Share your VO experience or history

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
LordOfMeep

Re: Share your VO experience or history

Post by LordOfMeep »

Knoxximus wrote:
LordOfMeep wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:Wow, very cool, it sounds like your school had a relatively popular scene! My school had a standard OMG machine, but I only ever cared about VOOT, so I don't know if anyone ever played. Did you keep in touch with any of those players, or know if they will be playing VER.5.66 online?
Sadly no. Never really got any contact information, and didn't know I'd be leaving college as soon as I did...

EDIT: To clarify, this was at the University of Nevada Las Vegas. Though the one friend I do talk to rarely said that later the VOOT machine eventually left. There's only one other guy from Vegas on these forums and his experience with VO seems rather limited to be among our old group.
Hey, I went to UNLV too (1998 - 2000). What year was this? When I was there, the union had a big screen Tekken 3 machine, MvC2, and some other odds and ends.

Who else in here is from Vegas? Are you still out here? I just took 3rd place at a SF4 tourney at the Game Crazy on Nellis/Stewart last night. 8-)
Around 2003-2005? Unfortunately I don't have a car or license and I don't get out much due to obligations I have but if I did I'd probably try to figure out what happened to that VOOT machine. That, and try to find the Vegas Smash Bros. scene while I'm at it :lol:
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

LordOfMeep wrote:
Knoxximus wrote:
LordOfMeep wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:Wow, very cool, it sounds like your school had a relatively popular scene! My school had a standard OMG machine, but I only ever cared about VOOT, so I don't know if anyone ever played. Did you keep in touch with any of those players, or know if they will be playing VER.5.66 online?
Sadly no. Never really got any contact information, and didn't know I'd be leaving college as soon as I did...

EDIT: To clarify, this was at the University of Nevada Las Vegas. Though the one friend I do talk to rarely said that later the VOOT machine eventually left. There's only one other guy from Vegas on these forums and his experience with VO seems rather limited to be among our old group.
Hey, I went to UNLV too (1998 - 2000). What year was this? When I was there, the union had a big screen Tekken 3 machine, MvC2, and some other odds and ends.

Who else in here is from Vegas? Are you still out here? I just took 3rd place at a SF4 tourney at the Game Crazy on Nellis/Stewart last night. 8-)
Around 2003-2005? Unfortunately I don't have a car or license and I don't get out much due to obligations I have but if I did I'd probably try to figure out what happened to that VOOT machine. That, and try to find the Vegas Smash Bros. scene while I'm at it :lol:
Very interesting! During around 1999 to 2002, the VOOT scenes in Socal and Washington state were quite active, but died by about 2003. A Socal arcade even has a VER.5.66 arcade cabinet from about 2001 to 2003. I don't recall ever seeing info on any VO-related forums about any VOOT scene in LV, or else I would have checked it out! I'm in Socal, and I flew to Washington a couple times for VOOT, so driving to Vegas would have been no problem. Oh well, that's ancient history now!
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
LordOfMeep wrote:
Knoxximus wrote:
LordOfMeep wrote:

Very interesting! During around 1999 to 2002, the VOOT scenes in Socal and Washington state were quite active, but died by about 2003. A Socal arcade even has a VER.5.66 arcade cabinet from about 2001 to 2003. I don't recall ever seeing info on any VO-related forums about any VOOT scene in LV, or else I would have checked it out! I'm in Socal, and I flew to Washington a couple times for VOOT, so driving to Vegas would have been no problem. Oh well, that's ancient history now!
Geez...and nobody told me UNLV had a VOOT machine in 2003-2005. *facepalm*

Oh yeah, today is my birthday....36 years old today. When those "whipper snappers" at the SF4 tourney found that out they looked like they were gonna have a heart attack! Gettin' it from Gramps! :lol:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Heh, happy B-day man ^^
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Happy Birthday :D
DarK-SuN

Post by DarK-SuN »

Happy Birthday. :)
GamerTag: Ichimoto
VOOM: Apharmd and Raiden VR Pilot
VOOT: Apharmd B, Apharmd C and Raiden VR Pilot
MARZ: Apharmd J, APJ AC, Apharmd HATTER and Raiden VR Pilot
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Thanks guys. :)
Kaiser Dragon

Post by Kaiser Dragon »

There isn't much to say about my VO experience. I remember seeing VOOM around as a young boy, but my parents weren't big on giving me money to blow at an arcade, so I would always watch the demo play out, mesmerized by the big robots and pretty explosions. I do vaguely remember playing once as Raiden, but I really had no grasp of the controls and got destroyed in my third match with the CPU (I think it would've helped if I took the time to read everything around the arcade machine BEFORE sticking my quarters in). And that was pretty much it; when VOOT hit the Dreamcast, I had a Playstation instead. When Virtual On MARZ hit the PS2, I heard it was a horrible game from both critics and VO fans alike and therefore didn't give it a second thought. By the time I started going to arcades, the machines were long gone. Thus VO has always remained a game that I respect and like, but was ultimately elusive of my grasp. Now that VOOT is hitting XBLA, I can finally get over that one time I played without knowing what the hell I was doing; VO is finally within my reach, and this time I'm not letting go. :mrgreen:
Heart and sword are one
A blade to cleave all Evil
My path becomes clear
DarK-SuN

Post by DarK-SuN »

Welcome aboard, Kaiser Dragon!
You'll love Virtual ON for sure, glad it's now within your reach. :)
GamerTag: Ichimoto
VOOM: Apharmd and Raiden VR Pilot
VOOT: Apharmd B, Apharmd C and Raiden VR Pilot
MARZ: Apharmd J, APJ AC, Apharmd HATTER and Raiden VR Pilot
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Welcome Kaiser Dragon! Nice avatar too, btw. Wing Zero? :P Oh and Knox...Happy Birthday dude! 36 isn't old at all man. You're not gramps...you're an older brother. lol
"Nuh uh uh"
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Kaiser Dragon wrote:There isn't much to say about my VO experience. I remember seeing VOOM around as a young boy, but my parents weren't big on giving me money to blow at an arcade, so I would always watch the demo play out, mesmerized by the big robots and pretty explosions. I do vaguely remember playing once as Raiden, but I really had no grasp of the controls and got destroyed in my third match with the CPU (I think it would've helped if I took the time to read everything around the arcade machine BEFORE sticking my quarters in). And that was pretty much it; when VOOT hit the Dreamcast, I had a Playstation instead. When Virtual On MARZ hit the PS2, I heard it was a horrible game from both critics and VO fans alike and therefore didn't give it a second thought. By the time I started going to arcades, the machines were long gone. Thus VO has always remained a game that I respect and like, but was ultimately elusive of my grasp. Now that VOOT is hitting XBLA, I can finally get over that one time I played without knowing what the hell I was doing; VO is finally within my reach, and this time I'm not letting go. :mrgreen:
Oh man...ur childhood sounds a lot like mine! Now that I make my own money, I buy everything on sight! LOL!

Welcome aboard! Me and u can start the n00b pilot's club! ^_^
Kaiser Dragon

Post by Kaiser Dragon »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
RVR - 42 wrote:Welcome Kaiser Dragon! Nice avatar too, btw. Wing Zero? :P
It's actually the RX-78-2, though seeing how many Gundam heads follow the same general design guidelines I don't blame you for mistaking them. :geek:
Knoxximus wrote:Oh man...ur childhood sounds a lot like mine! Now that I make my own money, I buy everything on sight! LOL!

Welcome aboard! Me and u can start the n00b pilot's club! ^_^
lol, I'm down with the n00b club. I'll keep spamming a move not because it's useful, but just because it looks cool. :lol:
Heart and sword are one
A blade to cleave all Evil
My path becomes clear
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

RX-78-2...ok I see. Nice. And I feel ya on the spamming a move just becomes it looks cool. :P
"Nuh uh uh"
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Found a machine in Ottawa along time ago, played around on that. Moved to Toronto, first thing I do, choose Bal-Bas-Bow. Came in and everyone thought I was an idiot. Left and they hated/feared me. Watched as the arcade chanaged management and got OT. Disappeared for a bit, lost all faith in humanity, and now I'm back...

@Aya: Do you still have that Grys-Vok Winamp skin? I have the Cypher one still installed, but the other one is gone.

@TurboVec: Keychains. Now.
Unsubliminal

Post by Unsubliminal »

I remember the original Dreamcast days...I got one online back in 1998(JP). First time in history u had a living breathing arcade in a box. What was ultimately cool in the beginning was Maahvel Vs Capcom. I hate that game now but it was arcade perfect and I don't care what anyone says Dreamcast is sega's best system. Crazy Taxi??? :lol:

Well we all know how great it was and it was definately better than the PS2 in its first year. When VOOT was announced I grabbed it because it reminded me of Cybersled and I used to play that at the pizza palors. But oh was it like 1000x better. My best friend had a Saturn but VOOM was like the one game he didn't have so never got a chance to play and I don't recall any arcades around that time that had either. I read up about it and knew that VOOT was a sequel to an already legendary game. I had to buy another console (US) and learned that I couldn't get the system link to work even though I could get the import VOOT working on the US console with the bootdisk. So i just purchased another import console and finally got it working. Then when the US version came out I bought another US console and and 2 copies of the game so I could read the menus. I'm compulsive like that but what can I say I love this game. I went into the business of buying and selling Saturn/DC twinsticks on ebay/other. It was like a stock market for these things. I kept 2 DC sticks for myself as I liked them a tiny bit more and didn't have to worry about converters though I wish I would have kept 2 more for obvious reasons. I also played ALOT of Ferrari F355 Challenge system link. Still have the Dreamcast steering wheels. VGA adapters, VMU's, hex drives, fishing pole...I'm a dreamcast fanactic hence my gamertag: dreamcast415

I must admit its a hassle hooking it up to get some VOOT games going knowing I'd only get a few games in with people until they move on to a newer game. So having it on my 360 HD with the online (no 56k LOL) makes it ultra accessible. A-hmmm now about them twin stick mods Menthol Moose haha
Tain

Post by Tain »

Long story short, I picked up the DC release day one, loved how the game worked on paper, but never had much human competition. The 360 release honestly feels like my first real look at the game; even though I'm familiar with a lot of mechanics, I'm practically just now learning how they pan out competitively.
fliptopbox

Post by fliptopbox »

MentholMoose wrote:I don't recall ever seeing info on any VO-related forums about any VOOT scene in LV, or else I would have checked it out! I'm in Socal, and I flew to Washington a couple times for VOOT, so driving to Vegas would have been no problem. Oh well, that's ancient history now!
We were somewhere near Barstow, around the edge of the desert, when the v-crystals began to take hold.

I remember saying something like: I feel a bit VO-positive. Maybe you should drive.

Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full of what looked like small airplanes, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming: Holy Jesus. What are these goddamn virtuaroids?

What? No. We can't stop here. This is cypher country.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

fliptopbox wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:I don't recall ever seeing info on any VO-related forums about any VOOT scene in LV, or else I would have checked it out! I'm in Socal, and I flew to Washington a couple times for VOOT, so driving to Vegas would have been no problem. Oh well, that's ancient history now!
We were somewhere near Barstow, around the edge of the desert, when the v-crystals began to take hold.

I remember saying something like: I feel a bit VO-positive. Maybe you should drive.

Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full of what looked like small airplanes, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming: Holy Jesus. What are these goddamn virtuaroids?

:lol:
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Welcome aboard all...please have your pilot's licenses ready to present for inspection to begin the renewal process. ;)
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

fliptopbox wrote:

Heck yea! Welcome aboard, welcome aboard.
"Nuh uh uh"