Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram gameplay/strategy wiki on Mizuumi & 2019 advanced guide

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram gameplay/strategy wiki on Mizuumi & 2019 advanced guide

Post by Zaarock »

A new Wiki page for VOOT created on Mizuumi: https://wiki.gbl.gg/w/Virtual-On_Oratorio_Tangram

EDIT: The google doc will be outdated and contents were copied there.
I wrote an in-depth guide to versus gameplay in VOOT over the last few months, it can be read here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ea0 ... sp=sharing
It has detailed info on various system mechanics, advanced techniques and character information. Some sourced from this forum and various japanese wiki pages.

I'll update it to match details of the upcoming PS4 port. I might move the guide to another platform later once it's truly complete for easier reading.
Planning to make a series of video tutorials that are more approachable for new players (and other reasons). But this took a lot of work so I might take it easy for a bit.
Last edited by Zaarock on 05 Sep 2020, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram 2019 versus guide (for PS4)

Post by somepunk »

I always lurk, but I logged in just to thank you for writing this. Many techniques I've been curious of over the years are documented here, this is wonderful.
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Zaarock's guide has good instructions for fundamentals and strategy for play as well as advanced techniques, so there should be something for everyone. I was considering to write a guide focusing on fundamentals and strategy but never got around to it. I might still do it someday but it may be a bit different coming from a basic Temjin/Fei-Yen style player.

Thus far I've mostly written about techniques and advanced mechanics. They don't necessarily help you know how to play. It's like knowing the rules of chess, or the rules of physics. But even knowing those you might still be bad at chess or not know how to make anything practical. They aren't necessarily the same sorts of knowledge.

I like that Zaarock did not quite explain all details of certain strategic principles. I would, but then I might create an army of Temjin players. My way of explaining would probably be good if there was a VO war and we need a drill instructor to quickly make a whole bunch of mediocre Temjin grunts who can fight decently.

Sometimes you can have players who have put a lot of time into the game and know a lot of advanced things but lack in certain kinds of fundamentals. I once took the time to explain my views of basic tactics to someone like this and I think it helped him eventually become one of our competitive English-speaking players.

We also need to know when to hold back explanation to let players discover and evolve on their own. That's the best way for truly new ideas and styles to arise, or for students to surpass their teacher. So I'd prefer to teach only the basics, then treat someone as an equal and discuss whatever I'm currently working on myself. The middle stuff which is actually almost everything, I try to let someone else develop on their own.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

I agree that the strategy section is what could be expanded on the most, and I probably will. But at that point it might be best to separate the larger sections.

Thanks somepunk!
senappa
Gamertag: Senappa

Post by senappa »

Good stuff. I can tell you've put a ton of work in to this, and it's certainly appreciated!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Very nice!
MentholMoose
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Zaarock »

Thanks guys. This past week the content from that guide has been moved to a new Wiki on Mizuumi (alongside various fighting game wikis). That should be the most up to date location for this stuff, and open for edits from others.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram gameplay/strategy wiki on Mizuumi & 2019 advanced guide

Post by MentholMoose »

Bookmarked. Thanks for the update!
MentholMoose