. The older sticks are part of the Hrap EX line and are just 2 Sanwa JLJ-PL2-8V sticks bolted to a normal Hrap EX shell and a different top panel.

The Force version of the Official Hori Stick comes up as Hori Hrap Twin Stick, but this in name only, the hardware ID still comes up the same as any Xbox 360 Controller.

As MentholMoose said, both Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram and Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Marz fully customizable controls, making the point of a dedicated PCB moot.
Also the development of the first Hori Twin Stick did not start till The XBLA version of Oratorio Tangram was already finalized.
The Force version of the stick did have its own designed PCB, but it was set to use the two digital dual-trigger sticks as input for the PCB's Analog controls,
top and bottom triggers was the Bumpers (LB, RB) and Triggers buttons (LT, RT).

For custom mods, most players/modders used the A,B,X and Y as the input for the 2nd stick, which are Type-B Controls.
If you want to build a custom stick for Type A controls, you ether need Analog Trigger Sticks, or Hack the 2 analog thumb pads on a controller to accept digital input.
Hacking the analog thumb sticks are similar to trigger inversion on most xbox 360 controllers, except you need to know multiple resistance values, one for each carnal direction and neutral.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

darksakul wrote:Also the development of the first Hori Twin Stick did not start till The XBLA version of Oratorio Tangram was already finalized.
There have been several patches, including one around the time of the TSEX release, though I don't recall if it was ever confirmed that the patch added TSEX support.
MentholMoose
darksakul

Post by darksakul »

You might be right MentholMoose, I didn't want to discourage Pizzadrill, just save him alot of effort to decode something I do not know exist.
Although I admit it would be cool to see someone make a dedicated virtual-on PCB for the Xbox 360.

By the way do any one knows what kind of joystick the Sunga Twinstick uses?

I got these off eBaY in February

They look like the same sticks the Sunga Twinstick

Here is one stick taken apart.

I asked on SRK, the consensus over there is they think they could be Seimitsu LS-57s, but the shaft and gate do not match.
I am starting to think the sticks are more based of the LS-40, the gate matches the LS-40 but the pivot and main body is different (its hard to see in my pic I know)
Its Built round having a non-rotating shaft.
PizzaDrill

Post by PizzaDrill »

Ah, okay. Having never had the pleasure of using a 360 twinstick, I did not know if the game identified the controller and automatically switched to a twinstick configuration, such as with the Dreamcast version of VO:OT, where if you plugged in the sticks, it would change the arcade tutorial and autoconfigure the control scheme. If there is such a feature, I would want to emulate it if I were to have some boards printed.