Japanese Tournament on Sunday, August 2

Tournament info goes here!!
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Japanese Tournament on Sunday, August 2

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I started copying down gamertags from the live stream, but I didn't catch all of them. What was the one in bold?

hiroelza (Temjin)
DUMuranus (Bal-Bados)
tatsuketekureeee (Apharmd B)
tonosama123 (Apharmd B)
Wild Esoteric (Fei-Yen Kn)
x396 jpn (Bal-Series)
suma124u (Raiden)
moteen (Grys-Vok)
YUMBO Y35 (Dordray)
Y shaku jpn (Bal-Series)
ESPOIR RAIDEN (Raiden)
shiningstone (Apharmd S)
kotatsuneko012 (Raiden)
GTeaS (Fei-Yen Kn)
peimero (Dordray)
Schooly D (Cypher)
Last edited by Sixfortyfive on 02 Aug 2009, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
anikingVOOT
Gamertag: anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

good work guys. the next one will be Sunday Sep 6th.
Last edited by anikingVOOT on 02 Aug 2009, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

I lost. Really badly too. It looked closer than it was because my opponent was holding back, probably so the match would be more exciting :lol:

Still, it was awesome to play. Big ups to my boy aniking for getting us in the door. I think an entry into the Sweet 16 is a little too generous, though. Maybe the US/International champ can go in a round earlier next time. Well, if there is a next time. I don't know how eager the staff will be to accommodate us since only three people showed up this time :mrgreen:

So, we have to start recruiting and pimping. Who's willing to advertise the game on 4chan's Video Games board? :lol:
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

YOU FAILED US! YOU'RE OFF THE TEAM! :P

Menthol posted about this tournament on Shoryuken and I posted about it on GAF. A handful of people on both forums play the game but I don't think anyone was willing to wake up in the twilight hours just to be stomped down in the first couple of rounds.

And 4chan is the worst place I can think of for gaming discussion, so you're on your own there. :lol:

I do think that grouping the foreigners together is a good thing for lag purposes, but the rest of the bracket shouldn't be empty. Most of the other brackets I looked at had about 5-7 players, whereas ours had 4.

Big thanks to everyone who helped set it up, though.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Sixfortyfive wrote:YOU FAILED US! YOU'RE OFF THE TEAM! :P
If it's any consolation, neither of us would've stood a chance. MentholMoose would've at least had a shot, but you had to go and BEAT HIM. :x :lol:

I knew going into it that if I wanted to be competitive, I'd have to abide by the priority structure of high-level Japanese play, which is:

(1) Don't get hit, then
(2) Hit

Instead the excitement and nerves got to me, and my priority structure looked something like this:

(1) Hit

Didn't work out too well :D
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

And what's up, aniking? I see you there in the Japanese IRC channel. What's up, too good for our American VOOT channel? :twisted:
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Not many of the players seem to have uploaded their replays. Bolded matches are the ones I'm missing.

DUMuranus (Bal-Series) vs hiroelza (Temjin)
tatsuketekureeee (Apharmd B) vs tonosama123 (Apharmd B)
Wild Esoteric (Fei-Yen Kn) vs x396 jpn (Bal-Series)
suma124u (Raiden) vs moteen (Grys-Vok) - I *think* I have this one, but suma was the one who posted it, and he won the match.
YUMBO Y35 (Dordray) vs Y shaku jpn (Bal-Series)
ESPOIR RAIDEN (Raiden) vs shiningstone (Apharmd S)
kotatsuneko012 (Raiden) vs GTeaS (Fei-Yen Kn)
Schooly D (Cypher) vs peimero (Dordray)

hiroelza (Temjin) vs tatsuketekureeee (Apharmd B)
Wild Esoteric (Fei-Yen Kn) vs suma124u (Raiden)
Y shaku jpn (Bal-Series) vs ESPOIR RAIDEN (Raiden)
GTeaS (Fei-Yen Kn) vs peimero (Dordray)

hiroelza (Temjin) vs suma124u (Raiden)
Y shaku jpn (Bal-Series) vs GTeaS (Fei-Yen Kn)

suma124u (Raiden) vs GTeaS (Fei-Yen Kn)
Last edited by Sixfortyfive on 02 Aug 2009, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

anikingVOOT wrote:Basically, this time the out of japan players have match against each other first and winner of out of japan players will be advanced to final best 16.
If this is the case next time, then the English player bracket should be held at a more convenient time. I think more people will participate, since they don't have to join at such an inconvenient time to only play a few rounds. The winner can join the rest of the tournament at the scheduled time.
Sixfortyfive wrote:Beat Menthol for the first time ever! I have a feeling that the stage and possible drowsiness on his part might have helped a little.
Good game!! Airport is actually one of my best stages. :shock:
MentholMoose
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

MentholMoose wrote:
anikingVOOT wrote:Basically, this time the out of japan players have match against each other first and winner of out of japan players will be advanced to final best 16.
If this is the case next time, then the English player bracket should be held at a more convenient time. I think more people will participate, since they don't have to join at such an inconvenient time to only play a few rounds. The winner can join the rest of the tournament at the scheduled time.
Then you have a possible problem where the winner of the foreigner bracket won't be able to make it to the finals. Making everyone play at the same time may result in fewer participants, but it reduces the chance of people disappearing halfway through the tournament.

And honestly, I'm not sure if the scheduled time was even a major factor in the low USA turnout (though it definitely was part of it). I think it was more of a lack of interest than anything else. I don't think anybody responded to our posts about the tournament at NeoGAF or SRK at all, even just to say "that's way too early."

