Important question

Gaming-related threads & forum meta.
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: chunkypuff 3 1

Important question

Post by chunkypuff31 »

Is it possible to transfer an American XBL account onto a Japanese Xbox? With the upcoming release of Force, I'm thinking I might need to get a Japanese system if it isn't released stateside.
Examples of unintended hilarity, generously provided by Vash:
"With Geico, you can save thousands of money!"
"I am the only one playing with myself at night."
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Important question

Post by MentholMoose »

I want to know, too.
MentholMoose
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

Wow red! Like what you've done with the place MM!
I was able to migrate my American gamertag to a PAL-region console I got here in Europe and it worked just fine…until I got hit with the RROD. Again. I took it as a sign the universe wanted me to concentrate on med school…

But to answer the question specifically:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/foru ... p?t=146292

Post #11 confirms you can use your American gamertag on a Japanese console. Later posts also confirm if you make up a Japanese gamertag on the same console and get Japanese downloadable content, your American gamertag can also access this content.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I thought I'd add this:

Guide to owning a Japanese 360 from Shmups Forum.

Skimming over that, I wonder about DLC. If VOF doesn't come to the US and you have to import it, the DLC (if there is any) will probably be unavailable from the US marketplace. :| I'd be pissed if they made some of the VRs downloadable... but if it's a full price retail release, I'd hope not.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Thanks for the links! I'm still on the fence about whether or not to go through with this. As seen by my GamerCard (see sig), I have nothing beyond VOOT invested in my US 360, and apparently I could transfer that to a JP 360. Also, the net cost of switching wouldn't be that high since I could sell my US 360 for a decent price (it's mint, the disk drive has never been used, and I even have the box), and I could reuse all my peripherals (basically just the HDD and headset, oh and Twin Sticks).

But, I am not sure if I would even play VO Force if there is no US release. It would be like VOOT was in US arcades... a few hard core players, and almost nobody else, which is bad enough for a 1v1 fighter, but exceptionally bad for a team game. Yeah there will be a ton of Japanese players, but teaming up with a Japanese player will be impossible other than with some random team mode, if such a thing was implemented, and people actually used it, and it didn't suck.
MentholMoose