The official Virtual-On model kit thread

Discuss VO-related videos, replays, images, models, toys, etc.
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Re: The official Virtual-On model kit thread

Post by guarayakha »

Yes I do. Will do a comparison once the new one is in :D Hopefully the RNA Volks' is just as easy/sturdy. The one thing I like about the Kotobukiya kits is that they treat color separation very seriously (which is also one of the main factors why they're also more expensive).
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

guarayakha wrote:
ChexGuy wrote:Beware, I've heard the Hasegawa kits need quite a bit of work. I've been messing with the Volks Temjin, and a few people are telling me based on the stuff I've posted on another forum that it's very similar to the Hasegawa kits.
Yep, Hasegawa has fragile joints, super delicate waterslide decals and needs glue to keep them intact. The best ones so far were still Kotobukiya's.
Ah yes, Kotobukiya's injection plastic Virtual-On kits. On the two I've build so far (Viper II and Fei-Yen), both had ill-fitting translucent parts and bone-headed joint designs (ankle joints that fall apart on Fei-Yen and some badly thought out arm joints on Viper II). Viper II also reminded me of why I hate snap-fit designs with too much color separation. I paint my kits, and I had to remove some really badly placed seam lines. The decals were horrid on both of them. At least Hasegawa's decals react normally to decal setting solutions such as MicroSet - Kotobukiya's wrinkled and broke (and nearly gave me a fit on Viper II). :evil: Raiden II seems to be pretty decent until now, excepting some seam lines.

Newer Hasegawa kits come with better quality joints, as they use a harder material for the polycaps. Of course, I treat mine like models, not action figures, and I can't say I've noticed anything bad about the old polycaps until now...

I guess that for snappers the Kotobukiya kits are great...but as a modeler I found building Hasegawa's kits much more fun than Kotobukiya's.
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

guarayakha wrote:
ChexGuy wrote:I think so. IIRC the Temjin reservations ran for about two months, ending around a week and a half before it shipped.

They haven't shown any bonus for the Fei-Yen yet, but I know there was another Japan-only exclusive parts set for the Temjin sold at some con or festival or whatever that was the Saturn-style V-Converter.
PO Bonus seems to be some sort of "Special Clear File", at least that's what the text seems to say.
Which is no more than...clear files with Fei-Yen on them to hold papers together (no, seriously).

As for Volks' kits, they also show up on http://www.mandarake.co.jp now and then.
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

They're here.........! :banana:
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive
PSN: TheChexGuy

Post by ChexGuy »

Good stuff! Got any shots of the runners?
ImageImage
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

Just a quick one, still haven't got the time to get them out :p
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive

Post by ChexGuy »

Humm...unless I'm missing something, it looks like it's got a significantly lower part count than the Temjin. A quick look at Dalong's overview of the Kotobukiya one seems to suggest even that model has more parts! That's pretty interesting.
ImageImage
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

Just started a bit on her, initial impressions:

1.She's pretty close to Kotobukiya's, construction wise, but with some uneven edges in thinner parts.
2. Her knee joints are made from 1 single piece whilst Koto's made with 2 halves, which kinda explain the lesser parts count.
3. Being molded even more accurate to her CG model, so her twintail joints are that much dangerously thinner, but has a better waist joint which allows for better posability overall (Koto's had a sharp gap behind that skirt).
4. Wrist swivel! Only on left hand though.
5. Arms are molded similarly to DNA Fei, so you'll have to paint in the orange details.

Sidenote: Hit a snag whilst apply decal. Gonna go get myself some MarkSofter to fix it later; I suck at waterslides :cry:

Overall Kotobukiya wins over build durability/ better fitting parts, whilst Volks has slightly better posability but feels almost as fragile as Hasegawa's.
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive

Post by ChexGuy »

You get the hang of them sooner or later. There's this one for Temjin that wraps around the leg, which looks like it'll be a royal pain. Haven't decided whether or not I'll use them.

Take bets for next year's, if they're making one. I'm thinking Raiden.