Maybe if we could track down specific people on our friend lists and ask them personally, we might have better turnout. I did have a local friend who was interested in playing, but he wasn't feeling up to an 8AM match.
Sixfortyfive wrote:Beat Menthol for the first time ever! I have a feeling that the stage and possible drowsiness on his part might have helped a little.
Good game!! Airport is actually one of my best stages. :shock:
Airport is one of my least favorite stages! :lol: I hate the starting platforms! They're so awkward and I never know how I should open the match.

I just thought to myself "okay, Grys-Vok always stuffs anything I throw at him if he gets any distance on me, so maybe if I just stay in his face the whole damn time he won't have a chance to set-up." It worked okay!
mechazoidal

Post by mechazoidal »

Man, I hate 24-hour flus. Sounds like it was awesome, though!
Menthol posted about this tournament on Shoryuken and I posted about it on GAF. A handful of people on both forums play the game but I don't think anyone was willing to wake up in the twilight hours just to be stomped down in the first couple of rounds.
I posted about it over in the Something Awful thread, so we might see some take-up there.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

mechazoidal wrote:I posted about it over in the Something Awful thread, so we might see some take-up there.
These things have been monthly, not weekly, FYI.
friction

Post by friction »

Where can we find the replays?
Sixfortyfive wrote:Not many of the players seem to have uploaded their replays. Bolded matches are the ones I'm missing.

DUMuranus (Bal-Series) vs hiroelza (Temjin)
tatsuketekureeee (Apharmd B) vs tonosama123 (Apharmd B)
Wild Esoteric (Fei-Yen Kn) vs x396 jpn (Bal-Series)
suma124u (Raiden) vs moteen (Grys-Vok) - I *think* I have this one, but suma was the one who posted it, and he won the match.
YUMBO Y35 (Dordray) vs Y shaku jpn (Bal-Series)
ESPOIR RAIDEN (Raiden) vs shiningstone (Apharmd S)
kotatsuneko012 (Raiden) vs GTeaS (Fei-Yen Kn)
Schooly D (Cypher) vs peimero (Dordray)

hiroelza (Temjin) vs tatsuketekureeee (Apharmd B)
Wild Esoteric (Fei-Yen Kn) vs suma124u (Raiden)
Y shaku jpn (Bal-Series) vs ESPOIR RAIDEN (Raiden)
GTeaS (Fei-Yen Kn) vs peimero (Dordray)

hiroelza (Temjin) vs suma124u (Raiden)
Y shaku jpn (Bal-Series) vs GTeaS (Fei-Yen Kn)

suma124u (Raiden) vs GTeaS (Fei-Yen Kn)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Sixfortyfive wrote:Then you have a possible problem where the winner of the foreigner bracket won't be able to make it to the finals. Making everyone play at the same time may result in fewer participants, but it reduces the chance of people disappearing halfway through the tournament.
I think it's worth the risk of having one person not showing up for the real tournament. This risk is pretty low since the winner will probably be someone dedicated enough to show up for the real tournament.

With only four people including the ref showing up, the US bracket was just a waste of time, and I wonder if the organizers will even have another one. If the US bracket happens Saturday night, the turnout should be better, and the quality of play will be better. It can have it's own live stream, which might actually be viewed by people in the US (Japanese players can tune in, also).

The schedule for this tournament couldn't be worse for US players. For the west coast, it's too early to wake up and play some warm-up games beforehand, and too late to stay awake and be cognizant. For the east coast, it's still pretty early for most people, but it's late enough to conflict for anyone who attends church.
Sixfortyfive wrote:And honestly, I'm not sure if the scheduled time was even a major factor in the low USA turnout (though it definitely was part of it). I think it was more of a lack of interest than anything else.
It's a major problem for me, and I'm a dedicated player. Honestly I'm unsure if I will participate again if the schedule isn't modified. I think lack of interest was an issue, so the barriers to participation, such as the inconvenient time, should be reduced as much as possible.
Sixfortyfive wrote:Maybe if we could track down specific people on our friend lists and ask them personally, we might have better turnout.
This is a good idea.
friction wrote:Where can we find the replays?
They are on the leaderboard. You have to scroll through it to find the Gamertag. Not all of them have been uploaded.
MentholMoose
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

friction wrote:Where can we find the replays?
The replays are on the leaderboards. The replay is uploaded by the loser. Get it while it is still up!

I feel a bit disappointed that so many replays are missing :(
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

MentholMoose wrote:The schedule for this tournament couldn't be worse for US players.
I think a weekday would have been worse (e.g., Friday night). But other than that, yeah, not great for us. Although we only account for like 3% of the players, right?

I could have done it easily since I'm in Eastern Time. I'm rarely up by 8 AM on a Sunday, but it wouldn't be hard to be up by then if I needed to be. I'll definitely sign up next time if there's still a foreigner bracket (although the three of you that showed up this time beat me consistently).

Sixfortyfive, you didn't use Ajim for the tourney, did you? :lol:
feixaq

Post by feixaq »

i would've loved to participate as well, but too early on a sunday morning, and i've been slammed with work this past week. hope to be able to participate next time round...
CRAZYDAZED
Gamertag: Soak a toe

Post by CRAZYDAZED »

They have uploaded the videos of this tournament.

Here is a mylist of August 2's tournament for registered Nico users:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/13897685

Here is a list for those who has not registered Nico:

RNA SIDE
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

DNA SIDE
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I would like to thank whoever whose idea to upload both player's PoV, aniking!
Last edited by CRAZYDAZED on 03 Aug 2009, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Excellent, thanks for the links!
MentholMoose
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »