Intergalactic Shmuppreciation Month!

Gaming-related threads & forum meta.
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Fredo EA8D

Re: Intergalactic Shmuppreciation Month!

Post by Fredo »

I'vbe just tested the demo, realy good impression but so many weapons is really confusing ^^'
VOOT: Raiden, Apharmd C, Apharmd B, Cypher, Temjin

French VO Pilot !
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Got almost 10 millions and no-miss to Stage 5 yesterday. Oh god, the 5A chain.. I've got all the others down so I feel like I have to learn it now.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

Zaarock wrote: Somehow they made the game forced widescreen though which is stupid from Treasure.
What do you mean? I played the demo and even in widescreen mode, the game is still a 4:3 game with sidebars.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

neoKEN wrote:
Zaarock wrote: Somehow they made the game forced widescreen though which is stupid from Treasure.
What do you mean? I played the demo and even in widescreen mode, the game is still a 4:3 game with sidebars.
The whole display can only be widescreen, not the "playing window". This is what that looks like on a 4:3 or 5:4 display:

VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

For people wondering why most shmups are on 360 and not on PS3, I found this comment from a Radiant Silvergun thread.
TrevHead
@Startyde

from the rumours ive heard is that its a combination of things
1) Sony wasnt intrested in retro games on their next gen PS3
2) Sony have a thing for widescreen which sucks for vertical shmups
2.5) Its cheaper make games on the 360 (some boxed STGs only sell 10k copies and still make a profit
3) At the start of this gen MS activly got most of the shmup (and visual novel) devs on board
4)- this made the 360 the console for shmups (and other niche genres like visual novels) so thats where its fanbase is. EG a pocky and rocky clone called mamaru-kun got a PS3 port which didnt sell.
5) IMO the 360s regoin locking did wonders for shmups as the titles that are locked are been picked up by western publishers
6) Cave are an very adventerous in how they sell their games. MS while note perfect have been receptive to their plans.
7) Imo the fact MS dont have an handheld really helped. Ninty and sony probably relagate most niche games to their handhelds.
8) most ppl who are willing the buy the games already have a 360

The gist of it is that the market is on the 360 (in japan its kinda like the dreamcast where its attracted niche hardcore fans)

The only way Sony fans are gonna see a Cave or Treasure shmup on the Ps3 is if they think its worth it, so buy Sina Mora.

Or get a Vita and buy CAVEs shmup they are currently making.

TrevHead
EDIT
3) At the start of this gen MS activly got most of the shmup (and visual novel) devs on board In their effort to break the Japanese market.

Infact besides treasure all the other Shmup devs had no intrest in selling their games outside Japan. Its only due to the 360 not selling in Japan and a growing number of hardcore western fans who import that they turned their attention to the west.
I don't follow shmups, but I follow fighting games. Back in PS1 era, Sony was very resistant about allowing 2D fighting games (2D anything in general) onto their system.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken