This thing

Discuss VO-related videos, replays, images, models, toys, etc.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

This thing

Post by Schooly D »

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mreport/018310/

More specifically, this

Can anyone translate? What is VOW?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Sonic Advent

Re: This thing

Post by S-Advent »

Schooly D wrote: Image

Can anyone translate? What is VOW?
Well, VO could possibly mean Virtual-On or Virtuaroids, the W however (If following to former) could be speculating a new game and, if you follow the latter, part of the identification code. But just so you know, this is my guess, not a direct translation since I don't know how to translate.
I'm now VO:F ready, bring it on!
VR: All of them.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

The text above the "VOW" is "バーチャロンワークス" which is "Virtual-On Works". Not sure about the rest, though.
MentholMoose
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

MentholMoose wrote:The text above the "VOW" is "バーチャロンワークス" which is "Virtual-On Works". Not sure about the rest, though.
Makes sense. "VOW" probably has something to do with producing VO memorabilia like models. It's been around for a while: http://twitter.com/#!/vow_2010

I see "high-end CG" in the second sentence, so maybe a CG movie or something?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

I think it may mean the model includes a CG art book, or that the model is based on a high-quality CG rendering of the VR.
MentholMoose
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: chunkypuff 3 1

Post by chunkypuff31 »

"High-end CG" just refers to those fancy CG models that are used in official artwork and promo pics, and are what the models and such are based off of. An example of a High-end CG:

"Virtual-On Works," or VOW for short, is the name given to the group of people who are responsible for making the High-end CG models. Back in the nineties, Virtual-On Works collectively referred to nine people, but nowadays VOW more or less consists of just Yasuhiro Mori doing modeling and Nobutaka Arii with rendering, both members of the original group (at least one of the Hasegawa kits gave credit to Hiroshi Yoshida, another original member, for comprehensive layout, so it might mean that there are more than two people that are regularly involved, assuming Yoshida's work wasn't a one-off occurence).

Basically, the notice is saying that VOW is working on another high-end CG model for a new model release. No need to start speculating that there'll be a new game coming out (this notice is being shown at the All-Japan Model Hobby Show, after all. Context is everything :) )
Examples of unintended hilarity, generously provided by Vash:
"With Geico, you can save thousands of money!"
"I am the only one playing with myself at night."