Bragging Rights Oratan Tournament Summer 09

Tournament info goes here!!
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Re: Bragging Rights Oratan Tournament Summer 09

Post by Schooly D »

Hah. Thanks for the compliment, but MentholMoose and anikingVOOT are both a level above me. I'll be shooting for third place in this tournament (the Everywhere Other Than Japan Championship?)

The next couple of weekends are no good for me, but I should be available the weekends after that.

How is the tournament structured? I was thinking one giant round-robin (everyone plays everyone else) using brief match settings (best 2 out of 3 rounds) to start off, then using the results of the round-robin to seed people for a bracketed tournament (single-elimination, probably). The bracket matches would be longer than the round-robin matches, with maybe the finals being even longer. Thoughts?

Also, we need someone with video editing skills to make a sweet-looking montage of the tournament matches. MentholMoose can pay 'em.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Unless otherwise stated, i'm pretty much avalable any day after 2 pm till about...1 am US CST.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
VR-Eli
Gamertag: Mintzaigar

Post by VR-Eli »

DeltastrikeX wrote:
Schooly D is probably going to win. I played him online in ranked. hes good.

Edit: is it too late for me to sign up? GT = DeltastrikeX

also i'm usually free weekdays: tues - thurs. weekends I work but anytime after 8pm est is good.
Yeah sorry man. :/ But I plan on doing more in the future.

Yo Schooly D: What weekend exactly would you be free? And I'm decent with video editing, I'm sure I could put together a little something.
Xbox Gamertag: Mintzaigar
anikingVOOT
Gamertag: anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

Schooly D wrote:
VR-Eli wrote:+ AnikingVOOT / AnikingVOOT
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Oh, come on. As long as you are trying, there is a chance.
VR-Eli wrote:I wanted to ask a general question though, about how free are you guys on weekends? Several people have mentioned they'd prefer a round robin setup.
I got whole sunday off, so anytime on sunday is ok.

Hope the update coming before the tournament, in that way we can watch matches live.
And if somebodys watching the match, players should be excited too.
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

School just ended for me so I should be available around 18-03GMT.
Good to see we got many high level players now, this will be interesting.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

As long as I know in advance, generally I can be online:
Weekdays: After 5:30 PM (6 is probably a safer bet), until 11 or 12 or so.
Weekends: Whenever.

I'm in Eastern Time.

I'll be playing VOOT much more than usual next week. My girlfriend will be gone on vacation so I'll have the place to myself. No internet sharing! :geek:
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

VR-Eli wrote:- Jinsai Toda
He's actually a member here, just not active.
VR-Eli wrote:I wanted to ask a general question though, about how free are you guys on weekends? Several people have mentioned they'd prefer a round robin setup.
I'm available on weekends from about 8AM to 8PM Pacific. For weekdays it's only about 6PM to 8PM, though. :(
Schooly D wrote:Also, we need someone with video editing skills to make a sweet-looking montage of the tournament matches. MentholMoose can pay 'em.
I can put something together once I have a capture card. Also, I think CrazyDazed has some editing skills.
anikingVOOT wrote:As long as you are trying, there is a chance.
Right! Never give up!!
anikingVOOT wrote:Hope the update coming before the tournament, in that way we can watch matches live.
If not, it should be available for the next tournament.
MentholMoose
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

anikingVOOT wrote:Hope the update coming before the tournament, in that way we can watch matches live.
Well, this has the possibility of not being such a great idea. With people spectating, wouldn't that mean the player inputs have to get to more people, thereby increasing lag?
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

I have to add you all on Xbox live. If you get a friend request from me, please accept it.
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

MentholMoose wrote:
Schooly D wrote:Also, we need someone with video editing skills to make a sweet-looking montage of the tournament matches. MentholMoose can pay 'em.
I can put something together once I have a capture card. Also, I think CrazyDazed has some editing skills.
I actually came up with something neat in mind, presenting it like a sports program sorta so I'd like to do the editing. (Just worried about the getting the footage...)
MentholMoose wrote:Right! Never give up!!
Damn right! :twisted:

Anyhow I just wanted to add something that came to mind in the future for anyone else wanting to setup tournaments Online. See I realized, I went about this all wrong, and my decision for how to run this may suck if our schedules don't add up. But I hope you all can bear with me on this first online tourney. It would've made much more sense to just set a solid date and time for a Round Robin tournament and then have sign up be open up until the tournament takes place. But I was just focused on doing a tournament all plain vanilla bracket style at first. As people signed on though, I had totally missed the mark on people's priorities and that is, we just love playing Virtual On. A lot. So of course, we'd want to play as many rounds as we could. And I just wasn't even thinking of doing this in delicious cookie dough flavor with sprinkles on top Robin Round style.

So I'm hoping that if we can get the planets to align (our weekends in order), we can do round robin, but right now, it's looking like it'll have to be a bracket. But let me see, I'm writing down people's schedules as I see them.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

Like I said, i'm usually good anytime after 8pm ish. At worse I can be on 8:30pm est every night.

Also I added most of you to my friends list on live.

The only ones I didn't get are the ones with weird spellings and Schooly D because his friends list is full.
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Oh, you wanted this to all be done in an evening?

Why not just have it done over the course of, say a week? Let people schedule with each other on their own and play their matches when they can. Then when the round-robin is done, get on with the bracketed tournament over the course of another week. It's going to be impossible to match everyone's schedules so they're all online at the same time.
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

Well, my mind is kinda boggling over how to do a round robin if everyone isn't around, at one ya know? I dunno, I'll figure something out.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

Schooly D wrote:Oh, you wanted this to all be done in an evening?

Why not just have it done over the course of, say a week? Let people schedule with each other on their own and play their matches when they can. Then when the round-robin is done, get on with the bracketed tournament over the course of another week. It's going to be impossible to match everyone's schedules so they're all online at the same time.
I agree, also schooly please add me to your friendslist if you can.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

VR-Eli wrote:Well, my mind is kinda boggling over how to do a round robin if everyone isn't around, at one ya know? I dunno, I'll figure something out.
A while ago, a friend and I ran a small online Halo 3 tournament, over at http://league.bungie.org/1v1/

Getting everyone's schedules to jibe was too much of a hassle, so we just gave everyone a list of who they needed to play (round-robin), made their contact info available, and said "schedule your matches on your own, but have them done by X date." It worked out great. We can even have MentholMoose set up a special temporary sub-forum specifically for seeking out matches and coordinating schedules.

Using the results from the round-robin portion, we seeded the final bracket. The same scheduling method applied: here's who you have to play, get in touch and play them. Again, no problems.

And yeah, DeltaStrike, sorry about that. I'll add you once I get off work this evening.
ChaRaa

Post by ChaRaa »

Finally joined Oratan forum~ this will be my first post.
Schooly D wrote: Getting everyone's schedules to jibe was too much of a hassle, so we just gave everyone a list of who they needed to play (round-robin), made their contact info available, and said "schedule your matches on your own, but have them done by X date." It worked out great. We can even have MentholMoose set up a special temporary sub-forum specifically for seeking out matches and coordinating schedules.
I like this idea. I like to add that when you decided when your matches should be you should post on forum or notify VR-Eli. In case anybody else like to join party and watch. (There's an update that everyone in party can watch the match soon?)
GT: ChaRaa
feixaq

Post by feixaq »

Schooly D wrote:Getting everyone's schedules to jibe was too much of a hassle, so we just gave everyone a list of who they needed to play (round-robin), made their contact info available, and said "schedule your matches on your own, but have them done by X date." It worked out great. We can even have MentholMoose set up a special temporary sub-forum specifically for seeking out matches and coordinating schedules.
I agree, this is probably the best way to do it. Keep the scheduling fairly informal for the round robin and maybe even the earlier rounds of the brackets, let the individual players figure out how/when to meet up and play. You might want to set up "checkpoints" however (e.g. must complete 1/3 of your matches by 1st week, another 1/3 in week 2, and wrap up in week 3) and get on the cases of those who are behind schedule, so you don't have some players holding up the round robin.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

VR eli

can you add my name to the gamertags list of people who want to enter the tourney?
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

Sorry guys, really busy with drawing stuff this weekend, I'll make a round robin sheet and post an update monday. I'll update the roster of who is participating then. :<
Purple-Tamjin

Post by Purple-Tamjin »

Well, if the thing is still going on I'd like to throw my hat into the ring.
Gamering Taga: KyuAzier