Impressions!

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Impressions!

Post by Schooly D »

Sixfortyfive wrote:evenpar caught me in ranked mode just as my batteries went dead, so I had to track him down and repay the favor!

Some good matches there.
You cheat! I was one match away from evening the record and then you bailed!

I'll get you next time :twisted:
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

sounds like i'd get whooped, i don't have that much experience with the regular controller, or with VOOT for that matter either! :lol:
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

to the best of my basic networking knowlage, regular cat5 cable won't work for system link, unless there's a switch automatically installed in the 360's hardware, you'll need a crossover cable. Not very expensive from radioshack.

Unless, again, i'm missing something regarding the 360 itself...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Ummm...where the HELL is Menthol's modded Twin Stick impressions?!? Inquiring minds want to KNOW!! :twisted:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:to the best of my basic networking knowlage, regular cat5 cable won't work for system link, unless there's a switch automatically installed in the 360's hardware, you'll need a crossover cable. Not very expensive from radioshack.

Unless, again, i'm missing something regarding the 360 itself...
You're probably right. :|
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Knoxximus wrote:Ummm...where the HELL is Menthol's modded Twin Stick impressions?!? Inquiring minds want to KNOW!! :twisted:
XD! Man...I so don't want to miss out on this. I'm making my roommate get this game this summer. Whether he wants it or not. I'll pay him to get it. I gotta get in on the action.
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

The Twin Sticks worked mostly as expected. In the menus it gets confusing since the face buttons are on the right stick (so down is A, right is B, etc.).

I played through arcade mode once to get the achievements and unlock AJIM, and did a score attack run (ranked #394). The Twin Sticks worked fine for this.

I only got in a couple dozen online matches yesterday. My first ranked match was against an Angelan player with a record of 140-97! That's a lot of matches, so I got nervous, but I still won. I went 10-1 for ranked matches, the rest player matches. The lag will take time to get used to. Online play just felt bizarre since it lacks the instant response I'm used to.

I was getting some weird problems when playing online toward the end of the night, but I'm not sure if it was lag, something wrong with my Twin Sticks, or if my timing was just broken by lag. For example, I was playing evenpar123, and I had a lot of problems with dashing crouch RW, and for a while couldn't do it at all! I starting thinking my RW might be broken, so after a failed dashing cRW attempt, I immediately tried a standing RW, which worked fine! Also, I had some other weirdness with inputting cCW, but getting cLW instead. So maybe my RW is messed up, but I didn't see the problem in single player, so I'm not sure. I also had problems with LW (couldn't do double napalm, only a single would come out) for a brief time, too, and so I went into training mode immediately after and still had problems for a few tries, but it went away, so maybe my timing was just temporarily broken.

I'll troubleshoot my Twin Sticks tonight. I can resolder the wires for LW and RW, and redo the crimps. However, I noticed zero problems with turbos or any movement inputs, so probably the crimps are fine. So, maybe instead of using the thumb stick buttons for weapons, I'll try the triggers. Then I'll play a bunch more online to see if it's any better.

The game basically looks the same as DC VOOT, but no aliasing. I didn't notice any slowdown whatsoever due to graphical issues. I think the texture filtering is different, too (DC is either bilinear or trilinear, I would have to double check on Xbox 360 VOOT).
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

It's about time, Menthol! :lol:

Sounds great! Glad things went mostly as expected. I'm probably gonna put in for those freebie connectors tonight. I've already opened up my DC Twin Sticks and have that Mad Catz frankenpad at the ready!

I bet you gave those 9 ranked players the blues! So, who DID you lose to? What Virtualroid/stage/strat? Oh, and how did it feel being back in the saddle on a world stage? It must be like a dream come true for you!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:I bet you gave those 9 ranked players the blues! So, who DID you lose to? What Virtualroid/stage/strat? Oh, and how did it feel being back in the saddle on a world stage? It must be like a dream come true for you!
The match I lost was against a Japanese Apharmd S player on Santuary. His record was like 50-25. He had great maneuvering technique, so it was nearly impossible to hit him with any dash attack. If there was no lag and my timing was really excellent, I might have been able to get a couple of hits in with dash attacks, but really it is too difficult.

His timing was good, and he could handle my napalm technique pretty well, so many dash attacks I tried were punished. I actually got a few hits during the first round, but lost. The second round was pretty even at first, basically we both just dodged attacks for a while, but I got impatient and tried some stupid stuff, so I lost.

It's fun to play with people, and brings back some good memories. Hopefully I can adapt to the lag and get into the game.
MentholMoose
Kaiser Dragon

Post by Kaiser Dragon »

Yesterday one of my dorm buddies went and downloaded the game, so I decided to get a sneak preview before I get it for myself during the weekend. At the time I was expecting it to play out like Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam or a grounded version of Zone of the Enders; boy was I wrong. The biggest issue I have right now are pretty much what I expected them to be; the controls. I've read up on the many techniques needed to be a competent player, but by the time I had the controller in my hands everything just flew out the window; turbo attacks, air dashing, Watari dashing, jump cancels, etc. It was pretty common for me to lose targeting, and my dodging needs a lot of work. I think this is just an experience issue on my part; once I get used to the game, I should have a more intuitive understanding of how the game works and what I should (and shouldn't) be doing in certain situations. My friend and I didn't play online because we were still getting a feel for the controls.

Speaking of controls, I'd like to hear people's opinions on the different configurations. I know I won't be getting some Twin Sticks any time soon, and I have been finding the standard controls (with a few buttons mapped out differently) to be more newb-friendly, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more finer aspects of combat are easier to do on a Twin Stick configuration.

I'm also curious about how blocking works in this game, because I think that would've helped out immensely while I was playing. :oops:
Heart and sword are one
A blade to cleave all Evil
My path becomes clear
VR-Eli

Post by VR-Eli »

Kaiser Dragon wrote: Speaking of controls, I'd like to hear people's opinions on the different configurations. I know I won't be getting some Twin Sticks any time soon, and I have been finding the standard controls (with a few buttons mapped out differently) to be more newb-friendly, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more finer aspects of combat are easier to do on a Twin Stick configuration.

I'm also curious about how blocking works in this game, because I think that would've helped out immensely while I was playing. :oops:
Twinstick A is what I've been using and at first it killed me! My poor ham claws couldn't press the bumpers and triggers as fast as I wanted them to. However after some practice, I've gotten a bit better at it. I tried switching to default, but I can't use them well cause my brain conflicts with the twinstick motions, so I guess I'll be sticking with Twinstick for now.

As for blocking and I guess melee (aka CC or Close Combat) when your weapon meters turn yellow, that means you're in melee distance. Crouch, or push the sticks together to guard against melee attacks. Keep in mind though that this doesn't protect against all melee attacks. Your guard can be broken with a Turbo Melee attack (Using Right Turbo with a CC attack). Also keep in mind that your opponent could just dash away to a distance and hit you at range which you can't block. So for basic defense strategy at range, dodge or neutralize incoming fire. In close range, block or run away if you can (results may vary against Apharmds)
Xbox Gamertag: Mintzaigar
blasterv

Post by blasterv »

Just as the guy above said, no matter how hard I try I can't remap the twin sticks because my brain is hardwired to it from playing in the arcade so much.

I did try my own version of the twin stick controls, it helped a lot with melee but I was having trouble doing ranged fast enough.

I put Dash on the Triggers and then used the Joystick buttons as the Left and Right weapons. So pushing the left and right sticks would fire.
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

I think I'm starting to get the hang of the xbox 360 controller. Although I still make alot of errors. The problems i have is sometimes i'd try to press something like LTCW and it would do just a CW or something. and my CW would be on high % so i know i have enough energy to use the move. But the timing on pressing the bumper and the analog triggers together sometimes mess me up.
Sometimes I also try dashing diagonally forward but accidently dash straight forward and find myself exploding inside a flurry of rockets or Raiden's huge laser beams.
I think i'm rather newbie at this game :P

Oh and by the way. Did anyone else feel really tripped out when playing on that stage with the transparent floor?
And i'm just wondering.. Why is it when you're vsing an Ajim user, Sometimes the Ajim just randomly blows up and dies? Sometimes when I vs'd an Ajim user i could have sworn i didn't shoot anything at him at the time he died.
Frostycyke

Post by Frostycyke »

Ajim's life slowly depletes over time. You could run around and not lay a finger on Ajim and could possible win if it doesn't kill you first.

Xbox GT- Frostycyke
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Really? I didn't notice it dropping.
That's interesting to know
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

Oh and by the way. Did anyone else feel really tripped out when playing on that stage with the transparent floor?
And i'm just wondering.. Why is it when you're vsing an Ajim user, Sometimes the Ajim just randomly blows up and dies? Sometimes when I vs'd an Ajim user i could have sworn i didn't shoot anything at him at the time he died.

That stage is actually the 5.2 verison of public port. It's like that on the dc version as well :)
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

My arcade Twin Sticks are just not working correctly. I moved LW and RW from the thumbstick buttons to the trigger buttons, and I replaced the left stick PCB, and it seemed better for a while, but later RW started acting up again, and then some buttons stopped working altogether! :lol: I was in a match with (I think) Tain and I couldn't shoot at all, so I just turned off my 360 in frustration. I'm pretty sure my custom wiring harness is just completely messed up with bad crimps, so I'm going to completely redo them before using it again. It could also be the controller, since it was acting strange (it is a Mad Catz after all). My soldering work looks OK, but I'll double check that also.

But anyway, I started using my modded DC Twin Sticks, and those work great. The LT seems a little bit off for some reason, though, so I'll have to take a look at it. Still, they're about 95%. I played 20 or so ranked matches tonight with the DC Twin Sticks and fared pretty well (record is currently something like 28-7).
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

MentholMoose wrote:I'm pretty sure my custom wiring harness is just completely messed up with bad crimps, so I'm going to completely redo them before using it again.
Nothing beats solder for a good connection. I'm in the process of installing some new buttons in a friends arcade stick and I used a crimp spade bits on the wires - half of the buttons don't work! I'm going to go over the whole lot tonight and solder the wires to the crimps to make a solid connection.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

I'm not lying when I say I get more than a little satisfaction from beating the Japanese at their own game. When I win, that is.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

evenpar123 wrote:I'm not lying when I say I get more than a little satisfaction from beating the Japanese at their own game. When I win, that is.
Hahaha! It's not their game. It's the mech lovers of the world's game. :P
"Nuh uh uh"