JAWS 3DS

Discuss news about video games and the game industry.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

JAWS 3DS

Post by neo helbeast »

The unlikeliest of gaming franchises makes a comeback later this year.
This fall's Jaws: Ultimate Predator will be released on the Wii and 3DS and, in it, you'll play as a shark. No surprise there. That's how it worked in 2007's Jaws Unleashed.

As the shark you chew boats and people. You'll rip off limbs, but only on the 3DS version of Ultimate Predator. Like the Unleashed games, the 3DS version of the new Jaws is expected to get an M rating. The Wii version, which won't have the limb removal, according to a representative from the game's publisher, Majesco, who showed me the 3DS build at E3, will be rated T.

M-rated portable games are still a relative rarity. But what's more striking here is that the 3DS is seen as a platform that is more suited to an edgy experience for the Wii. That T-rating for Jaws on the Wii conforms to the predominant view of the Wii, fairly or not, as a console for kids and other people who are gentle at heart. It is a welcome, minor surprise that the same company that appears to hold that view for the Wii views its 3DS customers as more accepting of something with sharper teeth.

(I didn't get a long look at the 3DS game, so there's not much I can describe. You're the shark. You swim around attacking boats and eating divers for health. It could be fun; it's certainly not a common kind of game. And, for the record, there are no planned crossovers between the wretched 1983 movie Jaws 3-D and Jaws 3DS. I told the Majesco guy that the game stands a good chance of being the superior Jaws 3D product!)
Kotaku got the year wrong, Unleashed came out in '06. The same week as Gears of War.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: JAWS 3DS

Post by MentholMoose »

Interesting! I'm not really into portable gaming, though. The last portable I had was a Game Boy Advance!
MentholMoose
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

The 3DS is pretty chill but, as a first adopter let me give you a warning the battery life is really really short. I'd say wait for the next revision.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

I enjoy the DS, mostly due to its unique variety in software. I'm hoping the 3DS will be able to repeat that.

Right now, the 3DS cost way too much for a portable, as well as poor battery life.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken