Oratan.com online player roundup [discontinued 2019/10]

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Re: Xbox 360 online player roundup

Post by Zaarock »

neoKEN: I'll add or remove some of those new people depending on if they play for a while or not (some might quit in a few days after all)

I didn't originally intend to have players outside of the forum on the list but starting to add them now, since it'll be a lot more useful. Hopefully no-one minds the publicity..

Players now split by continent as well.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I second the idea of removing people if they don't actually play. Especially in this case, as it's just a list of players, so there's no harm done. It happens really often. It also annoys me a little when someone says they will play Force but never does, because we really need players and that game is more lenient towards beginners compared to VOOT.

Not to accuse anyone, and I forgive the ones who did this, but some people sent me a Friend request and I never saw them on any VO game, no matter how often I checked their profile or invited them into active sessions. That's why when it comes to VO, I usually do not accept a Friend request until I actually see them play the game. And I've removed a lot of people because they only played like once or twice, then never again. Although if they have a nice girl avatar then I keep them forever. :lol:
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Aniking is hosting a weekly VO-night again, so I added an approximate time to the activity calendar (Saturday 9PM-2AM PST, probably a little off).

Let's try and get more people online around that time!
speakxj7
Gamertag: speakxj7

Post by speakxj7 »

Pleased to see updates to the calendar (which prompted me to swing by and say hello~)

Still playing VOOT online but very impromptu. I'll do my best to try and stop in for the start of this sunday's session.

[Edit:] reminder, pm me if you want permission to add events to the calendar.
jamtero

Post by jamtero »

How have the VOOT nights been going? I've got a renewed interest and want to get my xbox gold going again. Also gonna mod another set of dc sticks!
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Small update for the last quarter of 2014 & cleaned up the thread a bit. I'll split North American players into subregions if I get bored some day.

Vector Strike 2 was awesome! great play and commentary by all.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

Probably a good idea to remove me since lately, I've been trying to master competitive Puyo Puyo online.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

neoKEN, where are you playing Puyo Puyo? I played that game a bunch against the pitiful AI back in the day, but I eventually gave up since you can only get so good playing that way and there was no online play. If there was online play back then I probably would have played the hell out of it. Kind of like another 90's Japanese 1v1 arcade game... 8-)

Anyway, I kind of gave up on VOOT since people rarely played anymore, but if people are still battling I will make more of an effort to be online more often, or at least check here to see when the action is going on. Even though I haven't played in forever, I still consider it my all-time favorite game.

EDIT: I should also add that the AI in Puyo Puyo 7 crushes me, so I'm sure that means I'm terrible compared to any competent human players
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Updated for Q2 2015. I haven't been online as much lately so it's likely that I missed some players. Feel free to post if you want to be added to the active players list, or removed from it. (I bet Schooly D is secretly playing somewhere)

VO Night is still going on saturday nights.

added:
a65Alexis
Palmpoa
red randsel
VarryoChoco
Exorcet

Post by Exorcet »

My interest to play is as strong ever, but I won't have internet starting tomorrow. I don't know when I'll get it back, but if I disappear for a while it's more likely that I can't get on XBL rather than I stopped playing.

By the way, good effort on keeping this list together
jamtero

Post by jamtero »

Just renewed my gold looking forward to catching some matches!
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Is VOOT dead? I haven't played in forever (I can only imagine how bad I am these days haha), but I'd kind of like to get back into it. I don't have a Gold account anymore though, and my only reason for getting one would be VOOT, so I don't want to pay for it if I can't realistically get any games in.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

It's about as alive as it has been for the last two years. You can definitely get matches in the weekends with other western players. And many of the japanese players are willing to play so you can fight random people on weekdays if you're online at japan times (morning in the US though? also the old regulars are scary good now..). VOTwinstick, VarryoChoco and others try to host the weekly VO night every saturday night usually. fighting other US players on weekends may be easier than it has been in a few years! because of the VO 20th anniversary there have been some activity spikes too

I didn't touch the game for a few months but will update this thread again if I manage to get online regularly for some time
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I used to mostly play Saturday and Sunday mornings since in my time zone (UTC-05:00) it was nighttime in Japan and there were a decent number of players online. If Japan is still going strong I should be able to do that again at least.

I typically didn't have have much luck playing with western players unless it was a prearranged time... maybe I just wasn't on at the right times.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Zaarock should probably update his player list for current players soon, especially since me, VOTwinstick, Varryochoco, and Zaarock have all been playing OMG since half a year ago, though we have not played at all recently. Maybe some others would like to join us.

What's this 20th anniversary thing, are there any upcoming special dates? Maybe we can plan a surprise for the Japanese players, and they will think some weird event is going on again. I haven't managed to grow horns yet, but I did find something else minor in VOOT.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Did a quick update for that, but I've probably missed any new players.
DeepInTheHops wrote:I typically didn't have have much luck playing with western players unless it was a prearranged time... maybe I just wasn't on at the right times.
I think the VO night on saturdays is usually at 3AM UTC? They also play VO4 sometimes, and some japanese players tend to show up for it too.
Porcupine wrote:What's this 20th anniversary thing, are there any upcoming special dates?
VO:OM seems to have been released december 1995 so it's coming up soon. I actually thought it was earlier since there was tournaments and such. there are arcade meetups and there's fan magazines and such still coming out to celebrate it.
SoulGuitarist

Post by SoulGuitarist »

Hi guys! You might not know me as SoulGuitarist, my main handle, but you probably remember me as Darkrai when I played VO on 360.

Well anyways, I'm getting a new Xbox on Saturday if anyone wants to play some games. Does region-swapping for accounts still work so I can pick up VOOM again?
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Sounds great, many of us have been playing regularly lately, so you will have a lot of people to play with. We are playing all three VO games.

Region-swapping still works, however after Microsoft points were phased out, you can no longer bring money with you to the new region. You will have to buy Japanese gift or point cards at the higher rate. Supposedly, when you region-migrate your account, you will also forfeit all the old currency in your account, so make sure to spend it all. Although when I actually tried this, I didn't lose my original currency, but it might depend on the laws of the country.
SoulGuitarist

Post by SoulGuitarist »

Excellent. I have a two day trial code laying around so I'll use that and we can all play. Going to take awhile to get a 12 month card. orz

If I already purchased OMG when I first swapped regions, do I have to re-purchase when I swap to Japan a second time or will i be in my download list when I switch to the Japanese store?
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

VOOM will appear in your download list no matter what region you are in, but trying to download it while you are in the wrong region will give an error. You must region-swap back to Japan before downloading it.

Don't forget to do a License Transfer on your account, to your new console, as soon as you get your new console. After that, download all your US region games (such as VOOT I'm guessing), then region migrate to Japan to download VOOM. You'll be stuck in Japan for three months afterwards. Activate your gold trial last, in case something doesn't work.