MD/DC/VA MagFest - VO:OT & VO:F

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Heiligekuh

MD/DC/VA MagFest - VO:OT & VO:F

Post by Heiligekuh »

When VO:OT first launched for the 360, I modded my old Saturn Sticks thanks to the exceptional help and support of this forum. While I had some great XBL matches in the first months, those sticks have seen little use since.

I'd like to change that.

There's a great gaming con that happens around New Years in the DC area called MAGFest.
http://magfest.org/

It has a great BYOC area, with all kinds of epic setups. Every year there's a 4-8 player Steel Battalion LAN! Those mechs don't even dash!

It's a show full of players who love great games and intense competition. If there's another VO player in the area, I'd love to work together and bring a GREAT VO setup this year. It could be 360 based or DC, VOOT or Force. We have a few months, and I've got enough parts to build a few new sticks if necessary.

If anyone from oratan is local to the DC area, or just planning on attending MAGFEST, shout out!

--andrew
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: MD/DC/VA MagFest - VO:OT & VO:F

Post by MentholMoose »

Looks cool, hopefully some east coast players can join you!
MentholMoose
Nick The Newbie

Post by Nick The Newbie »

Hi guys! I'm Nick and I help out with MAGFest. I remember there was a thread on this forum when you guys were talking about coming to MAGFest a couple years back, so it's great to see you guys interested again. Let me know if you have any questions at all!
Heiligekuh

Post by Heiligekuh »

Thanks Nick. There's a few VA VO fan who posts here from time to time. I've brought my VOOT setup before, but single play is pointless at MAGfest.

Maybe we can pool some van money and cajole the VOOM cabinet up this year!

--andrew
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I might be interested this year. I should have went in 2011 but didn't, and this year I wanted to go but work got in the way.

I'm pretty terrible at VOOT these days, but it could be fun regardless. I wonder if Phantom would still be interested in going.

Big ass Hori twins sticks might be a challenge on public transportation though. :shock:
Heiligekuh

Post by Heiligekuh »

DeepInTheHops-

That's one of the reasons I'm trying to connect with other VO players before hand. Not only is the incentive for hauling twinsticks in low when there's no guarantee of other VO players, but we can also plan and help with transit/restoration/etc.

--andrew
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Okay, I got that time off work, so that's taken care of. Anybody else interested in going? Even if there's no VOOT to be played, I might go anyway. It looks like there's plenty to do and I want to go to one of these at least once just to see what it's like.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I'm registered and got my plane tickets, so I'll be there. My twin sticks just barely fit in my suitcase; not sure how safe they'd be in there, though. Too big for carry-on. :shock:
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

DeepInTheHops wrote:My twin sticks just barely fit in my suitcase; not sure how safe they'd be in there, though. Too big for carry-on. :shock:
It should be fine. I've transported my arcade Twin Sticks a few times without issue. A couple of those trips were without the HSS-0130 case, though (the first time was when I first bought them, while on a business trip to Japan).
MentholMoose
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I messaged Phantom on XBL and he said he's probably going. Playing against him without lag seems terrifying! :lol:
Heiligekuh

Post by Heiligekuh »

GReat to see such interest!

Is one of you SirMeeps on the MAGFest boards? He's stepped up to schedule a VOOT tourney at MAGFest, but is currently limited to the staff's DC copy with no sticks. <sad face> I'll bring my DC and link cable to help, but I'm not I'll have time to remod my 360 sticks to Universal.
http://magfest.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1732

I'll plan to bring my 360 and stick, at the very least. If people here would like to coordinate, that would be great. I'm local (Falls Church) and will be around through the very early days. You can get in touch with me here, @tieandjeans on Twitter, or andrew<nospace>carle at the Googlemails.

--andrew
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

VOOT tournament is 5:00 Thursday? Gah, my flight doesn't get in until about 6:00. :cry:

Let me know how things shake out. I have a Hori stick for the 360, and I have a Saturn stick with a TotalControl3 converter for DC. I doubt I'll have room in my suitcase for both. The Hori stick is higher quality and the 360 version is the superior port (version 5.66 instead of 5.45, and the HD update), so that'd be my preference, but beggars can't be choosers. The only downside is no local multiplayer, but it sounds like we'd go with the two console/two TV route on the DC anyway.

Phantom plays on a pad so I assume he doesn't care as much if it's DC or 360. Although even with a pad, the 360 version is better. I think a lot of people set up the bumpers for manual rotation.
Heiligekuh

Post by Heiligekuh »

I look at the tournament as a good opportunity to trade contact info with other VOOT players who will be there for the weekend. :)

If you bring your 360 sticks, we can try to set up a dedicated head2head VOOT station for the weekend. I can bring at least one 360, network hubs & cables and possibly 2 tv/monitors. With that setup, we can run whatever kind of events we want.

Do you have a ride sorted from the airport?

--andrew
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Yeah I'm taking the shuttle with some guys from Shmups Forum. Apparently the shmup selection won't be what it has been in previous years, but lagless VOOT would make that much less relevant. :)
Heiligekuh

Post by Heiligekuh »

Good to hear. I don't have two 360s, but I'll be sure to bring the full network setup and VOOT complement along on Wednesday or Thursday. Maybe I can stake out a good spot in the console room. :)

--andrew
FlyExponent
Gamertag: FlyExponent

Post by FlyExponent »

Man, it sucks that i can't go to this. :cry:

Quick question, though: If possible, would anyone be trying to record these VO matches? I'd really want to see these matches if at all possible.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Heiligekuh wrote:I don't have two 360s, but I'll be sure to bring the full network setup and VOOT complement along on Wednesday or Thursday.
I can bring my 360 if needed. Unlike the sticks, it'd surely fit in a carry on bag.
FlyExponent wrote:If possible, would anyone be trying to record these VO matches?
If we're using 360s, maybe we could save replays locally and upload them to the leaderboard and have somebody (neoken?) put them on YouTube.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

DeepInTheHops wrote:
FlyExponent wrote:If possible, would anyone be trying to record these VO matches?
If we're using 360s, maybe we could save replays locally and upload them to the leaderboard and have somebody (neoken?) put them on YouTube.
Sure, I can help record the footage. Just give me the names of the players and their VRs, and the tournament bracket.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Heiligekuh

Post by Heiligekuh »

DeepInTheHops wrote:
Heiligekuh wrote:I don't have two 360s, but I'll be sure to bring the full network setup and VOOT complement along on Wednesday or Thursday.
I can bring my 360 if needed. Unlike the sticks, it'd surely fit in a carry on bag.
If you can bring an extra 360 with VO:OT, then I think we can be sure of a h2h setup. And, yay for local match recording!
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Well, I have my 360 and twin sticks checked in at the desk. I saw some people playing the DC version throughout the night last night, but they all looked like they were playing for the first time.