Random info that MIGHT be useful, but probably not.

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Random info that MIGHT be useful, but probably not.

Post by NGEFreek »

So, I work at what is essentially a pirate themes chuck e cheese type place. We have a game called "Tank Adventure" and its possibly the only one in the USA. Anyway, a kid came up and said one of the triggers wasn't working.

I about **** myself when I saw the harness that was used to drive the tanks.

Anyone notice what the handles on this thing is? Sure looks like some Virtual On sticks to me, minus the turbo buttons, of course. I appologize for the terrible picture quality, but with a dark arcade + not so great cell camera, this is what happens.

Anyway, I figured that this MIGHT be helpful for people looking for replacement sticks or to mod existing sticks with these. If the distributor doesnt know what Virtual On is, you might be able to ask for Tank Adventure and get better results.
Attachments
Virtual On Gutts?
Virtual On Gutts?
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Fredo EA8D

Re: Random info that MIGHT be useful, but probably not.

Post by Fredo »

These defenitly look like handels from the old OMR Panel

VOOT: Raiden, Apharmd C, Apharmd B, Cypher, Temjin

French VO Pilot !
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

They definitley feel like OMR and not VOOT handles, so who knows.
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: chunkypuff 3 1

Post by chunkypuff31 »

Was the game made by Sega? If so, they might've reused some OMG handles in order to save costs.
Examples of unintended hilarity, generously provided by Vash:
"With Geico, you can save thousands of money!"
"I am the only one playing with myself at night."
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

No, this game is made my some company called HecPower, they make a few other games we have like Ghost Hunter and Star Panda ad friends. From what I can tell, they are based out of Taiwan and thats about it lol.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

The "OMG style" handle is a very common part in the arcade industry. Star Wars Trilogy Arcade uses them, Ocean Hunter uses them... not surprised that another does, though it is interesting that a non-Sega company would use it. Looks like they made a mold based on the original and started mass producing them for this game, not too different from parts reproers in the arcade community, although (presumably) a lot less legal.

The difficulty in this would be that these are only used to grip a mechanism set up to a different shaft, so none of the internals will be in there. If the trigger is wired any differently it may be difficult to wire a turbo button in there, and it would be a bear trying to find the kind of microswitches that are used for it (though I have at least one extra if anyone wants to give it a shot). Having worked on arcade original OMG sticks before, I can attest that they're a beast to repair and the inside is a lot more complex than it looks. Sega is known for reusing their molds, a Nascar game at a local go-kart place has VOOT seats and an old title called something or other Wing has OMG seats.
ImageImage
darksakul

Post by darksakul »

MasterFygar wrote:The "OMG style" handle is a very common part in the arcade industry. Star Wars Trilogy Arcade uses them, Ocean Hunter uses them... not surprised that another does, though it is interesting that a non-Sega company would use it. Looks like they made a mold based on the original and started mass producing them for this game, not too different from parts reproers in the arcade community, although (presumably) a lot less legal.

The difficulty in this would be that these are only used to grip a mechanism set up to a different shaft, so none of the internals will be in there. If the trigger is wired any differently it may be difficult to wire a turbo button in there, and it would be a bear trying to find the kind of microswitches that are used for it (though I have at least one extra if anyone wants to give it a shot). Having worked on arcade original OMG sticks before, I can attest that they're a beast to repair and the inside is a lot more complex than it looks. Sega is known for reusing their molds, a Nascar game at a local go-kart place has VOOT seats and an old title called something or other Wing has OMG seats.
"although (presumably) a lot less legal"
I disagree, there no law on the restriction of industrial grade consumer equipment like arcade parts.
Also as spare parts are sold, it is every easy for an arcade operator to integrate 1 part into another Cabinet (regardless of brand).
Arcade owners and operators will convert older cabinets to newer games, or use what ever parts to repair existing cabinets, even if the parts are not original to their machine.
And as spare parts are offered from Sega machines any ways, nothing stopping another arcade cabinet maker or arcade owner from using those parts.

I am certain Sega did not produce the actual trigger stick them self, Ether Seimtisu or Sanwa produce the stick for Sega. And as Seimitsu and Sanwa would sell their parts to anyone, as it bad business not too. The same joysticks are used in alot of different games, so would parts manufacturers Sanwa and Seimitsu be foolish not to sell there parts to the public. Older Cabinets, Panels as well as the Saturn and Dreamcast twin sticks used a modified Seimtisu LS-40s or LS-50s (not sure on the actual model number )joysticks and newer Arcade machines, Panels and the 2 official Hori Twin Sticks used Sanwa JFJs.

