Any Idea Where I Could Get This A Lot Cheaper?

Discuss VO-related videos, replays, images, models, toys, etc.
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive
PSN: TheChexGuy

Re: Any Idea Where I Could Get This A Lot Cheaper?

Post by ChexGuy »

Time for some cherry picking because I have a very general response to the last bit but not to the rest of your post.
Porcupine wrote:Now that your definitions have been clarified, I have a criticism of them of my own. Once again, by your definition, pretty much everything in the world is a model, so what is the point of using the word?
Can I call this particular line stupid? Please? Because I very clearly use the word "representation" in my explanations and I'm seriously getting an "I'm wasting my time" vibe at this point.
Porcupine wrote:Of course, you are free to use whatever terminology you like. But what you are not necessarily free to do is to declare that your terminology is widely accepted, as I stated earlier that I openly dispute that claim.
That's great. Now find me a modeling community that agrees with you. Or are you going to completely dismiss their point of view because they're "old groups" and that somehow exempts them from being "current collectors"?

Now for my general response. I have a nagging feeling your confusion over the whole model/statue/figure may come from their use towards representations of what is supposed to be a "living" being (e.g. anime character) or an inanimate object (plane, robot, whatever). At that point it's clear that more general terms are used because nitpicking over whether or not you call your resin kit of your waifu a "model" or "a figure/statue/what have you that requires assembly and painting" is a gigantic ****ing waste of time and everyone is going to have a much easier time calling it a model because you're probably buying it from a hobby store anyway and they already know what you're talking about and what the hell else do they sell other than already assembled statues/figures whatever the **** this is a goddamn waste of time and your walls of text annoy the **** out of me because you go around in circles and get absolutely nothing done I give the **** up
ImageImage
Jonnydark

Post by Jonnydark »

Whoa guys... I didn't intend to start a flame war here.

I think you're having a much more deeper conversation about the philosophy of what an "essence" of something is. Like what makes a "Car" a "Car". Does it need to have wheels? Does it need to have an engine? What is the definition of a "Man"? Does he have to have a penis? There are many people with genitals that are different from the standard binary concept, not to mention the fluidity of gender. And what if he lost his junk? Is he still a man? Was Peter Vekman in the film Ghostbusters more or less real than the Peter Vekman in The REAL Ghostbusters cartoon?

Human minds like putting like into like boxes. But the problem is the universe laughs at this and does whatever the hell it wants to. I think you guys should calm down and philosophize a bit more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essence
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

Porcupine wrote: Of course, you are free to use whatever terminology you like. But what you are not necessarily free to do is to declare that your terminology is widely accepted, as I stated earlier that I openly dispute that claim.
Dude, FFS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_model