Finally got my 360 :D

Gaming-related threads & forum meta.
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Finally got my 360 :D

Post by NGEFreek »

Picked up a 360 with Rock Band 2 yesterday, wondering what other games besides VOOT obviously I should look into.

I'd prefer hard copies of games, since I don't know when I will get a reliable enough connection to download many things off Live, also 2D shooters ala 1942 and the like trip my trigger well, so I know I'll have to do some importing for the CAVE titles.

Any help is appreciated. The Cheaper the better, as well :D.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Finally got my 360 :D

Post by MentholMoose »

That's good news! Will you be playing online at all?

I don't own any games besides VOOT, so I can't answer your question.
MentholMoose
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

The only 2D shooters I own are Ikaruga and Geometry Wars 2, both of which can be downloaded on Xbox Live Arcade.

As for hard copies, I can recommend Halo 3, Fallout 3, Tales of Vesperia, Ace Combat 6, Fight Night Round 3.

Welcome :mrgreen:
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

MentholMoose wrote:That's good news! Will you be playing online at all?

I don't own any games besides VOOT, so I can't answer your question.
Once/If I get a real network up and running here, I plan on running XBL, for right now, the wifi I leech off of isn't strong enough for the 360 to pick up on. Also, I need to aquire a hard drive since I went the cheapy cheap route and got an Arcade unit.

As for the 2D shooters, I have Ikaruga on DC and I was looking at the Raiden Fighters Jet collection as well as the DoDonPachi DaiOhJou Death Label EX as far as harfd copies, maybe Trigger Heart Excelica for XBLA stuff.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Try Wartech - Senko no Ronde. It's a versus 2D shooter with some similarities to VOOT. Should be pretty cheap too.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

I recommend Earth defense Force 2017 and the Orange Box :mrgreen:
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Megaman 9. For great justice.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

Flyer wrote:Megaman 9. For great justice.
quoted for truth!
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

NGEFreek wrote:also 2D shooters ala 1942 and the like trip my trigger well, so I know I'll have to do some importing for the CAVE titles.
Did you buy a Japanese console? That's the only way to play the Cave imports. If so, Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 will be out in late November. I have Ketsui pre-ordered (my main reason for getting a Japanese 360... until VOOT came out ;)), but due to some drama and ineptitude it has been delayed and has no release date (it was supposed to be spring 2009 :x). People on Shmups forum hate on the DDP DOJ release; apparently the PS2 version is actually more arcade accurate. Death Smiles supposedly has a pretty good port, but I didn't buy it because I'm biased against horizontal shmups. ESPGaluda II is coming at some point in the future.

As for non-Cave Japanese shmups, there's Mamoru-Kun, Otomedius Gorgeous, and Shooting Love 200X. I've only played those briefly, so I can't say much about them.

If you have a US console, Raiden Fighters Aces is a steal at $20. Raiden IV is coming to the US soon as well, not sure about the price. Castle of Shikigami 3 is available in the US as well, but I don't know much about that one.

XBLA shmups:
Ikaruga: You already have this, otherwise a must try. I'm not a fan, but every shmup fan owes it to themselves to try it.
1942 Joint Strike: Mediocre
R-Type Dimensions: R-Type and R-Type II with a shiny coat of paint. Check it out if you like your shmups slow, claustrophobic, and memorization-heavy.
Trigger Heart Exelica: Mediocre
Galaga Legions: I thought this would be like Galaga with updated graphics and a modern scoring system, but it's not like that at all. Not a bad game, but not great either.
Aegis Wing: Even at $0 it's overpriced.

General XBLA recommendations:
Geometry Wars 2: Awesome 2D arena shooter.
Braid: Puzzle platform game. Fun while it lasts, but no reply value once it's done.
Outrun: Arcade-style racing game. I'm not a big racing fan, but this one is really fun.
Catan: An Xbox version of the board game Settlers of Catan. I just bought this the other day and have been really addicted to it. Unfortunately, there's no local multiplayer. On hard, the AI seems good, but I'm just a beginner.
Worms Armageddon: Turn-based strategy game. Better than the first. Something to play with casual gamers.
Meteos Wars: I like this game, although I'm not sure how it stacks up against the portable versions since I don't own any portables.
Jetpac Refuelled: A mix between a single screen platformer and a shooter. Playing for score is tedious, though.
Magic The Gathering: A watered-down version of the card game (you can only use the eight pre-built decks with only slight modifications allowed). I used to play the card game a LONG time ago (1995). This kind of rekindled my interest, although I doubt I'll actually buy real cards again.

