Senko no Ronde Rev.X

Gaming-related threads & forum meta.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Senko no Ronde Rev.X

Post by Zaarock »

I thought I'd share you guys some info about this game, as it is somewhat like virtual on and also has a xbox 360 port that can be found for low prices like ten dollars in the US.

The game is essentially virtual on in 2D with shmup-style bullet pattern attacks, and you can go into "boss mode". It's made by G.Rev who have made shmups for the dreamcast like Border Down and Under Defeat, the founders of the company were apparently people who left Taito, they had worked on games like G-Darius and Metal Black.

The game is pretty deep, with lots of strategy involved around the boss mode and overdrive mode. For example, your boss has more and stronger attacks if you have no lifebar left, but if you use a boss while you have more chargebar than lifebar you will receive half of the difference of your bosses health in relation to your normal health. People rarely use overdrive, but I've learned some effective strategies with it. Once you get good at fighting bosses you should try overdrive as you will deal double damage, etc.

hardcore gaming 101 has a very good site with loads of info about the game and how it relates to virtual on, etc:
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ ... oronde.htm

Here is a video of a pretty high level play match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0B5pQwULb4&fmt=18

I've played with both of those players, I've probably had most of my matches in the game against happy accident, not that many with IaMP though as he is never online when I am. I pretty much only use Changpo B in the game. It's definately one of my favorite games, I mostly bought it because I liked shmups and fighting games, and some videos of the arcade version looked so awesome. For me it was even better than I expected.

Unsurprisingly people I played senko with that are still active have gotten the XBLA port of VOOT, I've played a lot of my matches with them.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Rav3nlock

Re: Senko no Ronde Rev.X

Post by Rav3nlock »

I have Wartech, I'd played a few characters' story modes. I'd also heard it was like Virtual On when I purchased the game.

I don't see the connection to Virtual On though, beyond the little tidbits of controls. From what I remember, the game felt very strange to play, like I was sliding all over the place, where in Virtual On I have a definite sense of control in an environment with a whole extra dimension. To top it off, it was all very... cutesy. Not that I'm against games like that, I'd played cutesy stuff with no shame when I'm having fun, but it didn't strike me as what I'd expect from a successor to the Virtual On series.

I dunno, maybe I have to give this game a second look. I tried it for about 3 days and then away it went so I could work on other games in my library. It just didn't strike me right.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Rav3nlock wrote:I have Wartech, I'd played a few characters' story modes. I'd also heard it was like Virtual On when I purchased the game.

I don't see the connection to Virtual On though, beyond the little tidbits of controls. From what I remember, the game felt very strange to play, like I was sliding all over the place, where in Virtual On I have a definite sense of control in an environment with a whole extra dimension. To top it off, it was all very... cutesy. Not that I'm against games like that, I'd played cutesy stuff with no shame when I'm having fun, but it didn't strike me as what I'd expect from a successor to the Virtual On series.

I dunno, maybe I have to give this game a second look. I tried it for about 3 days and then away it went so I could work on other games in my library. It just didn't strike me right.
Eh, did you dash a lot? I think that vid I linked shows how you can easily move once you learn to control the dashes. It is very easy to vector dash in senko, you just need to repress the dash button with the joystick in a direction. I prefer to dash cancel with RT(shield) as you dont need to put the joystick into neutral. Dashing and dash canceling actually recharges your main weapon and the ability to do non-neutral barrages, meaning you can keep repeating large spread moves, dash canceling between each attack. the control without dashing is indeed somewhat floaty, depending on the character though. the characters dash somewhat differently too, for example fabian has a pretty long freeze time after dashing, which makes dash attacking pretty dangerous for him.

I found the controls to work very well with a bit of practice. The only problem for me is the slight floatiness of control when dodging boss bullets, the rounders dont move like shmup ships lol. Efficient use of invulnerability times will make you do okay against bosses though. a good way to practice your vector dashing is to fight a Mika B player, because he can shoot ridiculous amounts of missiles(in smaller sets using canceling too), especially after a recent patch.
I eventually learned a fun trick to use against mika B:s, if you are fast enough at dash canceling: melee dash when he is shooting missiles, you'll cut right through them (and oddly enough, their special ability of small explosions).

Also, did you play against other people much? the single player is pretty bad, at least IMO.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Rav3nlock

Post by Rav3nlock »

Given that I'd only played for a few days, I honestly don't remember how I played or what I learned, knowing I made it through some levels fine but some with some difficulty. I certainly know I did play with a few people, but they shared the same sentiment as me and dropped the game faster than I did--my brother, in fact, who has been playing Virtual On nearly as long as me, gave up on Wartech pretty quick.

Even if I could improve my play style, the overall aesthetic still remains, and I just don't think I can get into that with my robot fighters. Doesn't matter if I'm good or bad at something if I just can't get the same feeling a game like Virtual On gives me.
Oolong

Post by Oolong »

I'm so hyped about voot, I've since picked this up (bought it way back when, and resold it promptly), and joined some random japanese robot forum. I have yet to post :|
GT: Gekirou