Somebody pick this up FAST!!!

Discuss VO-related videos, replays, images, models, toys, etc.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Somebody pick this up FAST!!!

Post by neo helbeast »

Looking on eBay I stumbled on http://cgi.ebay.com/VIRTUAL-ON-TWIN-COI ... 286.c0.m14 this! I would buy it in a heartbeat but I don't have any where to store it.
Spiff

Re: Somebody pick this up FAST!!!

Post by Spiff »

I would, I even have a nice place to put it. I'm just broke. D:
GT: Specineff XIII
VRs: Specineff, Raiden, Aph. B, Aph. C, Stein-Vok
Dordray makes me cry.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

I'm not really a fan of OMG. If it was VOOT, I might consider it.
MentholMoose
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

If you're close enough to pick it up, that's cheaper than the official VOOT twin sticks. :)

1016 lbs! Or, roughly 40 cents per pound. 8-)
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

MentholMoose wrote:I'm not really a fan of OMG. If it was VOOT, I might consider it.
If it was voot, i'd probably be gone by now, to be fair.

If i had the fundage, i would, even if only for the sticks ^^
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

MentholMoose wrote:I'm not really a fan of OMG. If it was VOOT, I might consider it.
It wouldn't be that difficult to convert it to VOOT, or would it?
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Dreamcazman wrote:
It wouldn't be that difficult to convert it to VOOT, or would it?
Mechanically, probably not, but you'd need a couple of NAOMI boards to stick in there.

And I think Menthol already said that he did have a partial VOOT arcade setup and only needs some more stuff for the player 2 side.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

It would require a complete rewire, since these old deluxe cabinets didn't adhere to any standards. Even converting a VER.5.2/5.4 cab to VER.5.66 would be a hassle. It has been done, though (SHGL had an OMG cab converted to VER.5.4). If I could even find the correct harnesses, they would cost hundreds unless I got lucky on Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Building custom harnesses would be a ton of work... a cabinet like this has dozens of connectors, and hundreds of crimped wires. Without wiring diagrams, it would take forever. The monitors (if original) are 14 years old and probably have burn in, and probably don't support 31KHz video input which Naomi requires for best quality.

Then there is the problem of controls... no way would I do all this to just use OMG sticks, which are in unknown condition on this cabinet. I have a VER.5.66 control panel, but it doesn't fit on the OMG cabinet. I'm not sure what I would do about this. The biggest problem is that nobody around me plays much anyway, so I would have a huge, half-ton cabinet collecting dust most of the time (single player sucks on any VO).

Basically, it's just not worth it to me. Having a Frankenstein cabinet is not appealing as a collectors item, and the functionality would be limited. That said, I have actually thought about doing a VOOT arcade setup. I would acquire two standard, Naomi-compatible cabinets. Besides VOOT, I could easily swap in other games, and two sit-down cabinets are more manageable than one super massive one.
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

MentholMoose wrote:It would require a complete rewire, since these old deluxe cabinets didn't adhere to any standards. Even converting a VER.5.2/5.4 cab to VER.5.66 would be a hassle. It has been done, though (SHGL had an OMG cab converted to VER.5.4). If I could even find the correct harnesses, they would cost hundreds unless I got lucky on Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Building custom harnesses would be a ton of work... a cabinet like this has dozens of connectors, and hundreds of crimped wires. Without wiring diagrams, it would take forever. The monitors (if original) are 14 years old and probably have burn in, and probably don't support 31KHz video input which Naomi requires for best quality.

Then there is the problem of controls... no way would I do all this to just use OMG sticks, which are in unknown condition on this cabinet. I have a VER.5.66 control panel, but it doesn't fit on the OMG cabinet. I'm not sure what I would do about this. The biggest problem is that nobody around me plays much anyway, so I would have a huge, half-ton cabinet collecting dust most of the time (single player sucks on any VO).

Basically, it's just not worth it to me. Having a Frankenstein cabinet is not appealing as a collectors item, and the functionality would be limited. That said, I have actually thought about doing a VOOT arcade setup. I would acquire two standard, Naomi-compatible cabinets. Besides VOOT, I could easily swap in other games, and two sit-down cabinets are more manageable than one super massive one.
So I take it that would be a 'no'? :mrgreen:
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Dreamcazman wrote:So I take it that would be a 'no'? :mrgreen:
Right, it's just not practical for me. ;)
MentholMoose
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Funny thing: A VO:OT 5.2 machine was going for a starting price of $25 here a few years back...no one took it, and idiots only informed me of this when the auction was over...