Japan Online Tournament/Meeting Announced... On Short Notice

Tournament info goes here!!
VOTwinstick
Gamertag: VOTwinstick

Japan Online Tournament/Meeting Announced... On Short Notice

Post by VOTwinstick »

@igusachan on twitter https://twitter.com/igusachan has announced a Online Virtual-On Tournament/Meetings

Details to date
Date of tourney/meeting: 11/21
Start Time: 24:00 (yes... midnight Japan)
All invited to participate!
High Definition broadcast of the tournament/meetings will be On Niconico
There is (as described in tweet) Scheduled and Unscheduled meetings

That's all we got so far folks. More questions than answers. Like which games? Where's the sign up? And more! But better than that... is telling us HD broadcast Niconico? That costs money friends. So I think there might be a little more to the show than just some guy having a tournament (he had his annual tourney last month). Scheduled or not. At minimum he has backers. Official Somebody or other? Hmmm
Kinda makes you think... 11/21 is almost to the day, one month before the VO 20th Memorial date

Will Post when I hear more
@VOTwinstick on Twitter / VOTwinstick on Twitch & Niconico / VO-MC / Temjin from Green Hills to Jupiter!
VOTwinstick

Re: Japan Online Tournament/Meeting Announced... On Short No

Post by VOTwinstick »

Well... what do you know!

https://twitter.com/igusachan Just posted! And quote:
"11 / 21 box started accepting entries of the tann大! Nico [24-hour continuous SEGA games live] that is meeting broadcast in a special program.
What is my imagination looks so terrible"(Bing Translated)
http://voot360.blog46.fc2.com/blog-entry-139.html
TRANSLATED page:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... y-139.html

Broadcast:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv242370275
TRANSLATED page:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... v242370275

Ok. That answers a few of my questions. To sum it up, Sega promo day. I like it!
Attachments
Xbox_2015-11-18_22-52-02.png
@VOTwinstick on Twitter / VOTwinstick on Twitch & Niconico / VO-MC / Temjin from Green Hills to Jupiter!
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

It's a VOOT tournament only. I signed up, though after sending the mail it sent me to a 'thanks' page which timed out on connection. Since this is the VO 20th tournament if I joined any online tourney it might as well be this one. Porcupine and FlyExponent were also showing interest to join.

I was just about to post about this but noticed you already put up a thread, nice! Funnily the blog post seems to say that if there was a low number of entries they would brute force an east vs west game (!?)
Last edited by Zaarock on 21 Nov 2015, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I had too much trouble connecting to that page, I'm guessing my application did not go through, so I also did the following alternate method which is written on the signup form:

<Registration method from a mobile phone>
1. "Pilot name"
2. "Using Character"
3. "XBOX360 gamertag"
4. "presence or absence of a microphone."
Please send to xbox360voot@gmail.com: an email with the above items e-mail address.
It will have registered ask to tournament 24 hours before.

<Participation registration method from XBOX live message>
1. "Pilot name"
2. "Using Character"
3. "XBOX360 gamertag"
4. "presence or absence of a microphone."
Please send to xbox360voot: a message that describes the above items gamer tag.
It will have registered ask to tournament 24 hours before.

I put Porcupine for my pilot name.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Also a clarification on the time of the tournament:

I wasn't sure exactly what day it was, as specifying midnight on Saturday (Japan time) is slightly ambiguous and raises the question on whether it's actually Saturday or Sunday (in Japan). But elsewhere on the page it says "Entry deadline 11/21 (Saturday) 23:00" which means the tournament must start at the end of Saturday in Japan, 24:00 midnight. In America most people would call that 00:00 on Sunday.

Anyway, don't forget that Japan is almost a day ahead of us in the USA, so this means the tournament is being held on Saturday morning in the USA. It's the same day we usually gather, except a lot earlier, it will be 5:00 am for me in Hawaii. That might explain the comment about fighting westerners on the blog post, if no Japanese players show up.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Apparently there's a VO4 tournament hosted by Godsgarden two hours before the VOOT one (22:00 JST). Not seeing signups anywhere so I'm assuming it's closed.
Exorcet

Post by Exorcet »

Thanks to Porcupine for letting me know. I sent in a 360 application, waiting for reply I guess.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Soyoka, one of the favorites, won the tournament with Cypher. He entered the tournament under the name 双龍・アスカ・ラングレー "Sohryu Asuka Langley" haha. S Zetto, who has won the all the recent major tournaments with Apharmd B in blowout fashion, was finally defeated. I think he entered under the name それよりバトルフロントやろうぜ! "Let's play Star Wars Battlefront!"

After the tournament was over, I found the bracket here. http://cgi1.plala.or.jp/~putty/voot360/ ... nutop.html

If we'd seen that earlier we could have worried less about who successfully registered. We only knew Zaarock had gotten in. Varryochoco almost didn't wake up in time for his match. VOTwinstick didn't get in, so probably the only way that worked was the form that gave us errors. I received a message at the very last grouping. I mistakenly registered under the name "Fei-Yen" because I had briefly written that into the form as my name, before erasing it.

We roughly performed as expected. If we are lucky, we can get easier matches that are winnable for us, but overall the competition is strong so even good players might get eliminated in the first round. I managed to win one match, I'm not sure against who, but was killed by S Zetto immediately afterward. (After my death I tried to send my 気 across the ocean to Soyoka to increase his power level). If more of us enter, someone could get easier draws or favorable matchups, and go deeper in these tournaments. In casual matches just prior to and after the tournament, FlyExponent and me beat players who won their blocks. I think Schooly D could easily reach the finals, he still seems to be getting stronger each time I see him.
Palmpoa
Gamertag: Palmpoa

Post by Palmpoa »

-
Last edited by Palmpoa on 30 Jul 2016, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

16.33 (.021)
21 VR...
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

Is there a different link to the bracket? I can't get that link to work for me. Also, any videos up?

Nice work taking on Japan. I couldn't be there since I was traveling for the holidays. Maybe next time I'll jump in, though I'm always worried that I'll steal a win from someone way better than me due to lag.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

The bracket link is on the exact same site as the registration form for the tournament, no wonder it is almost impossible to load. I recommend just keep hitting refresh, it will work eventually. Took me a lot of tries. If you want to register for the next online tournament, it will probably be the exact same way, unless someone tells them we can't access it. Apparently it only works well within Japan. Zaarock tried using a japan proxy as a test and said it worked perfectly.

Don't know if any videos will be uploaded. I don't even really know how to use niconico, twitch, or twitter. Maybe VOTwinstick or others will know. The most recent replay I uploaded to the leaderboard is of S Zetto killing me. Right under me, setzer006 uploaded his tournament match against S Zetto in the next round, that he lost only by an inch. I don't think anyone else uploaded tournament replays.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

A week later, Japanese players still link to the original live video stream. Unfortunately you have to pay to watch it now? In niconico money? Maybe it's this way because there were other Sega games in this event. http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv242702300

Like the last online tournament, moteen put up his own stream of some of the early bracket matches. I can't watch that link though, as twitch in Hawaii gets like 4 fps. http://www.twitch.tv/moteen/v/26940325
VOTwinstick

Post by VOTwinstick »

I missed my "time shift" viewing reservation time. End date was the 29th. So I didn't get to record it. Maybe someone else did... We wait to see. Now the Nico "Time Shift" link on page is gone.