Intergalactic Shmuppreciation Month!

Gaming-related threads & forum meta.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Intergalactic Shmuppreciation Month!

Post by shamanic_beat »

Is Deathsmiles emulatable?
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

shamanic_beat wrote:Is Deathsmiles emulatable?
I haven't really been keeping up with shmups lately, but I wouldn't expect to see Deathsmiles in MAME for several years. I know the ROM has been dumped and Guru has it working to some extent (not sure how playable it really is), but the MAME devs wouldn't include such a new game for legal reasons.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Alright thanks.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Side Vower DLC for strania came out last wednesday. It's essentially 7 brand new levels with the idea of going through them in opposite order as the enemy side. You also get access to level 2 red weapons,etc.

It's 400 msp and is even better than the main game, go get.

Strania pretty much the best shmup on XBLA, especially with side vower. I wonder why it isn't getting much attention.. the visuals animation wise and music are great along with the actual gameplay ofc, wonder why people who buy other action games on xbla dont get into it.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Kaiser Dragon
Gamertag: Hatt0riHanz0128

Post by Kaiser Dragon »

Strania is fun, but I had problems with getting new weapons in the heat of battle, and I'd end up replacing something I didn't want to replace.

Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury came out recently, but I didn't really like that either; it's quite the spectacle, but dash -> counterattack -> dash -> counterattack didn't seem all that fun.

I ended up buying Trouble Witches instead; that barrier dealie-o is more up my alley. Never thought I'd pick lolis over robots, but here we are. :o
Heart and sword are one
A blade to cleave all Evil
My path becomes clear
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Yeah, I can understand not liking the weapon system. I wasn't too fond of it at first when playing einhander, etc. either. the visuals for powerups are done pretty well and after playing for a while I rarely make those mistakes anymore, sucks if it happens though.

The trial of bangai-o HD is really bad. I wasn't going to buy it at first but everyone seemed to agree that the trial just sucked, it doesn't even have a tutorial etc. The third level in the trial is definitely what you described.. one of the silliest levels in the game because its just enemies everywhere and you can spam counter.

Ended up buying all three of those myself :p Haven't given trouble witches much time yet.
Kaiser Dragon
Gamertag: Hatt0riHanz0128

Post by Kaiser Dragon »

I found Einhander more manageable because you either only had one active weapon slot or you just switched their positions. With Strania's two active slots and one inactive, I wasn't sure which direction the weapons rotated through your hands.
Heart and sword are one
A blade to cleave all Evil
My path becomes clear
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

They rotate clockwise. The way I think of it is: rotate to the right = push button once, rotate to left = push twice. reset = push three times. Generally I don't use one of the three possible combinations, even when playing for score etc. where you need to manage your kills with weapons. Just remembering that pushing three times makes you get the same weapons again should do really.

You can fire the third weapon if you're attached to a booster on the Stranian side or a friendly mech on Vower side. The latter is pretty fun to use, you can try and keep him alive.

By the way, Deathsmiles 2X is going to get a US Games on Demand release in a week. It's untranslated too. Seems like a test of some sort. If more games end up getting the same treatment they'll probably be available in other regions too.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Zaarock wrote:By the way, Deathsmiles 2X is going to get a US Games on Demand release in a week. It's untranslated too.

Wait... Since its untranslated, does this mean we won't get the kind of awesome tagline like "death smiles at you, loli smiles back"?
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Yeah :p It's not as good as the first game though and the graphics are pretty bad 3D, but apparently it's still pretty good. I probably wouldn't buy it, have enough (+better) cave games to play already lol. Wish they would do a raizing compilation for 360.. Oh well, definitely buying RFA when that comes out in europe.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

So why is the second one not as good as the first one? And the second one has more loli!
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Well: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30346

tl;dr ugly graphics, not one of caves best shmups but pretty good. but yay, trap get
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Zaarock wrote:...trap get
Tell me more.
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Post by NGEFreek »

FBI coming to your door for the level of loli in DSIIX, for serious.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

It's okay. We don't get FBIs in Canada.

Not that it matters... http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/20/death ... nd-mexico/

edit: Apparently they added the game to Canada's and Mexico's marketplace 2 days ago.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

shmups forum's annual tournament coming up: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 06&start=0

Looks like there will be more teams and players than ever before, pretty cool. You just need to be a member at the forums to register & submit scores. Hoping there will be some games I like and some surprises to keep it interesting.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

We've had a lot of new people enter the tournament in the past few years. In the first couple years it was mostly just the regular forum posters, but the registration thread now gets a lot of people with really low postcounts. So don't be afraid to sign up if you're a n00b. :)

I'm not sure if I'm going to register yet. In past years I got burnt out well before the tournament was over, but now that I don't really play shmups anymore it might not seem as tedious since I'm starting fresh.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Seems like Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu/Resurrection is getting an european release by Rising Star Games on October 15th. Two days before my birthday :)

Dark Souls and this, oh man.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Radiant Silvergun XBLA came out out today. Liking it more than I expected & the hi-res mode and ikaruga chaining mode are good additions. At least you get lots of cool boss fights.. Ikaruga was really lacking in that department.

Somehow they made the game forced widescreen though which is stupid from Treasure.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Wow, I haven't played RS for probably 8 years or so (since I had to sell my Saturn copy). I think I'll have to check it out on XBLA.
MentholMoose