On differences in models, I noticed (from other people, I don't own a Hasegawa kit) that the Hasegawa Temjins have the ankle joint attached the the ankle armor. The Volks Temjin has a single ankle connection attached to the lower leg with two ball joints - one large joint pointed down for the foot, and a really small one pointed back for the ankle armor:

ImageImage
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

ChexGuy wrote:You get the hang of them sooner or later. There's this one for Temjin that wraps around the leg, which looks like it'll be a royal pain. Haven't decided whether or not I'll use them.
Exactly the type I'm having probs with at the moment, lol. Fei's left thigh with the purple/orange that wraps around the whole leg >_<;
ChexGuy wrote:On differences in models, I noticed (from other people, I don't own a Hasegawa kit) that the Hasegawa Temjins have the ankle joint attached the the ankle armor. The Volks Temjin has a single ankle connection attached to the lower leg with two ball joints - one large joint pointed down for the foot, and a really small one pointed back for the ankle armor:
Yeah, Volks' way of doing it allows for better ankle articulation. Hasegawa's Temjin ankles are pretty similar to older Gundam Kits.
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

On the other hand, Hasegawa's Temjin has this cool mechanism in the upper leg.

Volks doing Raiden would be weird, as Kotobukiya already did both the DNA and RNA versions. Cypher or Angelan would be nice.
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive

Post by ChexGuy »

I'm still working on that Temjin.
this is the first model I've painted so I've made a buttload of mistakes and such.
also the blue is a lot darker than I intended because I didn't pay attention to what shade of blue I was buying.
I guess this means it'll look a bit like the *gasp* Kaiyodo figure.
ImageImage
Flame

Post by Flame »

Just now got acquainted with this forum, still a bit new, but thought it was worth makin an account, pretty much just because of this thread. Been building models for a few years, but after playing through each of the games, decided to pick up a few virtual on models, from hasegawa. Currently have the temjin 747j finished (very poorly done, i intend on buying another soon to redo it), the myzr delta completed (much better engineering, and less painting required), and I am currently working on the kagekiyo flame type from hasegawa, painting it in its standard colors, with the rna light panels on it. However, after seeing the Volks temjin, I am thinking of picking it up, due to the fact the color scheme is alot more achievable with paint than the infamous hasegawa kit, which is pretty much plastered in decals.
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive

Post by ChexGuy »

Have some cement and putty ready. I didn't cover a lot of seams fully.
ImageImage
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

Flame wrote:Just now got acquainted with this forum, still a bit new, but thought it was worth makin an account, pretty much just because of this thread. Been building models for a few years, but after playing through each of the games, decided to pick up a few virtual on models, from hasegawa. Currently have the temjin 747j finished (very poorly done, i intend on buying another soon to redo it), the myzr delta completed (much better engineering, and less painting required), and I am currently working on the kagekiyo flame type from hasegawa, painting it in its standard colors, with the rna light panels on it. However, after seeing the Volks temjin, I am thinking of picking it up, due to the fact the color scheme is alot more achievable with paint than the infamous hasegawa kit, which is pretty much plastered in decals.
Pick up some decal softening solution, and the decalling job becomes much less a pain in the ass (although it still takes ages - IIRC, it took me about 1.5 weeks to build and paint each of my Temjin kits, and another week just for the decals per kit...). I personally use Microset and Microsol from Microscale, but IIRC Gunze has similar stuff.
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

So for anyone interested in the old Wave 1/144 plastic kits, their Raiden (Player 1) kit includes a booklet with high-res images of Raiden that I haven't seen elsewhere yet, and the Player 2 kit includes a decal sheet besides the stickers.
Flame

Post by Flame »

Do you own/ have you built either of them yet? I'm curious to see what they are like when built.
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

Flame wrote:Do you own/ have you built either of them yet? I'm curious to see what they are like when built.
They use the same molds as the Raiden Black Onyx that I showed on one of the first pages of this thread, so they can look good, but will require some real modelling work to do so (I own them now, but building them in still far in the future...).

Edit: Added some pictures of the box contents. The CG art booklet shows Wave's own CG model.
Attachments
raiden4.jpg
raiden3.jpg
raiden2.jpg
raiden1.jpg
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

Completed these two models in the last months.

Wave 1/144 OMG Temjin resin kit in "Test Type" colors (the one shown in the short movie demonstrating the controls):
Wave Temjin garage kit in &quot;Test Type&quot; colors
Wave Temjin garage kit in "Test Type" colors
temjingk6.jpg
This kit gave me some issues, as the primer kept flaking off. So various details ended up a bit soft due to having to sand it down several times (and my painting isn't really the best of my modelling skills :oops: ).

Wave 1/144 VOOT Temjin plastic kit:
Wave Temjin 707 2nd Player ver. (plastic kit)
Wave Temjin 707 2nd Player ver. (plastic kit)
temjin707_4.jpg
Assembly on this one is so...fiddly. The Mind Boosters are fully articulated and made of tons of really small parts.

The next kit on my list is Wave's 1/144 resin Apharmd kit:
wapharmd1.jpg