GUNHED discussion

Gaming-related threads & forum meta.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

GUNHED discussion

Post by Temjin747K »

This topic is where we shall discuss the 1989 sci-fi cyberpunk movie, GUNHED. In case you didn't know, GUNHED is done by the same guys who did the Godzilla movies, Toho Pictures!
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Re: GUNHED discussion

Post by MasterFygar »

Is that for sale in the US? I'm a huge Tohou fanboy but this is the first of this.
ImageImage
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

I happen to have a VHS tape of the English dub produced by ADV in 1996. Yes it is on DVD too
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=5Yj2YOP ... re=related

follow this address above to see a youtube vid of the original Japanese theatrical trailers
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

hellooooooooooo? anyone else gonna reply?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

It's kinda obscure... I've never heard of it. Sorry.
MentholMoose
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

that's okay.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

anyways, back in 1986, there was a story contest at Toho Studios between employees to make a script that would be the narrative for the next installment of the Heisei series Godzilla movies. James Bannon did a script for a movie (Godzilla 2) in which the King of the Monsters himself squares off with a giant supercomputer, but was beaten out by Shinichiro Kobayashi and his early draft of Godzilla VS Biollante. The Godzilla 2 script wasn't scrapped, but heavily re-worked by Masato Harada into that of GUNHED, removing Godzilla and other elements from the film. Mr. Harada directed the film and had himself credited as Alan Smithee in the English dub. The original film came out in theaters across Japan on July 22nd 1989, but not only that, there was also a shoot-em-up game released for the PC Engine (TG-16) as a tie-in to the movie (localized in the USA as Blazing Lazers, with all references to the GUNHED movie removed, and to top it off about said shoot-em-up, there was a Special Version of it given out exclusively at this special video game event held by Hudsonsoft, the creators of Bomberman). And would you believe me if I said that Brenda Bakke is in the movie?
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

wouldn't you believe it, GUNHED also came out on the laserdisc a long time ago, at least the original Japanese version