seeding & fundrasier

Tournament info goes here!!
Some_Nob
Gamertag: Some Nob 360

seeding & fundrasier

Post by Some_Nob »

Well here's an idea- rather than the usual elimination/double elim - tourney, we work out a way to rank everyone to attain seeding, then we people can do offical matches 1v1 to move up/down in without having to have everyone on same time.

initial seeding (what im proposing) is say we all do round robin (or random pick 10- depends on how many sign up) and do best of 5. And each round is worth one point. Once complete a person could do the regular 2 round match and need to win in order to move up. Somethimg like that. Future entries have to play a certain number of 5 round matches to gain initial placing and such...

on top of that we do a donation to enter and funds go to japan, im thinking even make it just donate to local charity so to speak sending ina proof of donation perhaps?

Anyways just an idea looking for more input.
~~~~~~~~~~
Don't argue with an idiot! They will lower your intelligence to their level, then beat you with experience.

GT:Some_Nob 360
VR:Fei Yen Kn
VO4: TBA

Australia, Brisbane - a founding member of BrisVOC - for VOOM(OMG).
~~~~~~~~~~
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Re: seeding & fundrasier

Post by neo helbeast »

It could work, but it should be mentioned that this has been tried before and that only 3 people signed up.
Some_Nob
Gamertag: Some Nob 360

Post by Some_Nob »

Well that is a bit disappointing to hear,

though other thoughts I had on this was that firstly the vets of the board would be able to already pre-seed some of there own, (Though they may have to fight it out initial seeding between themselves), but rest - more common ones could do a round robin format.

The upside of this vs a tourney is we dont all have to be on in the same period, and can do matches whenever similar seeded people are on.

Also people could hold different seeds for different VRs, though some of you.. (cough cough not saying any names like schooly D - and several others out there im sure ) probably don't need to even pick VRs.

Perhaps in initial seeding of the lower rank, the upper vets could play as random to give the lower rank people a chance to score a round or too..

Then again, if there is very little interest - this is all just a load of pointless ascii characters and you have all wasted 2 mins of your time reading this ^_^.
~~~~~~~~~~
Don't argue with an idiot! They will lower your intelligence to their level, then beat you with experience.

GT:Some_Nob 360
VR:Fei Yen Kn
VO4: TBA

Australia, Brisbane - a founding member of BrisVOC - for VOOM(OMG).
~~~~~~~~~~
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

I tried running a VOOT ladder. Wins, losses, points, and you could play whomever you wanted whenever you wanted. Didn't work. I was the only one who ever bothered to play games. People signed up but just never bothered to play. Complete lack of interest.

Back when we were having monthly tournaments I tried using the results of those tournaments as a kind of seeding system. That stopped pretty quickly when people just stopped signing up by the 4th tournament.

It's a hard pill to swallow but at some point everyone who tries to organize competitive events here realizes the same thing: the US VOOT community has zero interest in competition. We have a good number of people floating around the forum but the vast majority of them (a) think they suck and don't want to get beat up on, (b) only care about VO for things like the mechs and peripherals (cabinets, twin sticks, etc), or (c) some combination of both.

The only way I could get people to consider signing up for a tournament is by including goddamn Hori Twin Sticks as a DOOR PRIZE. And even that's in limbo (we still need to find a way to acquire the sticks).
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Schooly D wrote:We have a good number of people floating around the forum but the vast majority of them (a) think they suck and don't want to get beat up on, (b) only care about VO for things like the mechs and peripherals (cabinets, twin sticks, etc), or (c) some combination of both.
(d) Many aren't from the US? At least for me the amount of lag makes me not want to try learn to play competitively, there isn't much point as lagless play and playing with the usual lag (between grey and one green) differ a lot. Not enough people for european comps and I can't take international competitions very seriously.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation