Tournament info goes here!!
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

1st Annual Oratan.com Winter Classic

Post by Schooly D »

Fri Jan 29 UPDATE:

Sign-ups are looking good! Thanks everyone for registering

To facilitate communication, please join this Discord (chat) server sometime before the tournament: https://discord.gg/0nRIlLpzu8cx1Jgu

The more people we have in here, the easier it will be to manage groups, streams, matches, and whatnot.

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/753904858076070/

Tournament link: http://challonge.com/oratanwc2016

GAME:
Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram (Xbox 360)

DATE:
Saturday January 30 4:00 PM (Pacific)

WHERE:
Xbox Live

ENTRY FEE:
$0

FORMAT:
Group stage (round robin) -> Tournament bracket (double-elimination)

SETTINGS:
Rounds to win: 2
Games to win: 3 / 4 (grand finals)
Time: 80 seconds
Raiden: Allowed
Random stages
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Palmpoa
Gamertag: Palmpoa

Re: 1st Annual Oratan.com Winter Classic

Post by Palmpoa »

-
Last edited by Palmpoa on 30 Jul 2016, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

16.33 (.021)
21 VR...
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Guerlain and Specineff not allowed
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

VR switching is allowed between opponents and after losses? Lots of people online recently, maybe there'll be a good turnout!

Porcupine: don't use giant jaguarandi ok
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Palmpoa wrote:Why is Raiden Allowed even considered a category? Is there something I'm not aware of? (Not that I'm complaining.)
I'm just having some fun with the fact that I hate Raiden.
Zaarock wrote:VR switching is allowed like in other western tournaments? Lots of people online recently, maybe there'll be a good turnout!
I think we'll do something like you can go into your match with any VR, but during a match you can only change if you lost the last game.

E.g:
Player A and Player B are going to play
Player A uses Raiden, Player B uses Temjin
Player A wins Game 1
Player B can switch for Game 2, Player A cannot

It does seem like there's still a solid western playerbase, so I'm hoping for a good turnout too. The biggest problem is that there are a lot of people who like Virtual-On but refuse to compete in tournaments. I've already gotten a few messages to the effect of "I really hope the tournament does well but I'm not going to play because I suck." It's unfortunate because if these people really do want the game to do well, the best thing they could do is compete and generate buzz/interest. We'd all much rather have 16+ players of varying skill than 4 killers.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Are we keeping it English circle only, or is anyone and their dog allowed?
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Anyone's allowed
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Oh cool, this is as good of a reason as any to get back into VOOT. It has been on the back of my mind for a while but this gives me a little more of a push. I can only imagine how comically bad I am after not playing for years haha.
Schooly D wrote:The biggest problem is that there are a lot of people who like Virtual-On but refuse to compete in tournaments. I've already gotten a few messages to the effect of "I really hope the tournament does well but I'm not going to play because I suck." It's unfortunate because if these people really do want the game to do well, the best thing they could do is compete and generate buzz/interest. We'd all much rather have 16+ players of varying skill than 4 killers.
I'm as pessimistic as the next guy, but I don't see the downside of signing up. I'm sure I'll get crushed, but it's just a friendly competition. What's the worst that could happen? You're never really losing as long as you get to play some VOOT. 8-)
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Eh, why not.

Just need to confirm that I still have a working 360 controller and then re-sub to Gold for the first time in years.

EDIT: I'm kind of a legit fighting game streamer now and have upgraded my capture equipment a lot since this game came out. If you haven't already tasked someone with uploading replays for this then I'd be happy to do it.

I also thought that the $15 stated in the OP was the price of entry for this tournament, but considering that I don't see any payout info, I'm going to assume that that's just referring to the price of the game itself?

Also, was it even possible to select stages manually in an Xbox Live match? I was going to request that the loser of each game be allowed to counter-pick the stage for the next game (in addition to counter-picking the character), but I'm not sure if that would even be possible to do.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

I can record/stream brackets and replays too. So can Twinstick I guess?

15$ is the price of the game I'm pretty sure. There's no way to select stage online. We used to have banning stages in some event on this forum but that would be a lot of hassle in with a larger tournament like this with also japanese players. Counter picking stage would give major problems to some VRs (unholy cathedral has 0 cover), never seen it done for VOOT.
Nice to see you guys pop up again!
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Thanks for the stream offers, guys. That'd be great! I was hoping to keep the group placement as random as possible, but maybe I can keep it semi-random by placing a streamer in each group with the other entrants randomized (unless we get more than two Japanese players, in which case they'll probably get a group of their own)

There is no entry fee for the tournament. $15 is the price of the game. I should probably make that more clear on the promotional materials. Thanks for the heads up!
Exorcet

Post by Exorcet »

With everyone coming back to be a part of this, it looks fun. I'll join too. Good luck all.
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Fredo EA8D

Post by Fredo »

I'm in ! :D

I haven't played for a while so I won't probably go very far in the tournament but meh. :lol:
VOOT: Raiden, Apharmd C, Apharmd B, Cypher, Temjin

French VO Pilot !
VOTwinstick
Gamertag: VOTwinstick

Post by VOTwinstick »

3 hr. YouTube Live stream "test" for Oratan.com 1st WC "prep" VOOT Battles was pretty much... a success! Test was to see if YouTube Gaming thing streaming is worth an effort of using and or viable option to Twitch for, (if wanted) Winter Classic broadcasting. I used YTG once a month ago but still haven't researched all the bennies of the service. I did try to watch the stream on my phone... found out you got to install YTG app for the live stream. And a viewer, Cypher guy told me to turn down the tunes... to hear the Xbox party chat...so all the hoot & hollers... eventually become heard. Well, it's there for your review. Let me know if you any concerns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g15HMH1LEE0
@VOTwinstick on Twitter / VOTwinstick on Twitch & Niconico / VO-MC / Temjin from Green Hills to Jupiter!
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

PhantomPhotonX did really well that day. If that is his true power, he could win the tournament. I went 50-50 with him in your video because you didn't watch all the ones where I lost. Or maybe you lent me your power when you were watching. PhantomPhotonX said he was afraid I would make him sick over the Internet. :mrgreen:

PhantomPhotonX also did the best against Japanese player TASUKETE ERINNN, whose style and strengths seem to counter Schooly D. This makes me think that maybe in the weeks after the tournament, we could try to invite the Japanese players and organize our western Tower Challenge I originally planned...2 years ago...http://www.oratan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1498
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

I think Schooly will win as I still don't have a good answer to his Cypher, during the games we played before our party formed. That was my first day back to VOOT after 6+ months (maybe a year?), so that may have been the rust falling off, but he was in top form, while I was not, and am not likely to be anytime soon. :-)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

You know yourself best, but something to keep in mind is that when you don't play for a long time (like a year, but not like ten years) when you come back you may be rusty but your mind is more open and you could randomly fight better than you ever have before, and be ripe for further evolution. It's actually one of the best ways to train, once you get to a certain point.

Since it looks like Schooly's planned format has lengthy sets, it's more likely that he will win. If we played Japanese-style (1 match sets in a random tournament bracket) he could lose due to randomness. The top Japanese players always manage to win even in that format. Perhaps they have a super mode. I have a super mode but I don't think I'll be able to use it against Schooly D because it has a time limit and I am sick.
speakxj7
Gamertag: speakxj7

Post by speakxj7 »

noted. i'll look into my schedule and re-upping on gold.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Our Japanese friend Katenasasosu will be joining the tournament, and that I'll l probably be his translator that day.

Just one thing, the tournament is happening (beeeeep) Sunday in Japan right?

edited: in case Katenasasou checks this forum
Last edited by shamanic_beat on 28 Jan 2016, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

shamanic_beat wrote:Our Japanese friend Katenasasosu will be joining the tournament, and that I'll l probably be his translator that day.

Just one thing, the tournament is happening 3AM Sunday in Japanese right?
He'll have to sign up on Challonge for the grouping and matching to work.

The time is on the infographic in the OP, but I'm pretty sure it's not 3AM Japan time.