SoCal tournament? Or something?

Tournament info goes here!!
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

SoCal tournament? Or something?

Post by Schooly D »

Saw this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/IEBattleGrounds/sta ... 2756361216

The people putting it on, IE-Battlegrounds, apparently put on fighting game tournaments at arcades in the SoCal area. The tweet mentions VOOT, FORCE, and some (new?) Gundam game. We'll have to see if they have cabinets for any of them.

I'd probably travel down to compete. If they somehow have a VOOT cabinet, I'll have to spend the day before practicing on sticks at Menthol's place. :mrgreen:
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: SoCal tournament? Or something?

Post by MentholMoose »

Nice find! They hold tournaments at Super Arcade which is 10 minutes from my house. Super Arcade had a VOOT Ver.5.2 machine at one point but I didn't see it the last time I was there. I've seen some of their other tournaments and they were on consoles. I guess I better practice a bit. 8-)
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

If MentholMoose and Schooly are going to be practicing online, I'd like to play too. But unfortunately I just moved my 360 and took it offline for an extended period of time to play a stack of offline games that built up for me. I did this last year, too. Oh well. I noticed that nearly all of our VO players had stopped playing in the last few months so I figured I might as well use the opportunity to go offline myself.
VOTwinstick
Gamertag: VOTwinstick

Post by VOTwinstick »

Kinda funny. The guy trying to setup the VOOT & FORCE Tournament at Super Arcade in Walnut Ca. has been trying to join Oratan Forums. Keep the door locked until he agrees to sell his VOOT cabs to me! Their at his house, I can find it! I PM'd msg tonite (MentholMoose & site Admin) after he let me know he hadn't received his key yet to Oratan Forums. Let's help him/help us! I'd say we need a ground swell to insure his/our CTVO Tourney happends! I got my gas card ready to make the trip!
@VOTwinstick on Twitter / VOTwinstick on Twitch & Niconico / VO-MC / Temjin from Green Hills to Jupiter!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Well I already activated his account so it is too late to block him now. :)
MentholMoose
temjinalpha
Gamertag: temjinalpha78

Post by temjinalpha »

hello everyone my name is Mando im from SoCal and i run iebattlegrounds and we are always trying to help promote a verity of games and communities, forgive me for posting so late but i had a ton of work to do prior to our SCR major that took place not too long ago.

i have not been active in VO for a very VERY long time! i love VO but out here i could never find competition in it after machines started to disappear along with arcades
but it has always stayed one of my all time favorite games ever.

in the last 6 months the Gundam community has increased at our local venue Super Arcade in Walnut. and with the new updated version "Full Boost" i thought i would lend my support to that community and it turns out there where even more players out there that were local to us. here is the stream archive of that event in case you want to check it out http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds/b/501880177

im not a Gundam player... Yet LOL but after helping the community out and watching the tournaments they hold i thought it would be awesome if i could do this for the VO community out there or at least bring more awareness to VO

so ill let you guys be the first to know that the event is schedules for April 12th at Super Arcade. it will feature Gundam EXVSFB, VO Force & VO:OT i am working on more details for the event that will be updated this week also if anyone is interested in helping out with this event please let me know.

VOTwinstick wrote:Kinda funny. The guy trying to setup the VOOT & FORCE Tournament at Super Arcade in Walnut Ca. has been trying to join Oratan Forums. Keep the door locked until he agrees to sell his VOOT cabs to me! Their at his house, I can find it! I PM'd msg tonite (MentholMoose & site Admin) after he let me know he hadn't received his key yet to Oratan Forums. Let's help him/help us! I'd say we need a ground swell to insure his/our CTVO Tourney happends! I got my gas card ready to make the trip!
\

lol i don't have the machines at my house they are in storage :( but once i get my house ill have them up and running again.

errrr... i forgot to mention i also work at super arcade :D
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

You guys have a Force arcade machine?

Is your VOOT cabinet a real one or a converted VOOM cabinet? What version of VOOT does it run?
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

I'm there

@MentholMoose want to team up for the FORCE competition?
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I didn't know Schooly D played Force. If you have it on Xbox 360 you should play with us, we always need more players. Recently, a surge of random new english-speaking players has enabled us to play quite often if we want to. But it is hard to find players who can play at a competitive level. In my opinion, playing either VOOT or VOOM competitively helps in Force a lot. Although each VO game is different, there are so many things which carry over from all the games which can only be learned through years of competitive experience.

There are a couple of english-speaking Force players who impress me a lot, but I think they will hit a wall at some point because playing Force masks the need for some core 1v1 skills that you only acquire in VOOT or VOOM. There should have been a 1v1 option in Force, it would have helped for this.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Hah. I do not and have never played Force. And I don't think Menthol has, either. I just figured if we're at the same event we might as well team up and represent SydVOC.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Yeah I only tried VO4 a couple times, but I'll enter the VO4 tourney with you if you want. However, I don't think I will practice it much since I will be focusing on getting back up to speed in VOOT.

Also there is a chance I will not be able to attend at all. I might be out of town that weekend. I should know for sure soon.
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

By a couple of times, do you mean you played online against others a couple of times, or you just played against the CPU a few times? If you learned the basics offline then played online even a couple of times, you could potentially already be competitive.

If not, then haha it might be pretty funny if someone were actually able to beat both you and Schooly D paired together, probably the two strongest non-Japanese VOOT players in the world. It still seems kind of unfair for you two to team up though. :)

If VOTwinstick decides to travel and can find a partner, maybe you guys would have a rival. Vash would be the ideal partner for VOTwinstick. They are each strongest in the area the other is weakest. They could both use some intensive training though.

I don't remember SydVOC at all. Was that before my time, or did I not participate there, or did I just plain forget?
temjinalpha

Post by temjinalpha »

Porcupine wrote:You guys have a Force arcade machine?

Is your VOOT cabinet a real one or a converted VOOM cabinet? What version of VOOT does it run?

we don't have a force machine, my VOOT cab is a convert from VOOM, i don't remember what version it it but its on a SM3 board.

here is a pic of my VOOT cab from about 6 years ago right b 4 it when to storage :(

i never played force so ill need to brush up on it once the discs come in from playasia once i get them you can come practice force at super arcade during our Friday casuals or or biweekly rebel up events. ill keep you posted on that
temjinalpha

Post by temjinalpha »

also i made an event page on facebook in case you guys would like to post up on there also. you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/events/631007390287567/
DarkraiZero
Gamertag: Darkrai100234

Post by DarkraiZero »

I have a friend going for EXVSFB I think... and I may be there to potentially to compete in VOOT if I do attend. I don't think there is anyone else to partner up with for VO4 if I am able to go. :|
OMG: Apharmd, Temjin, Bal-Bas-Bow
VOOT: Temjin, Bal-Bados
VO4: Specineff 13 The Sin
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I went back to study Darkrai's uploaded replay where he and a beginnerish Japanese player defeated me and VOTwinstick in the hopes of finding out what I need to teach VOTwinstick. I never watched him play before in Force from his point of view. He has more to learn than I realized. I do not think he and Vash can beat Schooly D and MentholMoose anymore, even if Schooly and Moose never saw the game before. It's also a problem that they both use Temjin which is a bad VR pairing.

The only way Schooly and Moose would have competition is if Darkrai goes, but he needs a partner who at least knows the controls. If Darkrai could partner with either Vash or VOTwinstick, I think that would be best.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Porcupine wrote:By a couple of times, do you mean you played online against others a couple of times, or you just played against the CPU a few times? If you learned the basics offline then played online even a couple of times, you could potentially already be competitive.
I've only played a bit of single player.
Porcupine wrote:I don't remember SydVOC at all. Was that before my time, or did I not participate there, or did I just plain forget?
I believe you were on the SydVOC forums. You can check the archives on the Wayback Machine to confirm.
MentholMoose
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Aniking tells me he's planning on going.

Dammit.
anikingVOOT
Gamertag: anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

Alright, I'm more and more likely going to be on it.

Before I decide who will be my partner on Force, I want to find a partner for GUNDAM EXVS.
Currently, I DON'T have PS3 and Copy of EXVS, but I'm going to borrow one from my friend. I have 30 more days to practice and plenty friends who plays EXVS in Japan being able to give me lessons. So I will become "aniking on EXVS" like "aniking on VOOT".

Reminder: I won the very first Gundam Fed vs Zeon tournament held at local arcade in my hometown japan back in 2001.

I want to choose partner from V-on players, but if no ones would participate, I will post on facebook to find one.

Anyone?
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I don't know how to use Wayback Machine. What was SydVOC's url?

aniking do you play Force? Why don't you play online with us?

I'm not going to the tournament by the way, I don't travel for such things. I prefer to live alone on my mountain.