VOOT Money Match in Chicago? Phantom, Menthol, aniking READ!

Tournament info goes here!!
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

VOOT Money Match in Chicago? Phantom, Menthol, aniking READ!

Post by Schooly D »

So, a while ago Sixfortyfive posted about a possible VOOT tournament happening at Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 7 in Chicaco the last weekend in May. Thread here: http://www.oratan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=369

Now, I think it's pretty much impossible to find enough participants to have an actual tournament. But, if we could get a few players, we might be able to do something interesting.

I saw this video, a $15,000 money match in MvC2 at some fighting game tournament recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVTdAOb54xI

I'm wondering if the tournament would host a money match between the few VOOT players who could get out there. Now obviously none of us have $15,000 available to wager. But, if someone could afford to fly to Chicago in the first place, maybe a buy-in of $200 isn't unreasonable.

Just as a place to start from, in my ideal situation I think we'd have myself, PhantomPhoton, MentholMoose (we'd have to get him playing again), and THE anikingVOOT in Chicago for a four-person money match. I think we could start off with a round-robin of X rounds, then a playoff between the top two finishers in the round-robin. $200 buy-in = $800 for the winner ($600 net).

None of this is in any way final obviously. I don't even know if anyone I listed could make it, or how much money they'd be willing to wager, or even if the tournament would be okay with it. Still, I think it's a fun idea, and a way to have something interesting at the fighting game tournament without needing a bunch of participants. Aside from the money match, if others from the forum/XBLA could make it, it could be a nice IRL VOOT gathering.

Sixfortyfive probably doesn't come here anymore, so I'll talk to him about it. Post thoughts plz.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Re: VOOT Money Match in Chicago? Phantom, Menthol, aniking R

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I'm not good enough to participate, but I'd most likely show up. Chicago isn't that far for me.
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

That would just be a dream come true for me. Obviously, a number of things would have to happen in order for this to be possible:

1. We would all have to be available during the specified time period in terms of work, life, etc.
2. We would all have to be willing to fly (or drive?) down to Chicago...yikes (approximately 700 miles from me, but probably much worse for Menthol).
3. We would all have to be willing to buy in (if I'm going to make the trip, of course I'd buy in, but I don't know what everyone else's situation is).
4. The tournament organizers would have to be OK with that (which we don't know yet).

Given all this uncertainty, I think it's safe to say that none of us can commit just yet. Furthermore, I just don't think that the reward would justify the expense. I mean, you have the buy-in, but then you're talking travel, lodging, dining, etc. I have the money, but I don't think it would take long for me to find a more productive use for it. (I might as well just mail a check to Aniking and call it a day! :lol:)

I'm going to wait for a definite "yes" or "no" from the organizers, as well as the rest of you, before I even give this thing another thought. I don't want to disappoint you, Schooly, I really don't, but what you're asking here may be a bit unreasonable. One sure can dream, though. :|

I'll still keep my fingers crossed. I'm not saying "no," I'm just saying "probably not." Which I'm guessing is what Menthol and Aniking would say, too.

If there was some kind of television coverage though, that would definitely tip the scales in favor of "yes." :mrgreen:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

PhantomPhotonX wrote:Given all this uncertainty, I think it's safe to say that none of us can commit just yet.
Uh. Well, yeah. That was the point of the post. I outlined all the difficulties/hurdles and asked for feedback. I didn't say "reply with your flight number and hotel room." I think you're about as committed as I am: if something means it can't happen (no one else wants to, the tournament says no, etc), it won't.

The point about making the reward outweigh the cost of getting there is a good one.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

I was just watching the MvC2 matches, and can someone say "overexcitement"? Good Lord. Although that is a lot of money on the line.

Now I'm just guessing here, but you probably won't have anywhere near that energy level for a VOOT match! :lol: Can you imagine what the commentators would say?

"The big robot...is beating down the small robot, OMG he just shot a laser. This is...so confusing."

If this were to happen, we should have people from our very own VOOT community commentate! And of course, post the video on Youtube for all to see.
- Confucius
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Ahaha. While I'm dead set on actually making it out to this tournament (and others) this year, I don't think I'll have that kind of money to throw around on a single game. I'm actually looking for employment right now. A VOOT high-roller event would def be awesome though. And if any of you guys are actually into the fighting game scene and heading to Final Round, Power-Up, or UFGT7, drop me a line and I'll make sure to bring my setup for casuals at least.

Haven't been around here lately 'cause my Gold sub expired and I'm in no rush to renew it because of crappy internet service here as of late. :( I ended up canceling my Force order 'cause NCSX wasn't going to be able to ship it out before my sub was almost up anyway.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

I would be willing to commentate, haha. I'll even pull a fake news coverage thing for the web if you want, though I bet you were just joking.
ImageImage
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

The idea is cool but the timing won't work for me. I'll have a newborn to care for at that time so travel is pretty much out of the question.
MentholMoose
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

MasterFygar wrote:I would be willing to commentate, haha. I'll even pull a fake news coverage thing for the web if you want, though I bet you were just joking.
Actually, I was being serious...if you're going to make this a big deal and get people to watch, you would need someone to explain what is going on. Otherwise, you'd end up with either no audience or a bunch of people with blank stares on their faces. Having an audience is part of the incentive for going in the first place. Without one, we might as well just have an online match. :roll:
MentholMoose wrote:I'll have a newborn to care for at that time so travel is pretty much out of the question.
Congratulations! I guess we'll never see you online again after that, because you're already a rare sight as it is. :)
- Confucius
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

PhantomPhotonX wrote:
MasterFygar wrote:I would be willing to commentate, haha. I'll even pull a fake news coverage thing for the web if you want, though I bet you were just joking.
Actually, I was being serious...if you're going to make this a big deal and get people to watch, you would need someone to explain what is going on. Otherwise, you'd end up with either no audience or a bunch of people with blank stares on their faces. Having an audience is part of the incentive for going in the first place. Without one, we might as well just have an online match. :roll:
MentholMoose wrote:I'll have a newborn to care for at that time so travel is pretty much out of the question.
Congratulations! I guess we'll never see you online again after that, because you're already a rare sight as it is. :)
Yeah Menthol, Congrats! :D And if this ever happens I seriously would be pleased to come out and be the announcer for it.
ImageImage
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

PhantomPhotonX wrote:Congratulations!
Thanks!!
PhantomPhotonX wrote:I guess we'll never see you online again after that, because you're already a rare sight as it is. :)
Hopefully I'll still be around.
MentholMoose