Funny Fei-Yen tournament

Tournament info goes here!!
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Funny Fei-Yen tournament

Post by Porcupine »

A recent Japanese tournament was held with the rule that everyone must use Fei-Yen. (There will be tournaments for other VR in the future, except we already missed the Raiden one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5hK1hyVoCQ&t=4044

I was Porshipine and Borkupine in this one, hehe. Vogel was called Borgen Bon. There aren't many Fei-Yen players in VOOM since she isn't very good, but quite a few Japanese players were willing to try Fei-Yen out to participate, and a fair number of them seemed to have practiced with her in preparation.

https://challonge.com/6l8bfikg

The tournament mostly played out as expected. Izuko has been alone as the master Fei-Yen for decades and is leagues ahead of everyone else. I think Izuko's round losses prior to quarterfinals were because Izuko was not playing seriously. Izuko is known for playing around in ranked matches with almost everyone. This is in part because Izuko is so strong, but also because Fei-Yen is weak, so a frivolous style is one approach to using her.

Both vicsicle and Vogel played well. The missing strong Feis that I know of were BraveSaga from korea (whom vicsicle actually beat in the previous tournament) and dan hohho, who doesn't main Fei but can use her very well, like ifield. Apparently KGT (ari01118791) is also good with Fei, according to ifield. From the chat comments it seems like surface0 is an ancient power Japanese Fei-Yen whom I'd never seen before.

I performed well enough. The chat and announcer commentary for my matches was good. Normally everyone cheers for me (as a Fei-Yen) but for this contest, it was sometimes better to cheer for me to be killed. I like that since it shows a general acknowledgement of where I'm at now. My match against Izuko seemed decently competitive.

Izuko has won 3 out of the last 4 Japanese tournaments, even including using Fei-Yen to defeat Apharmd in the prior Mokujin final, so maybe Izuko is starting to have hope for that matchup again? For me I just need to improve in general, because my Fei-Yen and Temjin still perform comparably against other Apharmds and Temjins.