Magfest 2011- Jan 13 - 16, 2011

Gaming-related threads & forum meta.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Magfest 2011- Jan 13 - 16, 2011

Post by MasterFygar »

So me and a couple of fellow otaku I was hanging out/playing VO and SHMUPS with yesterday have decided to descend upon this con, and I was wondering if anyone else is interested in going (I promise I WILL go to this one, since I found it myself before the month it starts!). I'm going to try to bring my twin VOOM cab (and if anyone else can bring their 360 and a small HDTV as well as a system link cable, I can bring mine and we can set up linked VOOT) and we're cosplaying as the robots and Joel from MST3K (I'm going as Tom Servo xD) and also possibly as random steampunk people another day. It's more like a party than most cons, and though it'll be the first time we've gone it looks like it's going to be awesome since it's a lot smaller than the more crowded cons and has nonstop gaming/live music/movies. It'd be awesome to see some of you guys there! (And if anyone looks like Dr. Forrester or TV's Frank you need to get in touch with me and Vahnen =P)

http://magfest.org/
ImageImage
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Magfest 2011- Jan 13 - 16, 2011

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

Dammit yes! I will be there, you have my word. I really have no excuse not to show up because I live just 10 miles away. I would have been there even if you hadn't gone, but the VOOM/VOOT play make it 1000 times better! Why does it have to be in January???

I can bring the 360 with me, since it's really not that far. I can go get a cable (unless someone has a spare one lying around), although I regretfully don't have a small HDTV to bring, all mine are too big.

I was very pleased with last year's convention, it was pretty much the best convention I have ever been to. And that was after having been there for ONE day! (Actually, a few hours on Sunday evening!) I'll take this over Otakon anyday. And plus, I don't have to even get a hotel room, I'm right freakin' there!

Hurry up, January!!! :x :x :x
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you there. I just found another small HDTV, so if you handle the 360 and the cables we should be good as gold! =D Really looking forward to this one, I've heard it blows other cons away with the atmosphere and I actually have a cosplay group this time, heheh. We got someone to cosplay as Mike from MST3K now too =D
ImageImage
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

Yeah, from what little time I spent there last year, it's got pretty much all the good stuff you expect from a con (games, music, special guests, etc.) without all the crap (huge crowds, long lines, security guards standing at every entrance telling you to go to the next door 100 ft. away when you clearly have your badge displayed and it wouldn't kill them to just let you the f*ck in). Really looking forward to the VOOM machine...boy will that bring back memories!

Since this is my hometown and I know the place (hopefully :? ), anyone who comes by and wouldn't mind hanging out with me is more than welcome to, and we can do some other fun things too!
- Confucius
Goliath013

Post by Goliath013 »

I wanna go but most likely i wont be able to because its during the school year D:
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

Goliath- it's on a weekend. You may have to miss the Friday day but it's not all during school hours. Unless you mean the drive in which case I can't really help you there =(

In other news, I'm set up to pick up a Soul Calibur II machine that also runs Tekken 4 soon, so if I manage to get a truck for the VO, I can bring it too... and if I can't get a truck, I can just throw it in the van instead =P
ImageImage
Nick The Newbie

Post by Nick The Newbie »

Hi guys! My name's Nick and I help out with MAGFest. I noticed you guys had mentioned us, so I figured I'd pop in to answer any questions you might have about mag or what goes on there. It's definitely different than most other conventions, so people are often surprised how laid back it is when they show up.

MasterFygar: Have you talked to anyone at mag about bringing your cab? We're pretty proud of our arcade set up and love it when people bring more cabs.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

Hi Nick! That's awesome that you joined, thanks for offering your assistance!

I actually haven't yet as I wasn't sure who to contact. What is the process involved? Some of my friends have done it before but I haven't really talked to them about it.
ImageImage
Nick The Newbie

Post by Nick The Newbie »

Just shoot me an email at nick@magfest.org telling me about the cab in more detail, and then I can forward it on to the right people who handle that.

A note about the dates, the following monday (jan 17) is MLK day, so most schools should have that off, giving a little less pressure for the students to get home :P. We try to be a place where different communities can come out and have a little gathering of their own, so please spread the word to any other communities you may be a part of, and we can make the party just that much bigger!
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

I just wanted to make sure that no one forgot about this! I preregistered, and you should too! $40 for a four-day pass, can't beat that.

Again, all info is at http://magfest.org/

We're almost a month away. Can't wait!
- Confucius
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I'm almost sort of thinking of maybe going to this. I'd probably have to fly in, but I have the money and a bunch of spare vacation days I need to use before the end of March, so know knows. If I played more games that other people actually like I'd be more inclined to go.

If I come I could bring my 360 and Force. Lagless VOOT against Phantom sounds scary, though. ;) I'd give VOOM a shot if the cab was there, but I've only played VOOM like 5 times and sucked pretty hard each time (against the AI, no less).

I looked at the list of challenges... I'd have loved this like 10 years ago back when I was really into 8 and 16-bit stuff, but I'd be way too rusty to try those challenges now. The possibility of a Tetris or Magical Drop tournament sounds awesome, though.

Did they have a lot of shmups in previous years? Even though I mostly kicked the shmup habit about a year ago, I'm still curious.
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

DeepInTheHops wrote:Did they have a lot of shmups in previous years? Even though I mostly kicked the shmup habit about a year ago, I'm still curious.
Hmmm...I'm not much of a shmup person so I didn't really pay much attention to whether or not they were there last time. I think there is a bigger focus on fighting games, but I'd still be very surprised if you did not see something you liked, Dave. I mean, this is pretty much THE place to play games of all kinds, especially those you never thought other people played. Let's put it this way: if you actually make the trip and aren't satisfied, since you are out-of-state, I will pay for your admission. Deal? As long as we get in plenty of VOOT/VOOM matches, that is. :mrgreen: We can work out other arrangements if you feel that the trip was not worth it, but I damn-near guarantee you it will be. Since I'm all big on this event, and I live so close by, I think it's only fair. And this goes to anyone else who has to come from far away to get in: I will be willing to hook you up (admission, dinner, anything reasonable) if you aren't satisfied, as long as we play VOOT or VOOM. If you make the effort to show up, you will be rewarded.

You know, I was pretty good at VOOM but never in the arcades, so we'll be fairly even there. But just the thought of lagless VOOT against a quality opponent is enough to make me salivate...it's been so long since I've had that! Obviously, I'm bringing my Xbox 360 as well, so we won't be at a loss for those.

Hope to see you there!
- Confucius
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

Ugh... the play I'm in's dates have been changed and I have to be the lead roll in it for every day of Magfest except Sunday. I might make it then, but I won't be able to bring the cab or anything @_# Sorry, I had my planner all worked out but things change and I can't let down the other actors.
ImageImage
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

Although that is indeed disappointing, you gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks for letting us know in advance rather than at the last minute.

We still have to work out the TV situation, unless we can simply hijack two of the existing TV's. Otherwise, we won't be able to play VOOT. I'll have to think about this, and if I can find a cheap TV somewhere, or find one that someone is willing to donate, I can bring it, although bringing my existing ones is quite out of the question. I have a month to try to plan this, so no worries...yet.

MasterFygar, if you have any suggestions for how to work this out, let me know. I'll probably just try to track down Nick and see if we can work out something.
- Confucius
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I'm still not sure if I'm going (I better decide soon!), but:

From what I've read, the link cable for the 360 is just an ordinary crossover cable. If that's true, it should be easy to find a cheap one.

Also, a cheap way around the TV situation could be to buy some HDMI to DVI converters. It's certainly not optimal, but then I could bring my computer monitor. So that'd be one display, at least. Neither my 40" LCD or 24" CRT TVs are very portable. :P
VR-Eli
Gamertag: Mintzaigar

Post by VR-Eli »

I keep forgetting about MAGfest every damn year. I'd like to go, but I may not have the funds :( Already spent my current paycheck on bills and my next one won't be til after the con is over. I tried doing some VO stuff at magfest during it's first year (had a setup with a dreamcast and two twinsticks) but I made a confusing flier where people didn't know if I was doing it Friday night at midnight or Saturday night at midnight. It didn't matter cause everyone went to go see the Minibosses in concert that night. I played with a couple people though who were nostalgic about it and were at least excited to bang on the sticks. But wasn't able to get the people together to throw a tournament.
Xbox Gamertag: Mintzaigar
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

Look at how time flies! MAGFest is upon us, and I'm going to take a final roll call of who knows they will make it. Let me know if you are interested so we can find a way to meet up and play some VOOT (or Force!). I am planning on being there Friday evening, and throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday. If no one from the Oratan community is coming, then I know I won't have to bring my Xbox.
- Confucius
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

So I am going to have to rephrase my question: Who has preregistered? Because if you haven't, you won't be allowed to enter, according to the Website. The convention is now completely SOLD OUT!
- Confucius
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I decided against going since:

- I bought the Hori twin sticks, so I'm sort of relearning VOOT all over again (Specineff is a much different beast with the sticks). As such, I suck pretty hard at VOOT now... didn't seem worth showing up for that.
- I spent a lot of money right after Christmas. New 360 so I could play VO4, twin sticks, gym equipment for my basement... I could probably still afford to go, but it wouldn't be wise financially.
- I dragged my feet for too long, and the hotel was booked. I could have stayed at another hotel, but meh.

To answer my own question from before, there will be no shortage of shmups, although I'll be getting my shmup fix anyway.

Oh well, maybe next year.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

DeepInTheHops wrote:I decided against going since:

- I bought the Hori twin sticks, so I'm sort of relearning VOOT all over again (Specineff is a much different beast with the sticks). As such, I suck pretty hard at VOOT now... didn't seem worth showing up for that.
- I spent a lot of money right after Christmas. New 360 so I could play VO4, twin sticks, gym equipment for my basement... I could probably still afford to go, but it wouldn't be wise financially.
- I dragged my feet for too long, and the hotel was booked. I could have stayed at another hotel, but meh.

To answer my own question from before, there will be no shortage of shmups, although I'll be getting my shmup fix anyway.

Oh well, maybe next year.
I don't think anyone on any forum in history has ever had a more appropriate avatar than you do, sir. :(

:mrgreen:
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn