Internet Censorship

Gaming-related threads & forum meta.
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Sonic Advent

Internet Censorship

Post by S-Advent »

Okay, I understand that there isn't suppose to be any politics in the forums, but this is justified. The two acts revolving around Internet Censorship: SOPA and PIPA is threatening the internet and a bunch of people doesn't want it. Not even companies want these acts to pass as it causes an impacts on them and their business. Plus, video game fans will be affected by this, which is why I'm posting this here until further notice.

If you want to go against these acts, sign these petitions (Upload more if there is any):

Stop American Censorship:
http://americancensorship.org/

Google:
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Thank you and I hope you go against these acts too, I don't want the Oratan fan-base to go down too...
I'm now VO:F ready, bring it on!
VR: All of them.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Internet Censorship

Post by MentholMoose »

I signed the petition. The DNS blacklisting provision seemed particularly concerning from a technical standpoint, though that has been removed "for the time being" to allow "further analysis". :roll:
MentholMoose
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

[This Comment has been removed due to SOPA Copyright claim by Viacom]
Van0079

Post by Van0079 »

Megaupload down. **** imminent.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

Small victory. It appears Sopa has been killed in the water for now. The bills author has postponed voting on it "indefinitely". Meanwhile PIPA is losing supporters left and right (see what I did there) too. There were a couple of protesters on the 18th in downtown Tampa with signs that read "It's no long okay to NOT know how the internet works" I saw almost the exact same signs on Gizmodo last night.

Oh yeah 7 people who work for Megaupload are in Jail with four of the being from New Zealand. I get the feeling this is going to turn into witch hunt for those arrested and they're definitely going to feel the long arm of the law.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

neo helbeast wrote:Oh yeah 7 people who work for Megaupload are in Jail with four of the being from New Zealand. I get the feeling this is going to turn into witch hunt for those arrested and they're definitely going to feel the long arm of the law.
The interesting story I saw was that the CEO, Swizz Beatz, was one of the few employees who was not arrested.
FBI Lets Megaupload's U.S. Superstar Musician CEO Swiss Beatz go Free

The reason may be that he wasn't actually hired as the CEO yet.
Swizz Beatz Is Not Megaupload’s CEO, Actually
MentholMoose
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

ESA has now dropped support of SOPA. Which led me to a question "who does the ESA even represent anymore?" I know that sounds like a heehaw question but, seriously the ESA lost huge number of clients back in what 2008-2009?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

neo helbeast wrote:ESA has now dropped support of SOPA. Which led me to a question "who does the ESA even represent anymore?" I know that sounds like a heehaw question but, seriously the ESA lost huge number of clients back in what 2008-2009?
They still have some high-profile members... e.g. Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Square Enix, Capcom.
ESA Members
MentholMoose
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive

Post by S-Advent »

Well, with Megaupload inactive, I'm not able to watch my favorite anime (I don't download them, just watch on their video player).
It seems like the government is contradicting a-holes, but who knows?
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

I sent you a pm. Also PIPA and SOPA now dead. All we need to worry about now is ACTA.
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive

Post by S-Advent »

neo helbeast wrote:I sent you a pm. Also PIPA and SOPA now dead. All we need to worry about now is ACTA.
I just sent you a pm too, and I'm already aware of ACTA.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

The Megaupload take-down seems to have scared similar sites. I tried to download something from FileSonic and got this error:
All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

The fallout continues! Various other "file locker" sites are following FileSonic's lead by limiting sharing, blocking US users, or even completely shutting down!
Megaupload Shutdown Means Other Companies Turning Off Useful Services
MentholMoose
Tet
Gamertag: Bakufuun

Post by Tet »

I thought I'd mention that the power the government used to shut down Megaupload? That has already been within their power to do so. They just haven't looked at the internet in a serious enough sense yet to do so. They're allowed to entirely shut off a particular site like that and prevent all ISPs from accessing said web site. SOPA and PIPA were irrelevant to it, although they did signify the Legislature's increasing awareness of the power of the internet. Needless to say, due to our massive rebuttal last month that made it almost political suicide to side for the bill, the legislature will try and hinder the internet with much more intensity from now on, especially with pushes from the major companies who aren't as dripped into the internet as other companies are. After all, if they can shut down anything except their own business, cool, that means people have to buy from them. It's a simply ploy, really.
Area to remain blank until I stop procrastinating.
Wait...