Bragging Rights Oratan Tournament Summer 09

Tournament info goes here!!
VR-Eli
Gamertag: Mintzaigar

Bragging Rights Oratan Tournament Summer 09

Post by VR-Eli »

Alright, sorry for the wait everyone. Tournament is go!!

Here are the contestants, this list is final! Sorry for anyone else who wanted in, but we'll have more (and hopefully better organized) tourneys later.

--gamertag--/--username--
+ Mintzaigar / VR-Eli
+ Feixaq / feixaq
+ Lt Testament / Testament/Seven7 (whoops was on auto-pilot)
- KoOpaMan520 / Tim
- Squeak MK2 / Squeak
- ThGreenTentacle / Ed
- PaperNinjaOri / Carlos
+ The Cosmos Owl / rsrkdo
+ Gekirou / Oolong
+ Jinsai Toda
+ ChaRaa
+ JohnxII / JohnxII
+ Schooly D / Schooly D
+ DaveRudolph / DeepInTheHops
+ MentholMo0se / Menthol Moose
+ CrazyDazed / CRAZYDAZED
+ Mechazoidal / mechazoidal
+ FreeScotland / max99
+ Zaarock / Zaarock
+ AnikingVOOT / AnikingVOOT
+DeltastrikeX / DeltastrikeX
+neoKEN360 / neoKEN

Tournament will be Round Robin Only! Sorry, I don't feel like doing a bracket. If there are ties, we'll go from there.

The way this will work is you will message one of the competitors to arrange a match. Once you arrange a match, setup a Xbox Live Party and go to a Party Lobby in VOOT. Rules are Best 2 out of 3 Matches with 2 out of 3 Rounds in each match. Time limit is 80 seconds. You're allowed to change VR's after each Match. First to 2 Match wins is the winner. If you win that set of matches, you get a point for the victory and you can go one and find the next person on the list you need to compete against. You will continue to do this until you've fought 21 people.

I have created an Adobe Acrobat pdf worksheet to help you keep track. http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelmintz ... mmer09.pdf I'm not too familiar with acrobat yet though, so I don't know how to make it a submittable form. But this should help you keep track of things. (with the exception that you can't really save a completed file without Acrobat Pro, sorry :( )

Please remember to save your replays after every match. Make sure to save them with relevant save names so they don't accidentally get deleted.

Please make sure the matches are setup properly. This is largely going to be done based on honor system, so I hope everyone will be sporting. With that said, best of luck to everyone!

EDIT: This is the original post: Alright, well it's been a couple of weeks now that the game has been out.

Let's have an informal oratan.com online tournament with all the members here. Winner gets supreme bragging rights and fanart of their VR. PM me to sign up. Sign up ends June 3rd at 10PM EST.

After I get all the participants, I will randomly place names in a bracket. I will then pm/email the two in a round and ask when they can fight their round. In the event that there are an odd number of participants, the odd participant out will be seeded in randomly (to be determined by dice roll). Since we're all around different places of the world, we can't really do all of the tournament in one go, so it'd make more sense for players to agree on times to fight.

Match setups will take place by inviting opponents into an Xbox Live party and then duking it out.

Rules will be set to 80 seconds Best 2 out of 3 Matches with 2 out of 3 Rounds. So this means that the individual game is set to Best 2 out of 3. But if you lose, you'll have another shot at fighting again and an opportunity to change your VR. Whoever is the first to win those 2 matches wins of course.

Edit: If the number of participants is low, we may do round robin match ups.

I will do my best to Referee the fights. Since I can't really see the fights as they happen, the only thing I can do is to ensure that the round is setup properly. Aside from that, I'm just going to have to ask that you all use an honor system.

Oh and one final note, please save your replays so they can be uploaded and then potentially copied using the Save file glitch.

Let me know it there are any questions or concerns :D
Last edited by VR-Eli on 14 Jun 2009, 14:07, edited 5 times in total.
Xbox Gamertag: Mintzaigar
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Re: Bragging Rights Oratan Tournament Summer 09

Post by Schooly D »

Sounds like a neat idea. I know MentholMoose was trying to set up a tournament. Is he involved with this?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Thats pretty soon. imo it needs more time for notice. Tho what day is it held is more important. And ppl signing up also important.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

PM sent.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I'd play, but I'm going to be busy with summer classes and work through this week and next, so scheduling matches would probably be too much of a hassle.
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

Schooly D wrote:Sounds like a neat idea. I know MentholMoose was trying to set up a tournament. Is he involved with this?
Nope this is different from Menthol Moose's Limited War. I'm just bored and wanted to do my own thing just to kinda size up who is king of the hill on the forums, hehe.

In terms of "when" I don't plan to be that rigid. If this were a tournament were we could physically all meet, that'd be one thing. But on account that we all live in different time zones, this will be done on an appointment basis.

Instead of the tournament being completed in one go, it will instead be done over the course of some time when two players in a match-up can agree upon a time to fight.

As for time line, I figure a week is enough time for sign-up. And we'll have more tournaments so if anyone misses this one, I can do another one later no problem. Or if anyone else would like to arrange their own.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

A strict bracket setup kind of sucks for these sorts of tournaments, as it only takes one scheduling conflict or unexpected problem to hold the whole thing up for days or force multiple people to drop out.

If there aren't that many people (say, less than 8) signed up, a round robin style would likely be better. If not that, then some kind of elimination setup where people have some freedom in matching up with random opponents each round instead of it being predetermined would probably help.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Can we use this as a chance to pimp the forum to others? Or do we want to keep this personal and intimate?

For example, see a US player on XBL, and send him a message telling him about the tournament and how it's based on this forum? Then we'd get another form-goer and another entry in the tournament.

I also think a round-robin style tournament would be better if we have less than 8 players. And if we have more than that and go with a bracket, we might want to find a different method of seeding. That way we avoid possibly matching the two best players up in the first round. Though I guess double-elimination would help avoid this problem.
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

I see what you two mean. I wouldn't object to round robin, especially since it'd be a good chance for us to fight each other at least once.

Hmm, About bringing more people in, I dunno. I guess the more the merrier is fine by me. Think I should make a post on Gamefaqs?
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

Actually wait, I thought about it and I'm concerned about the more the merrier thing. Simply because I'd be afraid of the number growing rather large and then become a scheduling nightmare... Also I feel like I'd be taking some thunder away from Menthol Moose's push to promote oratan.com

Maybe limit it to buddies of oratan.com members at most. I dunno, if any of you think it's unfair to limit to just oratan.com let me know.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

I really don't think you'll have to worry about getting too many people. You're probably only going to get 5 or 6 from this forum, anyway. But, if you really are afraid it'll get too big, impose a cap. Say, 16 people?

I just think this could be a good chance to further consolidate the US VOOT community, which will lead to bigger tournaments, more discussion, etc.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Feel free to promote the tourney and/or forum. :) I just got from vacation, so I don't have any solid plans for an "official" tourney.
MentholMoose
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

So far I have 10 people (including myself) who've signed up. Not too shabby for the middle of the week.
edit 5/30: 19 signed up!
Last edited by VR-Eli on 30 May 2009, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
feixaq

Post by feixaq »

My $0.02: I'd be in favor of a round robin style or double elimination as well; more fun to play against more players :)
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

Yeah, I'd love to do round robin myself, I'm just worried about how to organize it if a participant's schedule doesn't match up
max99

Post by max99 »

pm sent
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

Alrighty, we have 20 participants. Here are their gamertags followed by name. Participants with a + next to them are members of oratan.com

--gamertag--/--username--
+ Mintzaigar / VR-Eli
+ Feixaq / feixaq
+ Lt Testament / Testament/Seven7 (whoops was on auto-pilot)
- KoOpaMan520 / Tim
- Squeak MK2 / Squeak
- ThGreenTentacle / Ed
- PaperNinjaOri / Carlos
- The Cosmos Owl / Frank
+ Gekirou / Oolong
+ Jinsai Toda
- ChaRaa
+ JohnxII / JohnxII
+ Schooly D / Schooly D
+ DaveRudolph / DeepInTheHops
+ MentholMo0se / Menthol Moose
+ CrazyDazed / CRAZYDAZED
+ Mechazoidal / mechazoidal
+ FreeScottland / max99
+ Zaarock / Zaarock
+ AnikingVOOT / AnikingVOOT

Thanks to everyone who signed up. Some of the people on this list are people from xbox live that haven't posted on the forum, and others are some buddies I asked to participate. Feel free to friend each other if you haven't already. I'll be messaging you all about times to play later in the week (probably on Friday).

I wanted to ask a general question though, about how free are you guys on weekends? Several people have mentioned they'd prefer a round robin setup.
Last edited by VR-Eli on 04 Jun 2009, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

just an fyi, thats not my oratan username....obviously

Lt testament\Testament/Seven7

just an fyi...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

VR-Eli wrote:+ AnikingVOOT / AnikingVOOT
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

[erased]
Last edited by DeltastrikeX on 16 Dec 2017, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!