As for legality, you can use any brand parts you want, you can't state that you offering "Sega Twin Sticks" or the new Twin Stick from Sega, Sanwa, Seimitsu or what ever brand.
You can say you are offering a Twin Stick which happen to have X brand parts.

I also like to mention plastic injection molds are expensive, it is actually cheaper for a manufacturer to change out there hardware circuit design a dozen times before they change out 1 plastic mold.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

darksakul wrote:
MasterFygar wrote:The "OMG style" handle is a very common part in the arcade industry. Star Wars Trilogy Arcade uses them, Ocean Hunter uses them... not surprised that another does, though it is interesting that a non-Sega company would use it. Looks like they made a mold based on the original and started mass producing them for this game, not too different from parts reproers in the arcade community, although (presumably) a lot less legal.

"although (presumably) a lot less legal"
I disagree, there no law on the restriction of industrial grade consumer equipment like arcade parts.
Also as spare parts are sold, it is every easy for an arcade operator to integrate 1 part into another Cabinet (regardless of brand).
Arcade owners and operators will convert older cabinets to newer games, or use what ever parts to repair existing cabinets, even if the parts are not original to their machine.
And as spare parts are offered from Sega machines any ways, nothing stopping another arcade cabinet maker or arcade owner from using those parts.

I am certain Sega did not produce the actual trigger stick them self, Ether Seimtisu or Sanwa produce the stick for Sega. And as Seimitsu and Sanwa would sell their parts to anyone, as it bad business not too. The same joysticks are used in alot of different games, so would parts manufacturers Sanwa and Seimitsu be foolish not to sell there parts to the public. Older Cabinets, Panels as well as the Saturn and Dreamcast twin sticks used a modified Seimtisu LS-40s or LS-50s (not sure on the actual model number )joysticks and newer Arcade machines, Panels and the 2 official Hori Twin Sticks used Sanwa JFJs.

As for legality, you can use any brand parts you want, you can't state that you offering "Sega Twin Sticks" or the new Twin Stick from Sega, Sanwa, Seimitsu or what ever brand.
You can say you are offering a Twin Stick which happen to have X brand parts.

I also like to mention plastic injection molds are expensive, it is actually cheaper for a manufacturer to change out there hardware circuit design a dozen times before they change out 1 plastic mold.
Forgive me, it was supposed to read "more" legal. I got confused between 'less illegal' and 'more legal'. I was referring to the practice of third parties reproducing marquees, bezels, etc. from various games, not the use of other parts in an arcade machine. Namco has been cracking down on reproduction parts/boards for their official games and I was (attempting) to say that using parts from older games or third party redesigns is a much safer way to fix games than trying to run a reproductions business for the few arcade companies that still actively protect their intellectual property. You're entirely correct and have further elaborated on the argument that I had meant to make.
ImageImage
rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow »

I wanted to leave a note here, I only ran into this post when looking for parts on google. Big fan of the original myself.....

Anyways, the original control sticks used on Virtual On Cybertroopers arcade system were in fact designed and built by Suzo Happ, SEGA however was responsible for the cabinet design. So it's not unusual to see the control sticks used on many other games because they were not solely licensed to SEGA, Happ controlled the patent and design on the control sticks.

Yeah this thread is like a year old I know, but I thought i'd add my 2 cents.

Heads up for those of you who don't know though, Happ still sells the original control sticks, a revised version with larger boost buttons. It's only the top half of the assembly, not the whole unit that is found under the control panel. Part # 95-0275-00EX
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

rikitheshadow wrote:I wanted to leave a note here, I only ran into this post when looking for parts on google. Big fan of the original myself.....

Anyways, the original control sticks used on Virtual On Cybertroopers arcade system were in fact designed and built by Suzo Happ, SEGA however was responsible for the cabinet design. So it's not unusual to see the control sticks used on many other games because they were not solely licensed to SEGA, Happ controlled the patent and design on the control sticks.

Yeah this thread is like a year old I know, but I thought i'd add my 2 cents.

Heads up for those of you who don't know though, Happ still sells the original control sticks, a revised version with larger boost buttons. It's only the top half of the assembly, not the whole unit that is found under the control panel. Part # 95-0275-00EX
Thanks for the info! Any idea about the stick base?
MentholMoose
rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow »

MentholMoose wrote: Thanks for the info! Any idea about the stick base?
Uhm you know what, I have not personally investigated into that. I'm pretty sure that Suzo Happ was also responsible for the base assembly, but for the most part I have problems with is just micro switches and those can be bought in a lot of places. I think when I get the chance to do some more resto and cleaning work on my units I will post an update if I found any parts. Some people sell the whole stick base on ebay sometimes off and on, but you have to check both iterations of the name... "Virtual On" and "Virtua On" to see everything arcade part related.