Exercise thread

Gaming-related threads & forum meta.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Exercise thread

Post by Schooly D »

General exercise thread!

Who here exercises? Who here wants to exercise? Who here hates exercise with the fire of a thousand suns?

Me? I do a modified version of the CrossFit (www.crossfit.com) regimen. Good stuff.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Exercise thread

Post by MentholMoose »

Pretty much the only exercise I get is from riding my bike a few miles every day.
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Oh wow Crossfit, huh? I've got a great buddy of mine that does tha stuff. It's crazy. I do love running. Always have. Played football and ran track for a good portion of my life, so exercise is something I greatly enjoy. :)
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

When I was in high school I played tennis all the time, and some when I first started college. After my freshman year I got a full-time night job, and that was basically the end of my tennis playing. :cry:
MentholMoose
CrouchingLiger

Post by CrouchingLiger »

Frisbee golf, hacky sack, and the general blazing of a trail...

Oh and avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and smoking has helped a lot in recent days.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

CrouchingLiger wrote:Oh and avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and smoking has helped a lot in recent days.
Yep that is helpful. I quit caffeine cold turkey almost 10 years ago.
MentholMoose
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

After being effortlessly thin for over 20 years (too skinny, really), the cubicle lifestyle was starting to make me fat. I still looked skinny, but considering I gained 20 pounds after college, I'm sure my body fat percentage was high. So I joined a gym a few months ago. I've never been athletic and I don't particularly enjoy exercising, but I don't hate it either. At least I don't feel quite as sluggish anymore.
CrouchingLiger wrote:Oh and avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and smoking has helped a lot in recent days.
Luckily I never smoked and never drank coffee. I used to drink a lot of Coke, but not so much anymore. I usually don't even have any in my apartment. Although it wasn't really a health-conscious choice, I just don't crave sugary drinks like I used to.

No way I'm giving up my microbrews, though. :)
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

DeepInTheHops wrote:So I joined a gym a few months ago. I've never been athletic and I don't particularly enjoy exercising, but I don't hate it either. At least I don't feel quite as sluggish anymore.
What do you do when you go to the gym?
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Schooly D wrote:What do you do when you go to the gym?
I first started going to the gym when I was like 19 or 20. I had no idea what to do, so I just followed the routine of the friend I went with. I pretty much do the same thing now, although I go by myself:

- Cardio twice a week [usually] (elliptical machine or stair master). I use the interval setting on the machines, so it's kind of like a half-assed version of HIIT
- Lower body once a week (lunges, leg press, calf raises, lower back, abs). I avoid squats and deadlifts since I was never taught how to do them and I don't want to mess up my back or knees or anything.
- Upper body twice a week (depends on the day, but some mixture of: push ups, bench press, shoulder press, seated row, dips, chin ups, pull ups, curls, fly). I kind of miss doing free weights but I stick to the machines since I don't have a spotter.

Probably not the best workout in the world, but good enough to keep me not fat. :)
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

DeepInTheHops wrote:I avoid squats and deadlifts since I was never taught how to do them and I don't want to mess up my back or knees or anything.
Aw, that's too bad. I can't think of any exercises that build more muscle than the Squat and Deadlift. They also cause the others in the gym to fear you, but that's just a perk. :mrgreen:

It sounds like you're happy with what you're doing, but if you'd like some advice (as far as exercises or regimens or whatever) feel free to ask! Probably here so that others can benefit.
RVR - 42 wrote:Oh wow Crossfit, huh? I've got a great buddy of mine that does tha stuff. It's crazy. I do love running. Always have. Played football and ran track for a good portion of my life, so exercise is something I greatly enjoy. :)
Oh crap, an actual athlete :oops: :mrgreen: What position did you play in football? What distances did you run in track?
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Schooly D wrote:
DeepInTheHops wrote:I avoid squats and deadlifts since I was never taught how to do them and I don't want to mess up my back or knees or anything.
Aw, that's too bad. I can't think of any exercises that build more muscle than the Squat and Deadlift. They also cause the others in the gym to fear you, but that's just a perk. :mrgreen:

It sounds like you're happy with what you're doing, but if you'd like some advice (as far as exercises or regimens or whatever) feel free to ask! Probably here so that others can benefit.
Yeah I've read that squats and deadlifts are some of the best exercises you can do, assuming you have good form. If I ever got more serious about working out, learning how to do those properly would be the first thing I'd do. Right now I'm just trying to counteract the effects of sitting on my ass at a computer all day.

And I don't think I'd ever intimidate anyone at the gym... too tall and skinny. :)
Tieria Arde

Post by Tieria Arde »

ran a lot for about half a year, before that i did track and field events.nowadays im too lazy to go running but i walk around loads on random days.

thinking bout heading back to the gym this semester to use up the rest of my workout crap.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

Use to play a lot of tennis in college. After college, it was gym, but eventually stopped due to the distant and price.

Now I do badminton 2-3 times a week for long hours. With all the flying in the air, it is quite tiresome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2k-tsX5KE
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

swim club, do about 1500-2250 on weekdays. other than that. i'm a lazy piece of ****.
Kuroilupin

Post by Kuroilupin »

MentholMoose wrote:Pretty much the only exercise I get is from riding my bike a few miles every day.
the same for me.

I also ride my bike in parks, or in the neighborhoods as well.
"You do what you gotta do!"
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Schooly D wrote:

RVR - 42 wrote:Oh wow Crossfit, huh? I've got a great buddy of mine that does tha stuff. It's crazy. I do love running. Always have. Played football and ran track for a good portion of my life, so exercise is something I greatly enjoy. :)
Oh crap, an actual athlete :oops: :mrgreen: What position did you play in football? What distances did you run in track?
Wow! I'm like a year late. I'm really sorry. I for whatever reason...abandoned this place. =/ Anywho...in football, I played Cornerback/Running Back[sometimes]. And in track...the 100[and 110 hurdles], 200, and 400[relay]. 300 hurdles sometimes too. Tried Triple and long jump one year. Lately though...i've been working out for cosplay ideas...I was Joe Higashi for Halloween last year. Not sure if you know, who he is, but he's a video game character from KoF. Heh
"Nuh uh uh"