US Tournament -- Need Opinions!!

Tournament info goes here!!
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

US Tournament -- Need Opinions!!

Post by Schooly D »

So, aniking talked to the King of VOOT in Japan, and he agreed to let the US have a tournament from which he'd accept the winner into the Best 16 or Best 8 of the Japanese tournament (the next one is scheduled for the first Saturday of next month, October 3). That way only one person has to wake up at 6 in the morning to get beaten in VOOT.

So, the running and management of the US tournament is pretty much up to us. Please reply to this thread with your opinions on:

- What time of day should our tournament be?
- What day of the week should it be?
- Should we stop before the final match and have the two finalists play the morning of the Japanese tournament? This way there'd be less chance of the US representative not showing up, but it means we'd have to make two people wake up really early.

Here are my opinions:

- 9 Eastern
- Friday, the night before the Japanese tournament
- Send 2 players

Post thoughts!
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Re: US Tournament -- Need Opinions!!

Post by shamanic_beat »

You might wanna use this for easy scheduling purposes: http://www.doodle.com/
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

Friday at 9 seems good. Players that wouldn't normally be able to join now have time to participate. I for one look foward to this. One question, will we be able to switch our "hyper fighting robots of doom" from round to round or can only choose one "hyper fighting robot of doom" per tournament?
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

neo helbeast wrote:Friday at 9 seems good. Players that wouldn't normally be able to join now have time to participate. I for one look foward to this. One question, will we be able to switch our "hyper fighting robots of doom" from round to round or can only choose one "hyper fighting robot of doom" per tournament?
One per tournament, same as the Japanese rules.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

^ Yeah, rules should be the same as the JP players.

Scheduling isn't a problem for me as long as it's announced at least a few days in advance. Whatever's fine with you guys.
khl

Post by khl »

Personally, a weekend morning would work best for me, though that will be difficult with them moving theirs to Saturday. Some of us west coasters may have to pass for a 9PM eastern weekday start time - I'd still be on my way home from work then. Stupid time zones.

Would prefer to send 2 players, just in case.
GT: lnbot
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

http://www.doodle.com/7h34wrdiktg2p2pv

Made a little schedule based on the replies provided, and it looks like the tournament will be one hell of a nightmare to set up...
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

shamanic_beat wrote:http://www.doodle.com/7h34wrdiktg2p2pv

Made a little schedule based on the replies provided, and it looks like the tournament will be one hell of a nightmare to set up...
At least it's better than 5AM PST. Unfortunately it is impossible to accommodate everyone, so it's best not to worry about it too much.

6PM PST on a Friday is usually fine for me, but other weekdays it will be tight (7PM PST is better). Anytime weekends is fine as long as there is some warning.
MentholMoose
sandsfel

Post by sandsfel »

Hi guys, I just watched the Japanese tournament and it was exciting to watch. I really think we should do something like this in here. I want to volunteer myself to be the host if you guys let me. I would do the party invites, watch matches and tally the result. If all go well, we may be able to do the tournament in one night (1-2 hours?) depending on how many participants. What do you guys say? I’m thinking Sunday night @ 9PM Eastern time. Is Sept 27 good? Like Schooly suggested, we send the top 2 players to Japanese tournament on October 3.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Well, I've got no problem with you running things. I guess the Sunday prior to the Japanese tournament would work. 9PM Eastern sounds like it should accommodate everyone. Same as the Japanese tournament, I think the bracket should be set up randomly. I don't think streaming matches will be necessary since the only people who care will probably be in the party watching. :mrgreen:

For tournament managing, do we have any bracket software for a website (like this: http://cgi32.plala.or.jp/putty/voot360/op.cgi)?

We should probably hurry up and start advertising.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Schooly D wrote:For tournament managing, do we have any bracket software for a website (like this: http://cgi32.plala.or.jp/putty/voot360/op.cgi)?
This one seems to work: http://www.bracketmaker.com/
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

If I have a week's notice, I can advertise it on gamefaqs and shoryuken.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Schooly D wrote:(the next one is scheduled for the first Saturday of next month, October 3)
No can do. That's the Chicago shmup meet weekend. :(

...not that I would have stood a chance anyway. Best case scenario, I fluke my way to the Japanese bracket and get utterly humiliated. Still, would have been fun to try.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

This tournament nee ds something to differentiate it from the Japanese tourneys so I suggest a prize, perhaps a 1600 point card (so virtual-on junkies can play something besides Virtual-on, I'm looking at you Menthol) or something along those lines. Also if two will be sent to the October tourney one of the players should be a wildcard that tourney particapents decide on. I going to post that there is a tourney on the Xbox.com forums and see if we can get more than ten people to show up, however I get the feeling that I'll get a bunch of people who'll get creamed and the first round and call you guys cheaters :? :3 Opinions?
sandsfel

Post by sandsfel »

Just throw in something quick here... may be I could post the pre-game bracket and result right here in the forum, something like this:
Last edited by sandsfel on 09 Sep 2009, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

sandsfel wrote:Just throw in something quick here... may be I could post the pre-game bracket and result right here in the forum, something like this:
http://pigstacker.weebly.com/uploads/2/ ... 496448.jpg
I like it!
MentholMoose
sandsfel

Post by sandsfel »

Just updated the image with a bigger font :)
sandsfel

Post by sandsfel »

Hi guys, I have few ideas here…

Is it good if we can create a new Tournament forum? And create a new topic for each tournament containing info on contestants, bracket, results etc. I’m hoping we could make this a monthly event :D

Also if we are going to advertise, for those non-Oratan members, should I create a Gmail account for registration?

Here are some ideas on the process:
  • Contestant registers with his Xbox Live Gamertag and his VR of choice.
  • I will then send confirmation e-mail with tournament info and rules, plus asking the contestant to send me friend request on Xbox Live before Sept 27.
  • I will update the tournament forum with contestant info.
  • Registration deadline is Sept 25 Friday night.
  • On Sept 26, I will randomly pair up contestants and post the bracket in the forum. (What if there is odd number of contestants?)
  • Tournament will start on Sunday Sept 27 at 9PM Eastern time. I will be online earlier that night and start sending party invites if contestants are online at that time.
  • Up to 3 pairs will enter the party player match lobby.
  • However only 1 match will be playing at a given time and I will be the observer to confirm the result.
  • When the match is finished, both contestants will leave the lobby.
  • The winner will stay online for the next invitation from me.
  • I will ask the losing contestant to post the game replay to the leaderboard. If we all do that then we should have all replays from this tournament :P
  • I will update the bracket online in this forum to keep everyone updated.
  • By the mean time, I will send party invitation to the next pair and next match will start and so on so on…
A winner will be declared at the end of the tournament plus the winner will have the bragging rights of being the BEST VOOT player on this side of the shore! Of course, the top two players will be representing us to compete in the Japanese tournament on Oct 3 :D

Basic rules are:
  • No VR switching throughout the tournament.
  • Game time is 80 sec, two rounds, and minimum 1 observer (me), and random stage.
MentholMoose, is it ok if you can send an e-mail notification to all Oratan members about this tournament so that may be we could get more contestants?
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

sandsfel wrote:Hi guys, I have few ideas here…

Is it good if we can create a new Tournament forum? And create a new topic for each tournament containing info on contestants, bracket, results etc. I’m hoping we could make this a monthly event :D

Also if we are going to advertise, for those non-Oratan members, should I create a Gmail account for registration?

Here are some ideas on the process:
  • Contestant registers with his Xbox Live Gamertag and his VR of choice.
  • I will then send confirmation e-mail with tournament info and rules, plus asking the contestant to send me friend request on Xbox Live before Sept 27.
  • I will update the tournament forum with contestant info.
  • Registration deadline is Sept 25 Friday night.
  • On Sept 26, I will randomly pair up contestants and post the bracket in the forum. (What if there is odd number of contestants?)
  • Tournament will start on Sunday Sept 27 at 9PM Eastern time. I will be online earlier that night and start sending party invites if contestants are online at that time.
  • Up to 3 pairs will enter the party player match lobby.
  • However only 1 match will be playing at a given time and I will be the observer to confirm the result.
  • When the match is finished, both contestants will leave the lobby.
  • The winner will stay online for the next invitation from me.
  • I will ask the losing contestant to post the game replay to the leaderboard. If we all do that then we should have all replays from this tournament :P
  • I will update the bracket online in this forum to keep everyone updated.
  • By the mean time, I will send party invitation to the next pair and next match will start and so on so on…
A winner will be declared at the end of the tournament plus the winner will have the bragging rights of being the BEST VOOT player on this side of the shore! Of course, the top two players will be representing us to compete in the Japanese tournament on Oct 3 :D

Basic rules are:
  • No VR switching throughout the tournament.
  • Game time is 80 sec, two rounds, and minimum 1 observer (me), and random stage.
MentholMoose, is it ok if you can send an e-mail notification to all Oratan members about this tournament so that may be we could get more contestants?
In the event of an odd number of people, randomly give someone a Bye round.

Depending on how many people we get, we may want to see about having a "cameraman" to spectate matches and stream them over a site like ustream or justintv. Someone with video-capture capability, obviously.

I think having only the two players who are about to play be in the party would be a wise decision. That way we avoid observer settings problems.

I'm a little confused about who we're sending to the Japanese tournament. I was under the impression that the Japanese tournament was going to accept one of us into the round of 16. We would have the tournament and stop at the finals (which would be played the morning of the Japanese tournament to see who gets to compete).

Of course, I like the idea of letting the whole tournament play out on the 27th and sending two people anyway. But it wouldn't be two people into the round of 16, they'd have to go in before. You should talk to anikingVOOT about this, since he's the one who is talking with the Japanese tournament staff about our situation.
anikingVOOT
Gamertag: anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

Schooly D wrote:I'm a little confused about who we're sending to the Japanese tournament. I was under the impression that the Japanese tournament was going to accept one of us into the round of 16. We would have the tournament and stop at the finals (which would be played the morning of the Japanese tournament to see who gets to compete).

Of course, I like the idea of letting the whole tournament play out on the 27th and sending two people anyway. But it wouldn't be two people into the round of 16, they'd have to go in before. You should talk to anikingVOOT about this, since he's the one who is talking with the Japanese tournament staff about our situation.
The Out Of Japan player's blacket is set as same as one of the Japanese blacket, so there is no ways to send somebody into other blacket... so you have to decide 1 person for best16 as a best player from "Out Of Japan".

I suggested schooly about getting best 2 players for the day, because
if the winner, he or she overslept or whatever happens, there is nobody form Out Of Japan players!!
This would be happning. And I just dont wanna see that.
I feel sorry that one of them will wake up early and have just single match and go back to sleep...
But if I were one, I will say "I will beat him and advance to best 16, so no problem"
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.