E3 2012

Discuss news about video games and the game industry.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

E3 2012

Post by MentholMoose »

Anyone excited about anything announced at E3?
MentholMoose
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Re: E3 2012

Post by neo helbeast »

Rayman Legends looks awesome.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I was kind of disappointed with the hardware announcements (or lack thereof). There was nothing about new consoles from Microsoft or Sony, and I am underwhelmed by the Wii U and the similar looking SmartGlass. I get the dual screen concept for portables (like the DS) since there is a lack of screen real estate, so having HUD, map, etc., on the second screen avoids clutter on the primary screen. Plus, on a portable, both screens are in your field of vision, so you can effectively use both simultaneously. But in the living room, home theater, etc., I just don't see it (at least not yet). The few demos aren't particularly interesting to me and seem like a scaled up Dreamcast VMU. At least with SmartGlass on a smart phone, you carry it around anyway so you can play the mini or companion games when you're not home (kind of like carrying around a VMU to play the mini games), but I can't imagine carrying around a Wii U tablet controller.
MentholMoose
Siren

Post by Siren »

http://www.destructoid.com/e-x-troopers ... 0454.phtml

This 3DS and PS3 title has promise for them to do something neat with that jet pack. My only concern is that the enemies in the trailer seem to be as passive as a gunshot-wounded Pomeranian puppy with AIDS. ****.

But can I get an a-men on that **** cell shading??! Holy crap! This is the kinda game I hoped people would make in the future when I was a kid playing my Genesis- a playable action anime show. I gotta admit, guys. I'm pretty pumped about this one. There seems to be some enemy-to-air launching/juggling, too. This could very well be what gamers with Japanese tastes have been waiting for since Bayonetta.

Thoughts?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Wow that does look awesome. Any chance of a US release or do I need to preorder the Japanese version?
MentholMoose
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

Only thing at E3 that excites me anymore is Darksiders 2 and Dead or Alive 5, which I believe NeoKen is getting. Well those and of course Doom 3: BFG.
Siren

Post by Siren »

My guess is that it would be a good idea to preorder the NTSC-J version along with getting a Japanese 3DS (Though I would advise against the upcoming 3DS-i, or whatever it's called, because the bigger the screen, the more jagged the edges of models are.) Nintendo seems to have little faith in American gamers desiring to play import titles, when the ironic reality is nothing could be farther from the truth. But this nonetheless solidifies my belief that all the upcoming games worth getting for this handheld will most likely be of Japanese exclusivity. Ebay is a great place to get cheap imports, so the "well where am I going to get games, then?" excuse just doesn't fly.

You guys ever hear of Hawken? It's the upcoming spiritual successor to Steel Battalion. Comes with big ass controller and everything, and will be for PC, exclusively.

http://www.hawkengame.com/

Other than that, I've not seen anything else that looks impressive in the slightest. Not that I've been paying much attention, anyway. E3 has been a self-congradulatory industry wank fest for half a decade now, with few innovative titles being showcased. Even Tokyo Games Show has largely become a second E3 under the guise of that warm and familiar foreign market that we could traditionally depend on to provide for us a haven among mediocrity and shovelware.