Dreamcast Twin Stick Repair

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
Jumbo

reply from my contact via seimitsu

Post by Jumbo »

Hi Jumbo,

I received the answer from the company.
They can sell #9 parts at 70Yen each.
There you have it. I've placed an order for 4 of these spring catches. (That would be enough to refit my two sets of DC sticks) The only downside is I won't be receiving them until the beginning of June. I will test the part and see if it is an acceptable substitute. If it indeed works, I'll let everyone know and will more than likely make a second "bulk order" so I can pick up more to send to other players in need on the board here.

Anyone else is also free to find a service that will do this for them. All that needs to happen is to let them know about the part and fire an e-mail off to Seimitsu directly. (Pretty much follow this thread and the links and you'll have all the directions you'll need.)

As cheap as it looks, they do add a remittance fee on top of domestic shipping and handling etc. (210 yen... almost as much as the parts I ordered...) :P
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Dreamcast Twin Stick Repair

Post by MentholMoose »

That's good, let us know how it goes. When you install the replacement spring catch, make sure to lubricate the entire surface area of it, since almost all of it is in contact with something moving (spring, frame, and shaft).

Also, you might try asking if they can provide the dimensions of the spring catch, so we can compare and be sure.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Jumbo wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:Does the manual have part numbers for the grips/buttons/pcb etc?
It's got a part number for every piece of the Oratan cabinet.
I don't suppose you could provide the part numbers for the grips/buttons/button pcb etc?

I dunno what I expect to do with them...but i'm curious so ^^
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
vitrium

Post by vitrium »

i believe my DC twinsticks has this exact same problem. Let us know how it goes!
"Stand tall and shake the heavens..."
Jumbo

Re: spring stopper GET!

Post by Jumbo »

Got my shipment of spring stoppers (As that is what they are called in the VO manual, I'm rolling with that translation from here on out.) from Seimitsu today. Lots of good news but right about 3mm or so of bad news as well.

The good news?

The dimentions for the part ar nearly identical. The circumference of the ring itself is the same and the inner circumference of the stopper is identical as well, meaning it fits the stick nice and snug. The only problem is the depth of the "tube" feature. A quick read for the DC twinstick spring stopper puts the total height of the unit at 8 or so milimeters. The Seimitsu part is only 5 or so milimeters high.

While this difference in height is minimal, for purists it boils down to the spring not being quite as taunt as it is with the original part. However, it still beats a broken twinstick.

I replaced the spring stoppers for each stick on my broken DC twinsticks and hauled out my DC to give it a shot. (I greased the parts with lithium based grease I use for my mountain bike to make due until I order something better.)

For having not played the game in......four or so years maybe??? I was still able to pull off my favorite CC cancels and whip through the game vs. CPU with no problems. Certainly not anything to write home about but considering the stick was busted before, it felt pretty good with the new spring stoppers.

I will once again double check with my contact in Japan about seeing if Seimitsu might happen to carry a spring catch with the same dimentions only 3mm taller. If they do, I will look at placing a bulk order for the part.

If they do NOT, I feel this is still a more viable solution than having a busted stick and if anyone is interested, would be willing to work with them on ordering more of this LS-56-01 part.

With the "official stick" price tag being so high, this would be an option for at least repairing the main fault with the DC sticks if nothing else.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Thanks for the update!! I think this is only good news. The flat part is what determines the resistance, since the spring presses against it. I don't think the tube part actually affects the feel, and is only there to hold the spring in place.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

If it does affect anything, might you be able to add some sleaving or washers to make up for lost hight? I don't own any official twinsticks, so I have no idea...but it "sounds" like it might work...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

MentholMoose wrote:Thanks for the update!! I think this is only good news. The flat part is what determines the resistance, since the spring presses against it. I don't think the tube part actually affects the feel, and is only there to hold the spring in place.
That's what I was thinking, I haven't pulled apart my DC sticks (haven't needed to) but I thought the spring would just slide over the column and just be there are as a centring guide of sorts, (ie. didn't matter how long as long as the base was right). I assume the original part is no longer produced and this is the recommended replacement.

Good work Jumbo, if you find that the resistance in your sticks is too soft, (but it should be the same as before), you could add an additional spring to fit over the original spring. That'll make it a bit stiffer.
vitrium

Post by vitrium »

any news about ordering these babies in bulk?

akihabarashop.jp looks to be overfilled with SF4 orders and web service is shut down at the moment
"Stand tall and shake the heavens..."
jamtero

Post by jamtero »

While inspecting mine I see the right stick has the yellow stopper broken as well. About 1/3 of the flat base is missing. The stick though is still responsive and returns to neutral so I guess the spring can still push off it. Bummer though since I just got em. Hope it lasts. Anyone find a place to get that #9 part?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

jamtero wrote:While inspecting mine I see the right stick has the yellow stopper broken as well. About 1/3 of the flat base is missing. The stick though is still responsive and returns to neutral so I guess the spring can still push off it. Bummer though since I just got em. Hope it lasts. Anyone find a place to get that #9 part?
You can try contacting Seimitsu directly. That's what Jumbo did.
MentholMoose
jamtero

Post by jamtero »

A guy at lizard lick was able to order some, he hasn't given me a price yet but he should get them next week
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

jamtero wrote:A guy at lizard lick was able to order some, he hasn't given me a price yet but he should get them next week
Update on the price?
MentholMoose
jamtero

Post by jamtero »

Guy was real nice. It was like 3 bucks for two, but he only ordered two. Got them a couple weeks ago and the sticks are good as new! You guys are right the small height difference doesnt matter since the base is what counts.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

jamtero wrote:Guy was real nice. It was like 3 bucks for two, but he only ordered two. Got them a couple weeks ago and the sticks are good as new! You guys are right the small height difference doesnt matter since the base is what counts.
Great, thanks for the info!!
MentholMoose
darksakul

Post by darksakul »

I just realize that this stick might work as a replacement.

Seimitsu LSX-57-01
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Joysticks-LSX- ... 7956703313
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

darksakul wrote:I just realize that this stick might work as a replacement.

Seimitsu LSX-57-01
Yup, the DC Twin Sticks are based on that joystick. There are some differences, though.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Another source for the LS-56 spring receivers is Focus Attack. I don't see them on their website, but they will order them for you if you contact them. They charged me $1.25 each plus shipping. The ones I got are red and functionally identical to the one from the DC Twin Sticks. See attached photos (the yellow one is from the 1st gen DC TS).
Attachments
LS-56 Sprint Receiver - 4
LS-56 Sprint Receiver - 4
LS-56 Sprint Receiver - 3
LS-56 Sprint Receiver - 3
LS-56 Sprint Receiver - 2
LS-56 Sprint Receiver - 2
LS-56 Sprint Receiver - 1
LS-56 Sprint Receiver - 1
MentholMoose