Somewhat off-topic, but still modding related.

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Somewhat off-topic, but still modding related.

Post by NGEFreek »

Ok, so I've been playing a bit of GGPO and FBA latley and I really really want to get a PC stick up and running.

Now, back when I had a Wii and was on my 2D shooter kick, I had purchased one of the Hori Wii Fighting Sticks. Since I no longer have a Wii, I still have the Stick since GameStop never took those back in. Anyway, does anyone know of a way to mod it to be useable via a USB connector for the PC or know if gutting a $5 USB pad for the PC and just soldering the traces would work for this sort of thing?

I've seen people buy bluetooth dongles for their PC's and use the GlovePIE script, but I don't plan on needing it for Wii titles anymore and would like the cheapest route possible. (**** you nintendo and your $40 Wiimotes!) :D

Any input would be appreciated, and if this is too off-topic, delete.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Somewhat off-topic, but still modding related.

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

it would work, since your by-passing the wii pcb. Assuming the buttons and joystick are indeed arcade style (never owned one of the fight sticks, but hori does good work so...), just wire up a usb gamepad pcb, or anything else that you can connect to a pc (i have a ps2-usb adapter), or hack a keyboard, and your good ^^
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

NGEFreek wrote:Ok, so I've been playing a bit of GGPO and FBA latley and I really really want to get a PC stick up and running.

Now, back when I had a Wii and was on my 2D shooter kick, I had purchased one of the Hori Wii Fighting Sticks. Since I no longer have a Wii, I still have the Stick since GameStop never took those back in. Anyway, does anyone know of a way to mod it to be useable via a USB connector for the PC or know if gutting a $5 USB pad for the PC and just soldering the traces would work for this sort of thing?

I've seen people buy bluetooth dongles for their PC's and use the GlovePIE script, but I don't plan on needing it for Wii titles anymore and would like the cheapest route possible. (**** you nintendo and your $40 Wiimotes!) :D

Any input would be appreciated, and if this is too off-topic, delete.
As Testament/Seven7 said, it should work. However, Bluetooth dongles are really cheap... I have one from Frys that was about $10 (here's one at OutletPC.com for $11 shipped). So if the controller works with Bluetooth, that is probably your best option, since it will keep it's resale value, and modding the stick requires materials and tools that you might need to buy.
MentholMoose
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

Well, I have a PS2 sytle Logitech pad I'm using for gaming right now, and I can't stant the ps1/2/3 style controllers, they make me want to gag, but it was cheap when I bought it a few months back.

As for needed materials, I already have hobby knifes, a soldering pen and some solder, don't know what additional things I may need to use.

Also, the dongle wouldn't be what I'm worried about, I would require a Wiimote for this to work in addition to the Dongle.

I guess I have something to try out today and the next few days instead of job hunting :D
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

NGEFreek wrote:Well, I have a PS2 sytle Logitech pad I'm using for gaming right now, and I can't stant the ps1/2/3 style controllers, they make me want to gag, but it was cheap when I bought it a few months back.

As for needed materials, I already have hobby knifes, a soldering pen and some solder, don't know what additional things I may need to use.

Also, the dongle wouldn't be what I'm worried about, I would require a Wiimote for this to work in addition to the Dongle.

I guess I have something to try out today and the next few days instead of job hunting :D
Ah, I see, I didn't know you still needed the Wiimote. So yes, modding the controller should be the cheapest option, especially if you have the necessary tools.
MentholMoose
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

Yeah, between modding Saturns back in the day and attempting to mod my Xbox multiple times, I think I have 3 or 4 Soldering pens and oodles of solder, and if need be I could probably dig up some wire suitable for tracing contacts from one thing to another :)

At first I was all kinds of willing and ready to just hack off the Wii connector and just solder it up to a USB male port, but then I thought better of it. Kinda glad I did, should let me still sell it off as a Wii stick to the hicks out here in Illinois :D
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

I'd just get the Wiimote and GlovePIE the damn thing. Should be cake.
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

yeah, but consider he dosen't want to spend the extra money for a remote and a bluetooth adapter...

I agree, i'd be easier, but easier isn't always better...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament