EVO 2011

Discuss news about video games and the game industry.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

EVO 2011

Post by MentholMoose »

Evo Championship Series

Anyone going? Anyone watching the live streams?
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: EVO 2011

Post by MentholMoose »

Here's a documentary about one of the competitors:
FOCUS: A Documentary

They now have a link to the complete documentary on G4.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I checked out the live stream a bit. Too bad VOOT is not popular in the US like these other fighting games.
MentholMoose
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Post by NGEFreek »

Watched the EVO SSF4AE for about two hours, got sick of all the Yun/Yangs, then saw a BlazBlue player destroy people with a Guile that was pretty awesome, I forget his name but I quite enjoyed seeing that match and my heart goes out to all the Dan players.

Watched two whole MK9 matches and turned that stream off, I don't get it.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Phantom could've been in the MK one.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I really hope that Sega releases a new VO 1v1 game... for both home and arcade. It would be so nice if there could be a decently large competitive community for VO (in the USA of course), but I think that would require a new game... VOOT is awesome but it is really old.
MentholMoose
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

shamanic_beat wrote:Phantom could've been in the MK one.
I didn't realize any MK game was played competitively. :shock: I thought the whole series was considered a joke by serious fighting game players.
MentholMoose wrote:I really hope that Sega releases a new VO 1v1 game... for both home and arcade. It would be so nice if there could be a decently large competitive community for VO (in the USA of course), but I think that would require a new game... VOOT is awesome but it is really old.
Being old by itself isn't a problem; they still play Super Street Fighter II Turbo (1994!) at Super Battle Opera. But yeah, only a new VO game would have the potential to garner enough interest.

As awesome as it would be, I think it'd be very hard to get a competitive US VO fanbase. Arcades are becoming a thing of the past, and it'd probably be a big risk for an arcade operator to invest in an expensive, specialized cabinet for a quirky, technical game with low name recognition.* :| I'm certainly not part of the fighting game scene, but as I understand it, high-level play in any fighting game requires a healthy arcade scene since playing online always introduces some lag, even if it's just a couple frames.

* I wonder if VOOT would've had a bigger US fanbase on XBL if it had been widely available in US arcades back in the day...
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

DeepInTheHops wrote:Arcades are becoming a thing of the past, and it'd probably be a big risk for an arcade operator to invest in an expensive, specialized cabinet for a quirky, technical game with low name recognition.
I agree, it's being a big investment. I remember when VO4 came out, we talked about it with the SHGL owner, and it was just impossible for them to get it. Granted, VO4 was an even bigger investment than a 1v1 VO game would be... but, SHGL didn't even have an VOOT cabinet, they had an OMG cabinet converted with VER.5.4.

What I'd like to see with a new arcade release is a conversion kit for standard sit-down cabinets (like the Versus City kits they had for OMG and VOOT VER.5.2). A huge deluxe cabinet is a really tough sell (basically impossible in the US), but a kit might be doable. The main cost would be the ROMs and control panels. IIRC, the kit for converting two VER.5.66 cabs into one VO4 setup was something like ¥120,000... that kit included FOUR Hikaru boards with VO4 ROMs, VO4 control panels, and various parts for the deluxe cabinets (seat back, marquee, etc.).

A similar kit for a 1v1 game with a standard arcade cabinet could be much, much cheaper. Yeah you don't get the "full" experience, but who cares? The point is to get people to play the game. Imagine if Sega required Twin Sticks for VOOT or VO4 360... the sales would be reduced by 90% or more, with only the most hard core fanatics buying it. Sega managed to seriously damage the VO franchise so I think a kit is almost necessary... even in Japan. At this point, I don't think a lot of arcades will buy a deluxe VO cabinet.
MentholMoose
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Famous Street Fighter player commentating fights and cosplaying as Xiaoyu and C-Viper at evo

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I watched the Tekken 6 finals... VOOT is much more interesting to me.
MentholMoose
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

BBCS2 finals were really entertaining, will be playing that a bit more for a while :d
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Sonic Advent

Post by S-Advent »

shamanic_beat wrote: Image
Hummana hummana... I think I'm in love again... :oops:
On topic though... I really don't know EVO so I'm kinda lost here except for the fact that there are multiple video game tournaments going on... :?:
I'm now VO:F ready, bring it on!
VR: All of them.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

S-Advent wrote:Hummana hummana... I think I'm in love again... :oops:
Hmm, you might want to do some research...
On topic though... I really don't know EVO so I'm kinda lost here except for the fact that there are multiple video game tournaments going on... :?:
That is the gist of it. It's one of the premier fighting game tournaments.
MentholMoose
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive

Post by S-Advent »

MentholMoose wrote:
:shock: ... I've done my research and now I'm dead again (Dame cosplay for being so confusing...). :cry:
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: chunkypuff 3 1

Post by chunkypuff31 »

MentholMoose wrote:A similar kit for a 1v1 game with a standard arcade cabinet could be much, much cheaper. Yeah you don't get the "full" experience, but who cares? The point is to get people to play the game. Imagine if Sega required Twin Sticks for VOOT or VO4 360... the sales would be reduced by 90% or more, with only the most hard core fanatics buying it. Sega managed to seriously damage the VO franchise so I think a kit is almost necessary... even in Japan. At this point, I don't think a lot of arcades will buy a deluxe VO cabinet.
An arcade VO with standard controls (single joystick w/ buttons to the side), you mean? It sounds like that might be a good idea on paper, but I'm thinking that might do more harm than good to the community at large. Eliminating Twinsticks would pretty much alienate the majority of the existing fanbase, meaning that the success of the game would entirely depend on how successfully Sega trys to appeal to new players. Basically, unless they can make the game super, super awesome that gets everyone and their mom to start playing, they would pretty much be digging a grave for the Virtual-On series as a whole.
S-Advent wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
:shock: ... I've done my research and now I'm dead again (Dame cosplay for being so confusing...). :cry:
Examples of unintended hilarity, generously provided by Vash:
"With Geico, you can save thousands of money!"
"I am the only one playing with myself at night."
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

S-Advent wrote: :shock: ... I've done my research and now I'm dead again (Dame cosplay for being so confusing...). :cry:
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

chunkypuff31 wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:A similar kit for a 1v1 game with a standard arcade cabinet could be much, much cheaper. Yeah you don't get the "full" experience, but who cares? The point is to get people to play the game. Imagine if Sega required Twin Sticks for VOOT or VO4 360... the sales would be reduced by 90% or more, with only the most hard core fanatics buying it. Sega managed to seriously damage the VO franchise so I think a kit is almost necessary... even in Japan. At this point, I don't think a lot of arcades will buy a deluxe VO cabinet.
An arcade VO with standard controls (single joystick w/ buttons to the side), you mean? It sounds like that might be a good idea on paper, but I'm thinking that might do more harm than good to the community at large. Eliminating Twinsticks would pretty much alienate the majority of the existing fanbase, meaning that the success of the game would entirely depend on how successfully Sega trys to appeal to new players. Basically, unless they can make the game super, super awesome that gets everyone and their mom to start playing, they would pretty much be digging a grave for the Virtual-On series as a whole.
No, I still want Twin Sticks. I meant I'd like a "VO Next" (umm, VO 4 is already taken lol) kit like the OMG and VOOT "Versus City" kits... so real Twin Sticks but in a standard panel that fits in standard cabinets. Like this panel:
taromiko2003-d118645560-1.jpg
There are a lot of Japanese cabs that can use this panel, so I think it makes sense for Japan. These cabs aren't as popular in the US, but quite a few arcades do have them, and a kit is a small investment which helps keep costs down.
MentholMoose
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

I like how Menthol is knowledgeable enough to see through the trap.
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive

Post by S-Advent »

chunkypuff31 wrote:
S-Advent wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
neo helbeast wrote: Image
...You guys aren't really helping, I think I'll go cry myself to sleep (If I can cry)... :cry:
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »