VOOT VER.5.66 NAOMI setup pics

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

VOOT VER.5.66 NAOMI setup pics

Post by MentholMoose »

Here are pics of a VER.5.66 NAOMI setup, without a cab. It's a mess but functional. Well it's more than functional, it's basically arcade perfect. :) The only things lacking are the VMU slot and QM button. I'm not drilling a hole in my VER.5.2 panel for the QM button. As for the VMU slot, I have it working now, but didn't when I took the photos. These were taken a few years ago, and originally posted on virtualon dot net (now defunct).

The components I used, which are probably the minimum required for a usable setup, are as follows:
- NAOMI motherboard, with "G" BIOS revision.
- VER.5.66 ROM
- Control panel (I'm using the VER.5.2 "versus city" panel, but you can also use a VER.5.66 panel)
- PSU (originally for PC, modded for N@OMI)
- Sega JAMMA I/O board, with USB cable to connect to NAOMI
- JAMMA harness, with connectors for interfacing with the control panel
- VGA cable, for connecting to monitor
- PC monitor (using a CRT so the 640x480 resolution looks fine)
- Speakers

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

EDIT: Fixed image links.
Last edited by MentholMoose on 08 Feb 2018, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Re: VOOT VER.5.66 NAOMI setup pics

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Wow, sick.

Hey, question, aside from the monitor and accompanying vga cable, speakers, and the control panel setup, about how much did the rest cost?
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

yup, you just posted pictures of the dream I've had for the last several years, how dare you!! I wouldn't even know where to begin, this stuff isn't exactly easy to acquire, rom included....ergh. Not that it will matter if microsoft ever gets it's ass in gear, but I'm a collector, so this is needed! :)
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

A used NAOMI is about $100, and the Japanese "G" BIOS (if you need it) for $20. You can use any decent PC PSU if you can mod it (just remove ATX connectors, and install NAOMI compatible connectors), or wait for a used NAOMI PSU to show up on eBay (about $50, but they don't show up that often). A new NAOMI PSU from a distributor is like $350!! :lol: A used Sega JAMMA I/O is about $75, and a blank harness is $10 plus $10 for the AMP connectors. All this can be found on eBay, or Yahoo! Japan Auctions (seems to be about the same price), or various for sale/trade forums.

As for the VER.5.66 ROM, I bought mine years ago when they were plentiful and selling for about $75 each. Nowadays they go for about $400, if you can find one at all. It will be interesting to see if they drop in price due to the console release. The only option for these is Yahoo! Japan Auctions and Japanese arcade game stores.
MentholMoose
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

well, that will get me started at least, I hardly knew where to begin, before now, these sort of things would be impossible to track down, the forums all weren't exactly active...but thanks!
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

somepunk wrote:well, that will get me started at least, I hardly knew where to begin, before now, these sort of things would be impossible to track down, the forums all weren't exactly active...but thanks!
Yeah I had trouble getting it all figured out. I actually bought the ROMs shortly after VO Force was released, so around late 2001 (I think I got mostly everything, VER.5.66 control panels, ROMs, and marquees, in December 2001). The original photo I took is actually here... no exif data, though, so I don't know when I took it. Regarding the filename, yes, I was excited. :)

Due to funds availability concerns at the time, I eventually sold off two of the three control panels I bought (I kept the one in the best condition). Sadly I also had to pass on tons of ROMs that sold on Yahoo! JP Auctions for cheap (usually about 7000-8000 yen!!!). I also didn't buy any of the VER.5.66 seat backs that were available. Yup, a whole lot of barely year old VER.5.66 cabinets (recall that VER.5.66 was "2000 EDITION") were cannibalized for use with VO Force.

Back then I couldn't find any information on how to set this up, and couldn't really afford it anyway, so I put it on hold for a couple years until I found sega-naomi.com. Unsurprisingly, they have info about the Sega NAOMI system, so I was able to finally figure it all out and piece together this setup. Since it's single player only, and VOOT was basically dead anyway and thus there was no point to build a complete versus setup anyway, I barely played it. Someday I may finish building a complete versus setup, though, especially if VOOT for Xbox 360 takes off and I can meet with local players again.

I guess the availability of information has it's downside. Since NAOMI gear is cheap, widely available, has many games, and setting it up is actually pretty simple, there is little barrier to entry to setup VER.5.66 as I have done. Thus, VER.5.66 ROM prices skyrocketed. However maybe other factors played a role. The PS2 Sega Ages OMG release may have renewed interest in Virtual-On, because right around that time VER.5.66 ROM prices doubled (as recent as 2006, you could find VER.5.66 ROMs for about $200, but from 2008 on they have been at $400). Yeah, it would have been nice if I had picked up all those ROMs for $70 each. :)
MentholMoose
Cheuboh

Post by Cheuboh »

Hi,

Sorry about the topic digging, i'm new here, and i have a problem with this set up actually.

I've gotten a nice VOOT cart, and bought a naomi mobo for it.

I run the game in 15 khz on my New Astro City cabinet (standard jamma cabinet), using a capcom converter, and i have a regular control panel since i don't have the VO sticks for now.

None of the controls are working ! :cry:
Start, buttons 1,2,3, even the service button doesn't work !
I tried via the service menu, but nope, all the controls are off.

I tried every possible player configuration in the settings menu, but none worked...
It's not the motherboard itself, i've tried with another game and everything's working properly with a "regular" game (service, buttons, etc)

Andy from AGS told me it could be a I/O problem, and i should use a SEGA converter instead of the capcom one.
Maybe you had problems like this MentholMoose ? Do you run the game on 31khz or 15khz ?

Do you have a clue about this ???
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Hi, welcome to the forums. I don't have the Capcom I/O board. Since it works for you with other games, I guess VOOT VER.5.66 does not support it. The VOOT VER.5.66 cabinet probably uses the Sega JVS I/O board, so that should work, and I used the Sega JAMMA I/O board successfully as you can see in the pics.

I've only used 31kHz and I believe that is what it uses in the VOOT VER.5.66 cabinet. I wouldn't think running it at 15kHz would affect the controls. Does your monitor support 31kHz?
MentholMoose
Cheuboh

Post by Cheuboh »

Hey, thanks for the answer.
Well, i found this topic, searching about my problem:
http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtop ... l&start=15

But the solution Scogon found (buying a NUC) isn't really what i'm looking for XD

Seeing that you use a Jamma I/O gives me hope, because i don't want to have to use a jvs I/O
And to answer your question, no, my NAC screen is 15/24khz only.

I'm trying to find a jamma I/O at the moment to test this setup.

By the way, what's plugged here ? And what's the use ?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I believe that is a power cable. Let us know how your project goes! :)
MentholMoose
Cheuboh

Post by Cheuboh »

Thanks man.
Currently assembling the pieces (sticks, wiring etc) while waiting for the sega converter.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Cheuboh wrote:Thanks man.
Currently assembling the pieces (sticks, wiring etc) while waiting for the sega converter.
Great! Post up some pics when you're done, if you don't mind.
MentholMoose
Cheuboh

Post by Cheuboh »

MentholMoose wrote:
Oh i don't mind at all :)
I just hope the game will work properly with the sega converter...
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Cheuboh wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
Oh i don't mind at all :)
I just hope the game will work properly with the sega converter...
Let's hope there is no damage to the ROM. I think it will be fine, the game probably just doesn't support the Capcom I/O.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

I'll be the first to admit i know next to nothing about the Naomi system, but it seems heavily unlikely that rom damage would cause input problems, more like if the roms where damaged, the game would report errors and not play.

Since it's a SEGA first-party game, most likely it needs one of the sega converters and not the capcom one. Considering that the dreamcast controllers have special ic's that report what they are, most likely the i/o converters have something similar, since they go through usb (don't they?) and the game is probably looking for a particular usb i/o type.

This is all purely a semi-educated guess based on the information given....so take it with a grain of salt...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Cheuboh

Post by Cheuboh »

I've tested the game on another cabinet, and it worked fine, i've tested the rom, and it is okay, so the problem is not here.

Will have the converter soon i think, i hope it will solve my problem.
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Sonic Advent

Post by S-Advent »

Wow, looks like a mini VR converter and cockpit, at least, in terms of Virtual-On. Other than that, this is a mighty fine set-up.
I'm now VO:F ready, bring it on!
VR: All of them.
Cheuboh

Post by Cheuboh »

It works !

Got myself a Sega converter v2, and the game has operating controls now ! :D

The problem was as expexted the capcom converter, the game simply doesn't detect controls with it.

I've finalized the control panel and the wiring, i just played a bit and it's great !
The Sanwa sticks i used as replacement feels great.

Don't really now what i'm doing in the game because i'm a noob at it, but i can practice in the best conditions now :mrgreen:

Too lazy to post pics atm, but will do later for sure !

Big thanks to all who helped !
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

That's great news! Post pics when you take a break from playing. :D
MentholMoose
Cheuboh

Post by Cheuboh »

Finally !

I've taken some pics of my setup, so, here it is !
What do you think about the camo sticks ? :mrgreen:

ImageImage
ImageImage