Advice/Opinions needed

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
Neohawk
Gamertag: Neohawk

Advice/Opinions needed

Post by Neohawk »

I want twin sticks but i'm not really wanting to pay £300 for the official ones.

I would like to know if it will be possible to build some out of parts I have and what is the best way of going about it.

I got my hands on a pair of brand new Quickshot Python 2's (gonna discard the start/select buttons) and a Madcatz 4716 for the PCB, planning to build my own housing. Then laziness kicked in and I ended up buying a Hori Real Arcade Pro Ex stick with the intention of using the housing/board/buttons and just making a new plate to sit everything on.

So, anyone want to give me any tips on what parts to use/what's going to be easiest?

BTW, i've never done anything like it before lol.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Advice/Opinions needed

Post by MentholMoose »

Have you checked out the following thread?
Custom Twin Sticks roundup

There are some mods using QuickShots that you can use for inspiration. If you use them you will need to mount them on or in some kind of housing so an HRAP should work.
MentholMoose
Neohawk

Post by Neohawk »

MentholMoose wrote:Have you checked out the following thread?
Custom Twin Sticks roundup

There are some mods using QuickShots that you can use for inspiration. If you use them you will need to mount them on or in some kind of housing so an HRAP should work.
Yeah, i've been marvelling at the cake pan ones for months lol. Totally awesome.

I've been reading around and apparently the HRAP EX has a PCB that is hard to mod so it might be best for me to go the controller route. I wish I still worked at the guitar factory I used to, would've got me some nice housing materials.
Neohawk

Post by Neohawk »

Ok, I need to find out what the solder points are on the QS Python 2 board, can't for the life of me work it out.
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/ ... 3-1746.jpg

I only need to know up/down/left/right lol.

The wires to the far left go into the grip/buttons part and so do the ones on the far right. The center wires are just the plug wires.

Anyone help?
darksakul

Post by darksakul »

You best option is to test the leads next to each switch for the joystick.
It looks like that board is common ground which is a bonus for you, less wiring.

In the image you provided the right side of that top contact is common ground

To be sure, you will want to test the board out with a multi-meter.

Keep in mind the contacts on a stick are reverse directions from a d-pad so the top contact is your down direction.

You will also want to cut the traces going to the Quick Shot's on-board chip as that will interfere.
If you do not want to cut the traces, if you link the grounds and power from the Xbox 360 PCB to the 2 quick shot PCBs