Team Battle or Tower Challenge

Tournament info goes here!!
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Team Battle or Tower Challenge

Post by Porcupine »

If you can still participate while at Winter Brawl then that's great, otherwise we can always move the date (and update the flyer). Is anyone else going to Winter Brawl?

The good thing I can say about VarryoChoco is that at least he is consistent in his belief regarding lag. He would do the same in the middle of a tournament, or against most opponents regardless of their skill level. So even if we don't fully agree with his belief, I can respect it. I actually don't play other fighting games because the lag (pure response time, not jerkiness and stability as we were talking about here) is too large in Hawaii. I also don't like rollback netcode and consider it to be worse than traditional (many people disagree with me on this) especially when the lag is large. Some games like Street Fighter 4 (I only played it briefly since it was free) I can't even connect to half the people in the world, the match is super jerky and unstable and I get blackscreened out.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

I'm in. My Gold is expired but I'll renew in time for the event.

MentholMo0se - Grys-Vok
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Thanks, hope you make it MentholMoose. I've been trying to get others to register but haven't had much success. Unsure if Exorcet will enter. He was supposed to be the 5th major player on my team. At this point I would say the event date of 2/27 has been set. It's too close to change it now.

Zaarock, are you going to use multiple VR? Schooly, who do you want to use? I'll confirm who I want to use after Schooly and Zaarock do, since I want the total number of VRs to be somewhat fair between the captains. Zaarock is also like a captain because he is Goku.

Interestingly, the comic battle rules are turning out to be like the ones I made up! Winner is forced to stay out; losing team then counterpicks strategically. I didn't expect that. Even the "multiple character" rule may turn out to be in effect because it appears Goku has already lost, yet may somehow be allowed to come back in later.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Well I flunked the intelligence portion then because these tournament rules are getting too complicated for me.
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

I'll go ahead and state the obvious, and this should help keep things simple.

I enter as Temjin. Only Temjin.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

It's starting to seem like few people will be joining this event. Darkrai and VarryoChoco informed me that they won't be able to attend. Exorcet remains uncommitted, and I wouldn't be surprised if FlyExponent forgets and Zaarock fails to wake up. If we are lucky a few rookies might show up, but it won't be much of a battle if it's everyone vs Porcupine. Keeping that in mind, I'll formally register just two VR: Fei-Yen and Temjin. That's contingent upon Schooly using only one VR. Depending who shows up, we can also just get rid of multiple VRs and I'll use Fei-Yen alone.

If the turnout is poor, after a short Team Battle we can do general training for next month's Tower Challenge, which the Japanese players have showed good interest in.

Everyone vs Schooly would make sense but I don't want to do that this weekend because that would be effectively identical to Schooly challenging our Western Tower, which can be a part of next month.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

I'll see if I can show up.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Zaarock - Cypher, Fei-Yen

remove fei if need less VRs
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Seeing two Fei-Yens makes me think there should be at least one Angelan, but Zaarock is much better with Angelan than me, so if he's not using her then I won't either. Sole Survivor uses Angelan, if he participates.

If Schooly wants to, I think he can register 2 or 3 VR, now. He can always choose not to use some of them, if less people show up on the opposing team than expected.
Exorcet

Post by Exorcet »

That poster should be in the first post so I can tell when the tournament is without hunting down the time lol. 7PM EST tonight, I can be there, Cypher + Raiden.

Is there going to be a chat or something like the Winter tourney? I just want to be clear on the rules and such.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Some rules are in the post I made just under the poster picture.

I'm too lazy to do the chat thing, but it would be great if either Schooly or Zaarock streams. If both of them want to stream, then I suggest one of them always shows the DNA side while the other one always shows RNA side. Maybe we could even align matches so that one team is always DNA side while the other team is always RNA side. (The challenger is always the RNA side).

Compared to a tournament, this type of event should probably have more microphone communication. Since it would be fun to plan out strategy to decide who to send to fight next. If you don't have a microphone that's fine, as long as you can hear other people talking through your TV. Since we will need 2 parties to hold everyone, a stream would be a great way for the main party to communicate with the inactive (dead, or waiting) party. Someone in the inactive party watching the stream can tell the inactive party what's going on, while they play casual matches freely.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Event is over. The turnout was pretty bad, MentholMoose and FlyExponent didn't show up so we did some last minute rearrangement of VR allocation to make things fair. PhantomPhotonX was a lot better with Specineff and Fei-Yen than I would have expected, despite his professed dislike of other VRs. The multiple VR rule saved the event and I think we should continue it. No new players showed up, despite my invitations. However, FlyExponent and Sole Survivor showed up afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNg1KqLCopY

Zaarock ended up sweeping Schooly's entire team by himself. Soyoka said he was cheering for us and is happy that we won, because he recognized this as a new vs old generation battle. Katenasasosu said that things might have been different if MentholMoose had showed up. They didn't make any mention of Schooly holding back by not using Cypher.

The Tower Challenge is coming up next. Since there is no pressure to perform maybe we can get more people. We need to make sure we have at least 6 to 7 players, preferably all using different VR, to create the tower. If we have extra players, some can rotate in and out of the tower, make a second easier tower, or challenge our own tower. Schooly can get his revenge by challenging and sweeping our tower.

I've also thought up a new idea, that any Japanese player who beats our tower can become part of it, as the Tower King. This is actually what the Japanese players do for their own tower battles. Except that we will only allow one Japanese player, in the boss position only. Maybe after becoming the king, the Japanese player has to change to Raiden. Otherwise the king will be too hard for other challengers to overthrow.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Porcupine wrote:The multiple VR rule saved the event and I think we should continue it.
I'm still not a fan of this rule since it's unfair for Shamanic, FlyExponent, PPX, etc.
Forcing multiple VR makes for a entertaining event but not really for serious team tourney. I guess it's fine for these more casual battles though.

Looking forward to the tower battles with japanese challengers, that should be a lot of fun!
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

https://twitter.com/KATENASASOSU/status ... 8617323522

Can we get a translation of this Twitter thread?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Sorry I missed it. Next time I need to put it on my calendar. Also for future events please keep the OP updated with important details (date, time, stream links, etc.).
MentholMoose
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Schooly D wrote:https://twitter.com/KATENASASOSU/status ... 8617323522

"According to Shamanic's information, Zaarock took down the opposing team by himself. (∵;) w"
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I'll make a new thread in a couple weeks for the Tower Challenge, until then we can continue to talk here. I plan to make a similar picture with the rules in Japanese, if I can figure out how to write them. I have a lot of things to do in real life, hopefully I will have enough time.

Katenasasosu and Soyoka said a few other things, but I could not make any sense of it and Google translate failed miserably.
VOTwinstick
Gamertag: VOTwinstick

Post by VOTwinstick »

My handy dandy Bing translator says:

"According to shamanic info and defeat all opposing team they rock, this overseas census team battle seems to be over..(∵;) w"

P.S. Sorry, I missed the Thing Saturday. Was attending a wedding at the time.
@VOTwinstick on Twitter / VOTwinstick on Twitch & Niconico / VO-MC / Temjin from Green Hills to Jupiter!
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

shamanic_beat wrote:
Schooly D wrote:https://twitter.com/KATENASASOSU/status ... 8617323522

"According to Shamanic's information, Zaarock took down the opposing team by himself. (∵;) w"
There's a whole thread to it though, looks like the conversation goes on for a number of tweets. Google translate only seems to return gibberish
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

First several tweets are about finding streams and recording of the tournament.
- Something about Team B short on people and padding it with extra VRs
- something about Phantom's... ass?
- "Please think of Shamanic"...
- Things would be different if Menthol showed up

The second to last tweet is something too complex for me to comprehend, except for
- a dangerous Seabass Hunter
- revenge
- party crashing
- mendoru
- a bloody-thirsty Katenanasosu

Last tweet "I wouldn't do that!" - Katenasasosu. And something about trading Porcupine.

What in god's name is going on?

PS: On a semi-related note, Soyoka tweeted Feb 27th about the "new four heavenly king" beating the old generation. Pretty sure that was tweeted before finding out the specifics of how things went down.