Post by MentholMoose »

Porcupine wrote:What was SydVOC's url?
It was sydvoc dot com.
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Re: SoCal tournament? Or something?

Post by Porcupine »

When I look at sydvoc.com that page looks completely alien to me and I have no recollection of anything in it. However there is some dude called Porcupine there talking up a storm.

I can read the topics of the forum threads but the posts themselves are gone. I wish I could read them because I used to know a lot of VOOT stuff that I forgot after ten years. When I first got back into VOOT 360, I realized that I had forgotten 80% of all facts (moves, properties, damages, numbers, glitches) that I used to know. I know many new facts now but there is still a lot of my original knowledge that I did not relearn. (Knowledge does not equate to skill in playing, but it's always nice to have).

For me sydvoc.com was probably one of the more recent forums I ever talked on, too. I think that in terms of pseudo-competitive VO age I am possibly the oldest player who is still active. By that I mean age in years that I had played VO with at least a few other people semi-competitively on rare occasion. I started out in 1995 or 1996, don't remember exactly when but probably just a little after the release date of arcade VOOM (my friend introduced me to the game). I first met up with Mitch and crew (thus the first encounter with real competition) sometime after that, but maybe before the Saturn version was released in late 1996. I remember because we went to Mitch's house to check out the new Saturn version one day. I only ever played with them several times though at Camelot, then I played with you and everyone several more times in VOOT at SHGL.
temjinalpha
Gamertag: temjinalpha78

Post by temjinalpha »

hi everyone so i wanted to ask you guys for input on VO rules for OT & Force

are there standard rules that are used for both OT & Force? also is there any characters that are banned in tournament play?
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I am personally of the opinion that there cannot be player-imposed rules in any "serious" tournament. Any normally useable character, glitch, or move that exists has to be allowed. To not do so removes any claim of the tournament being "credible" or "official" in my eyes. Of course there is nothing wrong with holding casual tournaments, which is what most videogame tournaments truly are (though some improperly claim otherwise).

The main thing that tournament organizers can specify are the hardware allowed (controllers, etc) and the game settings (rounds, time limit, etc) and the format (who fights who, and number of matches people play). Virtual On is a game series that is more affected by round and time settings, than most other fighting games. I think most players decide to accept the default game settings.

In Force there are two characters, small Jaguarandi and Apharmd Hatter, that can be banned for VS play through a game setting, and are indeed banned by default. This kind of thing is good for tournament organizers because it lets them "legitimately" decide whether to allow them. I haven't played with small Jaguarandi so I can't say how strong he is, but I think most Japanese players agree that he should be banned. There is no reason to ban Apharmd Hatter but he might get banned with Jaguarandi because of the setting.

In Force, there is also a code of honor Guarayakha ban in Japan which is almost universally accepted, due to this character being able to temporarily transform into small Jaguarandi, and perhaps too strong in general. This ban even applies in online casual matches in player lobbies. But as there is no game setting to ban this character, I think all Japanese tournaments allow it, and most participants avoid using it of their own free will.

In OT you have the option to ban Ajim as he has to be unlocked in single player play first, and you can "legitimately" or unintentionally ban him by not unlocking him. Ajim is generally considered weak though, so you should probably let people use him.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

I can only speak to prescriptions for VOOT:

- The only one who might be worth banning would be Ajim, simply because he's unlockable. But if for some reason you're confident he's available on the box we'll be playing on, and every player will be able to select him, you can leave him in. He's pretty far down the tier list.

- Stages are always random and cannot be selected. The map that gets chosen can have a significant impact on the match (some VRs work better on some maps), so it's better to split matches between two players into more games/fewer rounds. E.g. "2 out of 3 rounds, best 3 games out of 5" instead of "5 out of 9 rounds, winner wins". That way you don't screw someone over with a bad map draw

If I were running things, my setup would look like this
Round time: 80 (accepted default time)
Rounds to win: 2
Games to win: (depends on what part of the bracket you're in -- 2 starting out, 4 in the finals)

- There are some game-breaking glitches/techniques that no one will be able to perform but might be worth banning anyway. An example would be intentionally sending Dordray through the floor of the map and into oblivion until time expires. Even if you know how to do it it's extremely difficult to pull off, but if you're worried you can add "no falling through the floor" to the fine print
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Schooly D wrote:If I were running things, my setup would look like this
Round time: 80 (accepted default time)
Rounds to win: 2
Games to win: (depends on what part of the bracket you're in -- 2 starting out, 4 in the finals)
Agreed. This has been the standard for every VOOT tournament I've seen.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

I got confirmation of another attendee: forum member StarPlatinum87.
MentholMoose
DarkraiZero
Gamertag: Darkrai100234

Post by DarkraiZero »

I probably won't be going. :( Besides last time I played, Those matches with Vash awhile back showed me that I'm rusty... very rusty. Have fun everyone! :)
OMG: Apharmd, Temjin, Bal-Bas-Bow
VOOT: Temjin, Bal-Bados
VO4: Specineff 13 The Sin
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

To be brutally honest, I don't think most of us are at a high enough level to be worrying about rust, unless someone didn't play for like 4 years. We just need to play more and actually get better. If someone stops playing for a year, they could be a little awkward when they come back, but that can mostly go away within a week.

Rust is something that primarily concerns high level players, or players who feel they have reached their peak. MentholMoose, Schooly D, and anikingVOOT might fall under that category.

Darkrai is probably one of the better western players but I don't think he is near his peak. Meanwhile, Vash has surprised a lot of people and truly improved a lot. And I still think I'm only at the beginning of where I could get to. In terms of power and reflexes, I'm old and weak now, but experience and understanding means more in this game. Plus the fact that we play with lag reduces the benefit of fast reactions.