Stuff that I'm not too crazy about, but other people like a lot:
Pac-Man CE
Rez HD
Castlevania SOTN
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Castle Crashers
N+
Omega Five
Nusakan

Post by Nusakan »

1942 Joint Strike: Mediocre
R-Type Dimensions: R-Type and R-Type II with a shiny coat of paint. Check it out if you like your shmups slow, claustrophobic, and memorization-heavy.
I'm a big R-Type fan and I refuse to acknowledge this one's existance. The firing rate of your normal weapon is terrible! Unless they updated it i'll never get it. R-Type Delta, Leo, and Final are my favorite in the series. Joint Strike is boring IMO, but is interesting with two people. Raiden Fighters ACE for the 360 is pretty fun if you ever play any of them in the arcades. I liked Trigger heart. I'm a big Touhou bullet curtain fan so this was a natural along with ikaruga.

Pretty much what DeepInTheHops recommends in his list are good. I like shumps so it doesn't matter if it's horizontal (<3 Einhander) or vertical (<3 Raiden or the Touhou Series).
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

For FPS (which i recommend) get:
-Call of Duty 4 Modern warfare, and MW2 (coming soon)
-Rainbow Six Vegas 2
-Orange box
-Gears of War 2
-Call of Duty WAW

also this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgw2slDf ... re=related
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

Thanks for all the recomendations guys!

Yeah, I realize now theres no real easy way to play the Cave imports on a non JPN console, so I guess until I get another stash of cash built up, I'm boned. Not that it matters too much.

I have Raiden Fighters Aces coming in soon, and I went to preorder Raiden IV a few days ago after watching a youtube preview for it.

Arcade stuff I'll probably get into at some point, and all those you recommended are on my list :D

I'm not a huge fan of FPSs on a console, but I am curious to try out Orange Box at some point since this laptop wont run TF2 very well.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

I really can't describe Earth Defense Force as a first person shooter as it' not for two reasons 1) its third person 2) its the funnest game I have ever played.

Edit:
Here is a review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vl8His3St4

Here is its trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8vEPNr-myw
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Hey, another shmup fan here.. I pretty much agree with DeepInTheHops' post apart from that I like N+, Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Rez HD a lot.
DeepInTheHops wrote:Galaga Legions: I thought this would be like Galaga with updated graphics and a modern scoring system, but it's not like that at all. Not a bad game, but not great either.
I find it excellent apart from that it's a bit of a memorizer.. very polished and has nice enemy and boss ideas, the TLB made me chuckle :P I should try and 1cc it some day.

Also, Omega Five is a shmup, you put it in the wrong bracket.

Non-shmup disc games I recommend(loosely based on that you like shmups):

Ninja Gaiden 2, damned good third person beatemup with excellent level and boss design and production values. Great responsive controls, nice combo system and the best gore I've ever seen in a game :lol:. Due to the great controls the game is a lot of fun on the harder difficulties, sort of like a shmup for me. Loads of weapons and secrets, and four difficulty modes which vary which enemies show up etc instead of just altering health. The mission mode DLC is also worth it, survival modes for each weapon and a lot of missions to practice your skills in and play for score is great if you like the game. I'm currently in the middle of a Mentor mode run.

Nusakan: you mean the autofire is slow? I didnt notice a problem with manual fire and was never going to use autofire anyway.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

Zaarock wrote:Hey, another shmup fan here.. I pretty much agree with DeepInTheHops' post apart from that I like N+, Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Rez HD a lot.
DeepInTheHops wrote:Galaga Legions: I thought this would be like Galaga with updated graphics and a modern scoring system, but it's not like that at all. Not a bad game, but not great either.
I find it excellent apart from that it's a bit of a memorizer.. very polished and has nice enemy and boss ideas, the TLB made me chuckle :P I should try and 1cc it some day.

Also, Omega Five is a shmup, you put it in the wrong bracket.

Non-shmup disc games I recommend(loosely based on that you like shmups):

Ninja Gaiden 2, damned good third person beatemup with excellent level and boss design and production values. Great responsive controls, nice combo system and the best gore I've ever seen in a game :lol:. Due to the great controls the game is a lot of fun on the harder difficulties, sort of like a shmup for me. Loads of weapons and secrets, and four difficulty modes which vary which enemies show up etc instead of just altering health. The mission mode DLC is also worth it, survival modes for each weapon and a lot of missions to practice your skills in and play for score is great if you like the game. I'm currently in the middle of a Mentor mode run.

Nusakan: you mean the autofire is slow? I didnt notice a problem with manual fire and was never going to use autofire anyway.
This is LIIIIIEEEEESSSSS. Ninja Gaiden 2 while EXTREMELY better than Ninja Gaiden in level design still has horrible boss fights, mediocre level design and EXTREMELY broken weapons. Once you get the Talons and the Scythe you won't use any other weapons. Although to be fair I could beat Ninja Gaiden 2 and have yet to beat 1 so that's got to count for something.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

neo helbeast wrote:This is LIIIIIEEEEESSSSS. Ninja Gaiden 2 while EXTREMELY better than Ninja Gaiden in level design still has horrible boss fights, mediocre level design and EXTREMELY broken weapons. Once you get the Talons and the Scythe you won't use any other weapons. Although to be fair I could beat Ninja Gaiden 2 and have yet to beat 1 so that's got to count for something.
Eh, I dont get what you mean by the weapons. Which difficulties were you playing? I think the game was mostly designed around the Warrior difficulty, though all of them are good.. I played through acolyte first and then warrior and liked warrior a lot more. Those weapons would surely be hard to solo with on the harder difficulties, and they arent considered the most powerful weapons anyway. I think the only weapon considered "broken" is the lunar staff as its first level charge is devastating. Switching between the weapons is essential to doing well on master ninja at least: Tonfas have the most powerful ultimate technique, scythe for long range UT, Falcons Talons for flying izuna drops, Lunar or such vs ghost fish, Kusari-Gama for some good anti-boss moves, dual katanas or flails for huge combos vs smaller enemies, Windmill shurikens for some easy medium range kills, dragon sword is a nice overall balanced weapon if you want to solo, etc...

I dont see how the boss fights are horrible, though its a matter of taste ofc. Genshin is a very well designed "clone" fight IMO, you have to counter his attacks but he switches the patterns around a lot and might counter you back. I found the level 3 boss to be a great idea, though he was a pain in the ass on mentor heheh. Had to get really good with the bow. The greater fiends werent as good as genshin but the second Zedonius fight is pretty impressive. I also liked dagra dai, yay for lasers and various other moves. The archfiend was a pretty typical last boss, but eh, dodging fireballs and lasers is pretty fun :P

I liked the level designs apart from parts of 9 and 10, loved the visual design and overall layouts of the last four chapters(also note that enemies and their placements vary hugely on difficulty), the last levels were really surreal, looked nice and felt like a great finale.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

NGEFreek wrote:Yeah, I realize now theres no real easy way to play the Cave imports on a non JPN console, so I guess until I get another stash of cash built up, I'm boned.
For those who are interested in Cave games and haven't heard the news: Mushihimesama Futari will be region free! This is huge. Hopefully it's the start of a new trend, even if it makes me look like an idiot for buying a Japanese system when a US system would have sufficed (I still don't own any Japanese only games :?).
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

I'm still considering buying a japanese 360 for Senko no Ronde DUO and stuff. Definately buying mushi futari though, but I need to get my PAL 360 repaired and buy a new controller.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

I hope Senko no Ronde DUO is region free. From what I could see, the changes look like going from Virtual On 1 to Virtual On 2. The pathetic sales for Wartec Senko no Ronde just help guarantee the sequel will never make it outside of Japan. When will Japanese developers learn that complex games like Virtual On and Senko no Ronde would thrive if the game had a decent tutorial that teaches the intricate complexities that these game can offer.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Preordered mushi futari and ordered a SFIV(madcatz) pad :) Will be fun to play Raystorm HD with the new pad as well!